Jump to content
LittleMe Jewell

Last Names - Finally Here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 79 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have no personal horse in this race...because I have a last name, love my last name, am not premium, and even if I were, would not change my last name....but...

Those saying the fee is justifiable...are wrong. There is no actual reason to dissuade people from changing their names as frequently as they so wish. LL made sure of this by making it so that account names themselves no longer need to be a personally identifiable piece of information, but rather UUID (as should have been the case in all things LSL and sl, form the beginning). Most people are saying this dissuasion is related directly to there being a finite number of names. But, the reality is, by default, there isn't actually a finite number of names, LL is choosing to (we assume, we don't actually know this, and can't) make there be a finite number of names at any given point. Those saying it would create more work for LL if people changed their names as frequently as they wish are also way off track. It not only should not, it would not and could not, assuming they have people that know what they're doing with programming at the helm, and we are told to assume precisely that..so we shall.

So let's call the fee what it is, LL's greed. Greed isn't always a bad thing, businesses are designed to make money, that is the bottom line of every business, they need to make money. They will, in fact, make a lot MORE money on this if people do choose to change their names frequently, which I am guessing someone at the helm has suggested, thereby increasing what most would consider a reasonable fee for something like this, to unreasonable.  We may not know exact numbers for a while of people willing to pay these fees for a name change, but let's not pretend those numbers are going to be small. We all know people will throw their money at whatever they want, when they want, whether or not others think it reasonable (and I'm not judging people that do...so, don't go there, lol...your money, do what you want with it). 

I can't really understand this whole defense of the cost. I can think of much better ways in which LL could gain volumes more in revenue if they actually lowered the cost...but that would be reasonable, and this is LL, lmao. 

Good on them for finally making good on something they claimed took years to program (it didn't, some of us aren't idiots....). Good on them for finally listening (only took a decade, but...something's better than nothing, right?). Good on those who will take advantage of this new addition, thereby adding to LL's revenue pool (really, good on you, LL very likely needs it else this would likely still be sitting on the pretend backburner with "soon" attached, or wild exaggerations of how long it takes to write, test and implement code......shut up Tari...)

I really do give them kudos for finally doing this, but as is typical, it wasn't really done to the best of their ability, or even with the most financial gain in mind, let alone the most clout with current and future residents remaining intact( ie..they listened...yay..we like LL again...). They did it, finally, and that's worthy of some amount of praise...albeit with a lot of caveats, lol. 

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Actually "Covfefe" has become a popularly chosen twitter handle among Trump supporters.  Sort of the same way they began referring to themselves as "Deplorables" after Clinton used that term against them.

It is a classic thing to take something that was once a slam or a dig and then self identify with it.

Interesting....I didn't know people were reclaiming covfefe in this way...but then I don't look at Twitter feeds much..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Morganog said:

I'm cynical about the whole Last Names deal, pull back the curtain & I think it's a marketeering manipulation to literally 'name & shame' & make more revenue by creating tribalism & an elite class in Second Life off the back of folks I think requesting it back to add a badge of specialness; of course if you see an avatar with a 'Last Name' you know they're 'premium members' & in a 'tribe', in an elite class & beloooong, & it's worth paying extra bucks to 'belooong' surely? Don't you want to 'belooong'? I'll just use the friends list.

Funny...I have a last name, been in SL almost 13 years and never belonged to a 'Tribe'. I feel left out and demand my name be changed to Resident...oh wait...I can do that....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Actually "Covfefe" has become a popularly chosen twitter handle among Trump supporters.  Sort of the same way they began referring to themselves as "Deplorables" after Clinton used that term against them.

I didn't know that. That makes it an even cleverer choice by the Lab than I realised.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

This seems a little odd to me as well.  You can still get a 1 month premium membership so wht not just make it 50 bucks and call it good?

Anyway ... I can see in the future where there can be promos, like a 1 year membership with a name change at a reduced price.  I expected to see something like that for new accounts on day one.  Maybe they will do it later. 

 

If it was a one-time fee of $50, you wouldn't be a Premium and see what that's about. It's called onboarding, a way for a user to get in and experience all the features.

Also, @Oz Linden or @Linden Lab, please let anybody preview the list of available names before becoming Premium. This first round is fine since you've made a picture, but unless you're going to do that every time, I don't want to subscribe to Premium only to find out the list has changed.

I'm currently just waiting for a last name I really like (lots of good candidates in the current list), but if I don't know all the options, it sucks for me and I'd definitely just forget about it.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I didn't know that. That makes it an even cleverer choice by the Lab than I realised.

If you look at history "Yankee Doodle" was a slur directed by the British at their American subjects before the Revolution and the colonists took it as a badge of honor so it makes sense that the same would happen nowadays

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Aryna Markova said:

If you look at history "Yankee Doodle" was a slur directed by the British at their American subjects before the Revolution and the colonists took it as a badge of honor so it makes sense that the same would happen nowadays

Yeah, there are many examples of people "reclaiming" slurs. I'm not 100% convinced by the theory behind it, but it's very common. I didn't know Trump supporters were doing it with "covfefe". I don't think it really works, since it's not an insult someone threw at them to be taken as a mark of honour, it's just a stupid typo made and broadcast by the man himself. Still, if Trump voters are using it, then that means it's appealing to both them and their opponents, and that makes it a very clever move from the Lab.

