Sasun Steinbeck

Name change problems, llKey2Name vs x-secondlife-owner-name

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If I have an avatar that recently changed their name and give them a scripted object that calls llKey2Name(llGetOwner()), it works correctly (it returns their new name). However if the same object sends an HTTP request, llGetHTTPHeader(ID, "x-secondlife-owner-name") returns their OLD name.

Is this just a timing issue, are these two methods of getting a legacy name going to be in sync some time soon? I'm assuming that's the case... I don't know exactly when the avatar in question changed their name.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Sasun Steinbeck said:

If I have an avatar that recently changed their name and give them a scripted object that calls llKey2Name(llGetOwner()), it works correctly (it returns their new name). However if the same object sends an HTTP request, llGetHTTPHeader(ID, "x-secondlife-owner-name") returns their OLD name.

Is this just a timing issue, are these two methods of getting a legacy name going to be in sync some time soon? I'm assuming that's the case... I don't know exactly when the avatar in question changed their name.

The announcement of 'Keep LL afloat by buying Second Names for a Huge Price' did say it would take up to 24 hours for the new name to propagate to all places in the SL, and all of LL's services.  And then said seek support after that.

I'd suspect a timing issue.

It can take up to 24 hours for old names to clear out of the name caches on the simulators. 

There is also a bug that is fixed in 2020-04-10T18:39:41.540037 (currently deployed on the RC channels, but not SLS yet) involving names in the HTTP headers (SL-12900).

• Thanks 2

OK thanks for the info. Can you give me some more details on the bug, I am getting a "You can't view this issue" message when I search on that at jira.secondlife.com. Or is there another way to view that bug?

In a nutshell, parts of the server were not expiring old names correctly. Rather than being time based it would keep a name cached until the entire server was either restarted or the server had collected more than 20,000 names and decided it was time to cull some of them (whichever event came first...) 

This has been corrected and names will be marked as stale after some period if time and then culled (or refreshed) a little while later.  The entire process can take as long as 24 hours.

• Like 3

OK thank you, the avatar in question as of the 18th (5-ish days after changing his name) it was still not updated (old name in  HTTP headers). So we just have to wait until the RC is deployed to the production servers, it looks like. Thanks much for the info.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.