What Did Hubble See On Your Birthday

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think that, given these trying times, it's nice to sit back and just take in the grandeur around us. In that spirit NASA created a little app called "What Did Hubble See On Your Birthday?" Enjoy!

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/what-did-hubble-see-on-your-birthday

On Feb 26th Hubble saw a Bubble (Wait..Isn't that a chewing gum.....)

Bubble Nebula

An enormous bubble is being blown into space by a super-hot, massive star. The Bubble Nebula is roughly seven light-years across and is located 7,100 light-years away in the constellation Cassiopeia.

february-26-2019-bubble-nebula.jpg

Edited by Aryna Markova
spelling, Added Picture Description
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

On April 5 in 2008: Galactic Center

"This infrared image of the center of our Milky Way galaxy reveals a population of massive stars and complex structures in the hot ionized gas that swirls around the galactic core."

april-5-2019-galactic-center.jpg

I've been a space nerd since childhood, years before I became a Trekkie. So this just makes me all giddy. 

Edited by Nastasha Szaberwick
  • Like 6

I decided to put my RL niece's birthday in; February 9th. 

This was on that day, in 2014. Absolutely stunning. 
"Monkey Head Nebula: This image reveals carved knots of gas and dust in a small portion of the Monkey Head Nebula. The nebula is a star-forming region that hosts dusky dust clouds silhouetted against glowing gas."

february-9-2019-monkey-head-nebula.jpg

• Like 4

On my birthday in 1997:

"Nebula N 81
This image shows a newborn star cluster cradled within a nebula, or glowing cloud of gas, called N 81. This stellar nursery lies about 200,000 light-years away within the Small Magellanic Cloud, a small galaxy orbiting our own Milky Way."

september-4-2019-nebula-n-81.jpg
  • Like 5

OMG it caught me turning up the sun!

Well' it was a little chilly and i just got tired of everyone complaining, so I turned it up..Sue me! \o/

44102424131_f58309c7d7_b.jpg

hehehehe

Actually it was this..

On April 4 in 1999
Galaxy Pair NGC 3314
This image shows a pair of galaxies called NGC 3314. Through a chance alignment, a face-on spiral galaxy lies precisely in front of another, larger spiral. This provides a view of dark material within the front galaxy, seen because it is silhouetted against the galaxy behind it.

april-4-2019-galaxy-pair-ngc-3314.jpg

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Is adjusting the sun a Super Premium Excalibur Account of Awesomeness perk?

No,it was just one of the many requirements to get one..That and an additional dollar on top of the regular fee..

:D

Edited by Ceka Cianci

On 4/14/2020 at 3:29 PM, Nastasha Szaberwick said:

I decided to put my RL niece's birthday in; February 9th. 

This was on that day, in 2014. Absolutely stunning. 
"Monkey Head Nebula: This image reveals carved knots of gas and dust in a small portion of the Monkey Head Nebula. The nebula is a star-forming region that hosts dusky dust clouds silhouetted against glowing gas."

february-9-2019-monkey-head-nebula.jpg

aww, that is my son's bday 2-9

• Like 2

On June 11 in 1997
Star Cluster Omega Centauri
This view shows about 50,000 stars at the heart of Omega Centauri, a huge globular star cluster 17,000 light-years from Earth. Omega Centauri is the biggest and brightest globular cluster in the Milky Way, and one of the few that can be seen by the unaided eye.

june-11-2019-star-cluster-omega-centauri.jpg

• Like 2

Dear gods, did they point it at my house?!?!? Better hack Nasa and delete that file... 

GOODS South Field

More than 12 billion years of cosmic history are shown in this panoramic view of thousands of galaxies in various stages of assembly. The view covers a portion of the southern field of a galaxy census called the Great Observatories Origins Deep Survey (GOODS)

september-29-2019-goods-south-field.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.