Whenever I add something it removes my head or piece of clothing

tanziibabii

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You probably are using the default viewer. But, things work better if you tell us which viewer when you ask for help on a technical issue.

Right-click your avatar and select Edit My Outfit. In the panel that opens there are three sections; Clothes, Attachments, and Body Parts. In the Attachments row there is a note saying (## slots remain). If this is zero, you cannot add more attachments.

In your Inventory you can right-click and item to wear and you get 4 choices.

image.png.5ca92f7fec736e3c74b9e261d501ee58.png WEAR will cause any item currently worn on the target attachment point to be removed and the new item replaces it. ADD will add the item to the target attachment point and both items will be attached. Unless you have reached the maximum number of attachments for an avatar. The 'Attach to..." options let you change an item's attachment point.

The max for an avatar is 38 attachments and HUDs. See Second Life Limits.

All 38 items can be on one attachment point. Once you get to 38 you'll have to take something off to add something new.

If you have less than 38 items and adding causes something to come off, try moving to another region and then relog.

Piling lots of attachments on the same attachment point is a bad idea. Once more than 3 or so are on a point some tend to come off when crossing into another region or during TP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

try giving your mouse a thorough clean

i find that the viewer is very sensitive to mouse input actions. When my mouse gets a bit gummed up then it starts doing random stuff like, picking the wrong inventory items, removing stuff when it should be adding stuff, adding when it shouldn't, etc

• Thanks 1

Many items attach by default to the right hand. Using your head as an example - take it off, open inventory and find the head, right click it and scroll down to "add to...". Look through the list of attachment points and choose one which you know you won't use for something else - attach there.

• Thanks 1

Dano has the right idea.

I'll add that the point you use should make sense. Attaching hair to the Skull, a shirt to the spine, etc. Also, whatever else is attached there influences your choice. 

The only difference it makes is when you start to wear other things and use more animations. Then mesh and fitted mesh can make for conflicts. Fitted or aka "rigged" mesh will appear where it is supposed to and animate correctly no matter where attached. Well, with the exception of HUD locations. Mesh unrigged can still be attached anywhere and adjusted to look correct. But, animations will mess it up and it will look odd if it is not on the correct (reasonable?) attachmant point.

Is certain popular hair maker that they hair always attaches to your chin, so I spent 10-15 mins other day attaching to skull and seriously who wants a hairy chin?! :D :P Though won't stop me buying from them, i will just do same and move to skull as easy fix. :)  Although some items I own, I do change to different attachment points as the point I move it to; well to me makes more sense. :) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.