32 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Resident doesn't even make sense since you can get that one for free anyways..

That is for anyone that wants to go from having a first and last name to only having a first name with a last name of Resident --- i.e. if I was dumb enough to want to change from LittleMe Jewell to SomeNewName Resident.

Yeah, there will be people that will do that.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm so creating a new alt, for the sole purpose of living in fetish wear and exploring every single kink I can think of, while wearing the surname Vanilla.

Yeesh, people must be really bored to be getting this bent out of shape about name changes that are voluntary. 10,000 threads about name changes and nearly everyone is clutching their collective pearl

We believe we've provided all the capability that a merchant, script, or external system needs to be able to determine whether or not a given account is the same as one that previously used another na

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:
7 minutes ago, Adam Spark said:

That is a fair point, but many Belli residents already are premium

Make that, "all".

Actually, not necessarily.  Only the home owner has to be Premium. Not everyone that lives there with them.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Oh, ok. I've never cared about owning a home or land, so we might have found the one thing that could entice me to go premium...

I think Sopwith is an awesome last name.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, pippi Jinx said:

Yay! one of my names were chosen. I've had this cursed lower case letter name since I was a teen irl! argh! I no longer relate!

You used to be able to get a case change (eg pippi to Pippi) by just messaging a friendly Linden, I got Torley to do one for me back in the day.

Maybe a support ticket?

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

You used to be able to get a case change (eg pippi to Pippi) by just messaging a friendly Linden, I got Torley to do one for me back in the day.

Maybe a support ticket?

Aww, Really?! I feel like I tried a ticket a couple of years ago through a support ticket. I wonder how long ticket history is saved. Oh well.

35 minutes ago, missyrideout said:

The idea there being that the new couple would select a currently available name and both change. And some will. My partner has a grand old name but I know she would change it in a heartbeat if a name we liked became available. 

It will be expensive for they who change partner every second week.

😉

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

It will be expensive for they who change partner every second week.

😉

It's expensive for those of us who want to change once ... pandemic end of the world $10 a roll of TP and all that.

There's a lot of these names that I might pick if I was signing up now and they were free. Melodious is rather nice. Littlepaws too.

None of them are worth $50 to me though. I'd only pay that much for maybe a handful of options.

Edited by Cinos Field
1 hour ago, janetosilio said:

I think Sopwith is an awesome last name.

If my last name was Sopwith, my first name would be Camel.

c6Pg34.jpg

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
4 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

I'm delighted to see "Bellisserian" on the list, that was a genius decision, and I hope it stays as an option for a long time. I'm disappointed at how short the list is though, and I hope they rotate through at least some of them relatively quickly. None of this batch seem worth me spending 40 bucks on, though I might have grabbed "Mercury" if it was cheaper. 

It's my first name I want to change more than my last, but I know what will happen if I change just my first name; the next batch will have a perfect last name and I'll end up spending $80 instead of $40.

Luminous seems like such a perfect name for you...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

So, was it a joke, then? Will you actually let people pay to replace Resident with Resident????

It's so people who have a last name can get "rid" of it.

Edited by missyrideout
4 hours ago, Evarne said:

A massive warning to anyone that plays a HUD game in SL.

I just paid £42.97 to change my name to Eva Nova and was so pleased, until I logged back in to SL and put my games HUDS on to find all progress lost. I had a guild in Tiny Empires 3000 and also played the classic game, for many years. So I went to change it back, within minutes, and Linden Labs want another £42.97. I have been furloughed RL from my job because of Coronavirus and can't afford to pay twice in ten minutes to just try to get my games back.

Please everyone be careful before you rush in like I did because I have destroyed years of progress on my games.

raise the issue with the game maker

all your game data can be restored to your new name, but it will require game makers to put out an update fix for their games

the LSL function to assist game makers and shopkeepers to update their data records is

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRequestUserKey

• Like 2
3 hours ago, seanabrady said:

I am one of the few Resident residents who feels the display name method is far superior to the last name option. Now if Linden Lab lets me pay for the ability to have a totally unique official last name I might change my mind. Otherwise, i am happy to keep on trucking with my display name and leaving usernames to the systems end where they belong.

Display names would be fine if they were uniformly implemented, but they aren't. For example, they don't work in the Forum, I think, your account name is used. That happens enough places to make them fairly useless for me, at least. If it works for you, you are a lucky person. 🙂

Well I did it, I took the plunge. You can read my blog for the step-by-step details on how to do it, if you want to check it out before you take the plunge yourself.

However, the current exchange rates between the Canadian and American dollars are just killing me. CA$62.33 is a lot more than I expected to have to spend to change my name! I’m quite sure other people using non-American currencies are feeling the pinch, too (this is mostly due to the pandemic's impact on financial markets, and the U.S. dollar being widely seen as a "safe haven" currency.)

I wonder how much business this is actually going to bring in for Linden Lab, since it is now so expensive for many non-Americans.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Vanity Fair said:

Well I did it, I took the plunge. You can read my blog for the step-by-step details on how to do it, if you want to check it out before you take the plunge yourself.

However, the current exchange rates between the Canadian and American dollars are just killing me. CA$62.33 is a lot more than I expected to have to spend to change my name! I’m quite sure other people using non-American currencies are feeling the pinch, too (this is mostly due to the pandemic's impact on financial markets, and the U.S. dollar being widely seen as a "safe haven" currency.)

I wonder how much business this is actually going to bring in for Linden Lab, since it is now so expensive for many non-Americans.

Wellllll, since one person changing one name just sent them the equivalent amount of cash that they'd make off roughly L$100,000 worth of Marketplace transaction fees...

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Wellllll, since one person changing one name just sent them the equivalent amount of cash that they'd make off roughly L$100,000 worth of Marketplace transaction fees...

Every little bit helps. ;)

If there are enough people who go wild and keep changing their name as often as they can, there may actually be some money in it for LL.

Finally, I don't have to explain to everyone that my account isn't an alt anymore, despite my username saying it is. $40 is awfully steep, but eh, I can live with it, plus now I have a name I really like. Surprised it was still available when I took it!

• Like 5