Sorry still confused

ballparkdogg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, ballparkdogg said:

Does it allow you to wear all the mesh clothing?

You could theoretically wear any number of system clothing layers, they have no thickness. Mesh clothing does have thickness, so it's possible that something you wear will protrude further from the mesh body than something intended to go over it. I've been dealing with this as I build a new wardrobe of tops and bottoms, finding that my top might tuck into my slacks in the front, but overlap them in the back. Some of my slacks some in two flavors, one so snug it's likely to fit under a top, one so baggy it's likely to allow a top to tuck into it.

It's never been more necessary to try demos than since the advent of mesh clothing. And make sure you are wearing the things you intend to mix with the thing you are demo-ing.

BoM bakes all the currently worn system skin, system underwear, system clothing, and system tattoos into one set of flat textures, which are then applied to a mesh body and/or head. The system avatar body is then hidden by the baking service, obviating the need for wearing alphas. In fact, wearing alpha layers interferes with the process. It might help to think of that this way: The baking service needs to see the system avatar textures, if it can't, because alpha layers hide it, then it can't bake those textures for the mesh avatar.

The usefulness of BoM is going to depend on the user, and their particular needs. If one has an older system avatar skin that they really like, and its creator is not producing an applier, BoM allows them to apply that skin to their mesh body. Similarly, if one has tattoos that are not being updated with appliers by their creator(s) One can have them on their mesh body through BoM.

I found it to be very helpful when trying mesh head demos. It had been very difficult to judge whether a particular mesh head model would achieve a look similar to what I had settled into over the years. Having a BoM enabled demo head allowed me to tweak the shape with my skin, my face, applied to it, allowing a fast and relatively easy demo process.

BoM does exactly what it's supposed to. That being said, there are some disadvantages. The baked textures will be applied to the skin layer of the mesh body, following all its curves, just as system clothing fits the system avatar and very much unlike mesh clothing. There are some body manufactures providing additional adjunct attachments with their bodies now that mitigate this problem, applying the textures instead to surfaces that bridge gaps, and/or other body features. Additionally, there is a small amount a variation in the UV mapping between the various bodies and heads, relative to the system body UV map.

Another benefit to BoM that I use is applying certain underwear types. Mesh bodies have layers witch accept the textures of underwear, tattoos, and clothing articles. When I have tried wearing both an underwear layer and, for instance, a separate pair of stockings on a clothing layer, the two interfere with each other, blanking one out entirely, or making the other partially disappear. BoM stockings, applied by the baking service, become part of a non-alpha texture, thus obviating the problem.

Anyway, I've been writing this for a bit, and I have plans I must go attend to. I hope all this helps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ballparkdogg said:

I am sort of Joe User.  Am I going to be able to put clothes or skin on BoM without any issues or making all kinds of adjustments?

BOM does the same thing for mesh bodies as it does for the classic avatar body. Allowing us to apply different skins, tattoos and painted on clothing layers to the mesh body in the same way as they are applied to the classic avatar

so a lot of the old school freebie skins/tattoos/layers will work just as well.  There is a caveat in that not all mesh bodies are shaped the same as the classic body, so some of the old school freebie tattoos/layers may not be in the exact same place

most of the of old school freebie boxed outfits don't have fitted mesh clothes, mostly old school prim and sculpt clothing items, so you would have to edit some of these into position on your mesh body, same as we had to in the olden days with the classic Linden body

It is like bodypaint. All folds and shading must be painted on the texture.

i-wore-body-paint-instead-of-clothes-for

I use it for some things:

• Part of the skin like add-on freckles, tattoos, scars, birthmarks. BoM is perfect if you want to layer this.  Mesh body appliers does not allow this. A mesh body has 3 onion layers on top of each other. You can theoretically use 3 tattoos, one for each layer. In reality, the tattoos does not touch the skin but are close to it. The different tattoos will have alpha glitches and flicker on and off. The same problem is if you use a tattoo applier on the first layer, a freckles layer on the second and a birthmark on the third.
  • I have a mesh head, so I use it for makeup and hairbases, plus effects like halloween makeup, blood, scars and all that. As a male, you can use it for this, and also all kinds of beards. As a "Joe user" you do not have to learn how to turn on and off layers on the head to combine beards and tattoos, and it will not be white lines where they meet. It will not be any white line where the hair meet a hairbase either. You can use your old hairbases and beards, no need to buy new ones made for mesh heads. Just click and add them.
  • Lingerie and skintight clothing. Modesty underwear under clothes with plunging neckline. Tummy covering to use with all those cropped sweaters in winter. Tights that go in boots.

BoM let you wear 62 layers. It will be no alpha glitches and layers flickering.

You do not need to find a HUD and wait for the textures to load so you can see it on screen. You just click the layer and add it. And take it off when you will change.

You will see what you are wearing because the layer is listed in appearance. This does not show with onion layers. When you save an outfit, the correct layers will be saved without the need of copying textured bodyparts in the outfit.

• Like 3

it gave me a headache when i first learned a month or two ago.. but i promise, once you got it down and know how to use it..you'll never go back. .. its just..so easy.. 

one of the best.. best things about it..is changing make up.. "add" > "take off" .. no damn omega relays for switching around and lags.. and if you're a person like me who "saves" looks/outfits..then you'll know instantly what skin your wearing on what outfit..because its a layer.. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, xBaeBeex said:

it gave me a headache when i first learned a month or two ago.. but i promise, once you got it down and know how to use it..you'll never go back. .. its just..so easy.. 

one of the best.. best things about it..is changing make up.. "add" > "take off" .. no damn omega relays for switching around and lags.. and if you're a person like me who "saves" looks/outfits..then you'll know instantly what skin your wearing on what outfit..because its a layer.. 

I am using the Beta grid for building. My avatar does not get updated there , so she is still from 2018. I see how cute she is. But I have no idea what appliers she used for that look. I have to dig out all the skin appliers, eyebrow appliers and other appliers to recreate that look in SL itself. 😩

I have not bothered yet. It is so much easier with BoM, yes! It is just to click on "worn" and the list pops up. This skin, these eyebrows, freckles, eyeliner, eyemakeup, lipgloss, tattoos, hairbase and so on.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.