Last Names - Finally Here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, KT Kingsley said:

"Resident" as a bona fide last name is fundamentally different to the "Resident" used as a anti-breaking-stuff filler tagged on to a user name.

I do wonder if it's going to break any scripts, assuming it is a real option. And as a real option, I reckon it's no worse a joke than many of the clever first name/last name combinations you get to see.

1 hour ago, Oz Linden said:

No it isn't; it's exactly the same.

That should probably be made clear somewhere, along with the fact that "Resident" normally won't be displayed. Most people already know that now, but it would be good going forward.

Just now, Amina Sopwith said:

Idiot Covfefe? Nottan Alpha? Ima Banana? Brain Cloud? Logic Dismantled? Pointless Resident?

In a world where Doreen and Beverley are considered to be sexy names, the main protagonist sounds like a knitting stitch and the slave girls moniker was a band that had a hit in 1983 with Too Shy, it's hard to get it wrong. 

I went for Eva Nova. I thought that might sound like a rather sexy James Bond vixen spy,  possibly from Russia.   All it confirmed is that I like shiny new things without thoughts of the consequence 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Evarne said:
15 minutes ago, Ansariel Hiller said:
16 minutes ago, Ansariel Hiller said:
1 hour ago, Evarne said:

A massive warning to anyone that plays a HUD game in SL.

I just paid £42.97 to change my name to Eva Nova and was so pleased, until I logged back in to SL and put my games HUDS on to find all progress lost. I had a guild in Tiny Empires 3000 and also played the classic game, for many years. So I went to change it back, within minutes, and Linden Labs want another £42.97. I have been furloughed RL from my job because of Coronavirus and can't afford to pay twice in ten minutes to just try to get my games back.

Contact the creator of that game and ask them to change your username in their database to your new one since they are apparently incompetent and use a username as key in their database instead of your account's UUID...

That is actually a fantastically brilliant point. I was wanting to not cause extra work when in effect it was something I had not considered in my eagerness, but how hard can that be? Thank you Ansariel. I have sent an IM to the game creator who is currently offline.

Everyone has known that this was coming and everyone that has created any sort of scripted object that relies on the username was told that they needed to change their products to use the UUID of the user because that does not change.  SO it sounds like the game creator didn't bother to update their stuff properly -- or possibly is living in a cave and didn't know the name changes were coming and what the impact would be on existing scripts using username.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Everyone has known that this was coming and everyone that has created any sort of scripted object that relies on the username was told that they needed to change their products to use the UUID of the user because that does not change.  SO it sounds like the game creator didn't bother to update their stuff properly -- or possibly is living in a cave and didn't know the name changes were coming and what the impact would be on existing scripts using username.

Bless you Littleme I live in hope   😊 x

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, BWolf Clawtooth said:

I did t read it but maybe someone knows the answer...If someone new signs up with a premimum account do they get to pick a last name , or is that an extra charge.

If you sign up with a brand new account and you choose to go Premium at that point, it will still cost the $39.99 to pick a last name -- otherwise, you will get Resident.  

LL stated that in one of the many threads way back when.

• Like 1

Bellisserian? Really? I hope this doesn't become as common as I expect it will in that community. The reason last names created a "kinship" back in the day was largely because you didn't see the same last name as yours every other week. Last names should represent a family lineage, not a full community one.

"Similar to the commodity of dot-com domains, some “last names” held a special status in the community." (Blog quote)

Not if nearly everyone in the community uses it.

Opening it up to the entire userbase and not charging premium (or discounting premium) makes more economic sense to me. Basic users become customers, and "free/discounted to premium members" entice basic users to join premium with the addition of an added perk. I get that people can sign up for a month, try it out, and all the rest. But even a month of premium adds to the cost. You are effectively making a $40 item a $50 item. Most users are going to look at "premium only" and say "Do I want to pay 10 bucks a month and 40 bucks up front for a name change?" Some will do so. But most won't realize the loophole of dropping it after a month, and still have to decide if it is worth 50, not 40, bucks if they do realize it.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but I have my doubts about this call. Many basic users spend money on SL. Allow them to buy this and reap the rewards.