For whatever it's worth, although I don't say it, I've never heard a Brit use the word "Yank" in a genuinely derogatory fashion. I think it's a bit dated now anyway.

Edited by Amina Sopwith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Yeah, there are many examples of people "reclaiming" slurs. I'm not 100% convinced by the theory behind it, but it's very common. I didn't know Trump supporters were doing it with "covfefe". I don't think it really works, since it's not an insult someone threw at them to be taken as a mark of honour, it's just a stupid typo made and broadcast by the man himself. Still, if Trump voters are using it, then that means it's appealing to both them and their opponents, and that makes it a very clever move from the Lab.

For whatever it's worth, although I don't say it, I've never heard a Brit use the word "Yank" in a genuinely derogatory fashion. I think it's a bit dated now anyway.

Oh I know, just throwing out an example, I love our British Friends =)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

So, here is what the page shows for available names - current batch:

image.png.0851174e151bfbc221b63083103a8d22.png

 

pffft. Pick 'em out of a hat did they ? I'll keep my 40 bucks 'til they come up with much better.

Edited by rasterscan
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

pffft. Pick 'em out of a hat did they ? I'll keep my 40 bucks 'til they come up with much better.

Actually, yes.  That's pretty much exactly what they did.  Did you miss the contest?  What I would like to know is how many of there WERE NOT taken from the contest entries.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Actually, yes.  That's pretty much exactly what they did.  Did you miss the contest?  What I would like to know is how many of there WERE NOT taken from the contest entries.

No, I entered. If they had chosen my suggestion 'Quatermass' they'd be 40 bucks better off already.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I've never heard a Brit use the word "Yank" in a genuinely derogatory fashion. 

Depends. Doesn't a yank equate to a jerk? 😜

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really think there should be an option for viewing a user's name change history. Without it, I suspect there will be a lot of unnecessary confusion. Merchants may have a harder time providing customer support, for example.

And why wouldn't you have that option? It's not like name changes are deep and dark secrets, is it now?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cain Maven said:

I really think there should be an option for viewing a user's name change history. Without it, I suspect there will be a lot of unnecessary confusion. Merchants may have a harder time providing customer support, for example.

And why wouldn't you have that option? It's not like name changes are deep and dark secrets, is it now?

We believe we've provided all the capability that a merchant, script, or external system needs to be able to determine whether or not a given account is the same as one that previously used another name (for Marketplace there is literally nothing they need to do). Doing that does not require that we give everyone the ability to read your name change history, which is otherwise no one elses business.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

Depends. Doesn't a yank equate to a jerk? 😜

I don't think I've ever heard that. I mean, I expect I would get it from the context if someone did, but I don't think it's an established term. Happy to be corrected by other Brits, maybe it's regional. 

There's a good bit in the film Life is Sweet, the only scene in which Natalie smiles. She's talking to her sister Nicola about her plans to travel to America:

 

Nicola : You'll find out when you get to America. 

Natalie : I'm only going on a holiday. 

Nicola : So? 

Natalie : What? You think I'm going to get yanked off the plane at John F. Kennedy airport and be raped and pillaged do ya? 

Nicola : You've got to be on your guard. 

Natalie : Did you hear what I just said? 

Nicola : What? 

Natalie : Yanked. Get it? 

Nicola : What? 

Natalie : Yanked! America!



I laughed.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Oz Linden said:

We believe we've provided all the capability that a merchant, script, or external system needs to be able to determine whether or not a given account is the same as one that previously used another name (for Marketplace there is literally nothing they need to do). Doing that does not require that we give everyone the ability to read your name change history, which is otherwise no one elses business.

Sure, I have already written a script to check previous names vs. current ones. But I still think this might be fertile ground for confusion in many cases.

Why do you feel that name change history is sensitive and should be protected?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cain Maven said:

Why do you feel that name change history is sensitive and should be protected?

Because it's absolutely none of your business?

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to watch out for these scripters...they're always after your data...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

Because it's absolutely none of your business?

I'm as strong an advocate for privacy as anyone -- I just don't see how this is sensitive information. If someone uses a display name you can still see their user name, and that doesn't seem to be an issue?

But ok. How about a feature that allows users to decide if their name change history is public?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cain Maven said:

I just don't see how this is sensitive information.

You don't need to. You can share whatever you want about yourself with anyone you want.

You cannot, however, have access to my information unless I give it to you. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Cain Maven said:

I really think there should be an option for viewing a user's name change history. Without it, I suspect there will be a lot of unnecessary confusion

There should be something in profile maybe I've already seen the fee isn't putting people off from changing their names and one of my friends has taken the plunge on an entirely new name had they not told me who they used to be I'd be wondering who they used to be

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

You cannot, however, have access to my information unless I give it to you. 

A feature that makes disclosure of the name change history optional would appear to meet that standard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cain Maven said:

How about a feature that allows users to decide if their name change history is public?

Cool.  It could be something we click on and see what all they share.  Maybe their original names.  Maybe their favorite hangouts.  We could even see their res date and know how long they have been around.  What would really cool is if this also had a place for RL info like where they live or what they do for a living.  And then to top it off, maybe a place where I could put my own notes about the user.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Cool.  It could be something we click on and see what all they share.

Yeah, maybe it could go on their profile 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 79 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...