Edited by Adam Spark
Typos

13 minutes ago, Evarne said:

I went for Eva Nova. I thought that might sound like a rather sexy James Bond vixen spy,  possibly from Russia.   All it confirmed is that I like shiny new things without thoughts of the consequence 😄

Perhaps Super Nova. I think they can sometimes form supermassive black holes, and that's a fine metaphor for Gor if ever there was one. Plus John Nobhead is a supermassive hole himself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Y'all realize that one of the ways the Lindens are going to clean up is with the people who partner and de-partner like they're changing the oil in their car (or more often), right? If they're willing to blow easily US$40 on the attire, venue rental, and so on, what's another $40 apiece to get the name they agree on from the list to be a couple in every possible way? And so what if they divorce a month later, or one of them ghosts the other? It's just another line item in the budget for wedded bliss with their next Mr/Ms Right Now. This is clever as hell on the part of the Labs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Perhaps Super Nova. I think they can sometimes form supermassive black holes, and that's a fine metaphor for Gor if ever there was one. Plus John Nobhead is a supermassive hole himself. 

John Nobhead, lol. I think that is a brilliant name, I wouldn't want it but if anyone wanted to be noticed that is the way to go lol

Pish and tosh to all the naysayers!  I LOVE the new last names!  I'm not going to change "Lindal Kidd"...she and I have far too much history.  But some of these are really tempting!

names.jpg.c8072518d510ddc5514c4f3d627c628e.jpg

Good job, LL!  (Kids, if you choose a name from these, be SURE to READ THE DIRECTIONS (e.g., UNcheck that first box to keep your current first name!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Resident doesn't even make sense since you can get that one for free anyways..

If you were one of the poor people that had to pick a last name at start up and really want to have a single name, it's there for you now.  Good freakin' luck finding a single name that is not taken though.

Yeah, that sounds stupid to me too but it's the only reason I can think of. :D

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lysana McMillan said:

Y'all realize that one of the ways the Lindens are going to clean up is with the people who partner and de-partner like they're changing the oil in their car (or more often), right? If they're willing to blow easily US$40 on the attire, venue rental, and so on, what's another $40 apiece to get the name they agree on from the list to be a couple in every possible way? And so what if they divorce a month later, or one of them ghosts the other? It's just another line item in the budget for wedded bliss with their next Mr/Ms Right Now. This is clever as hell on the part of the Labs.

That won't happen much. The odds that both your ex's last name and your new "love's" last name are in the list at the time (the list will be refreshed regularly) will be fairly remote.

52 minutes ago, Adam Spark said:

Bellisserian? Really? I hope this doesn't become as common as I expect it will in that community. The reason last names created a "kinship" back in the day was largely because you didn't see the same last name as yours every other week. Last names should represent a family lineage, not a full community one.

"Similar to the commodity of dot-com domains, some “last names” held a special status in the community." (Blog quote)

Not if nearly everyone in the community uses it.

Not when the name cost money. "GossipGirl" is the most used last name in SL and I doubt 163164 residents will pay Premium + 40 dollars to have the last name Belliserian. http://slnamewatch.com/?action=list_records&status_filter=heritage&sort_order=DESC&order_by=usage_count

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Not when the name cost money. "GossipGirl" is the most used last name in SL and I doubt 163164 residents will pay Premium + 40 dollars to have the last name Belliserian. http://slnamewatch.com/?action=list_records&status_filter=heritage&sort_order=DESC&order_by=usage_count

That is a fair point, but many Belli residents already are premium, so that hurdle wouldn't be an issue to getting Bellisserian wide-scale use. It would just be a question of the $40 fee. And we all know how easily SL residents toss money they really can't afford to at SL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adam Spark said:

That is a fair point, but many Belli residents already are premium, so that hurdle wouldn't be an issue to getting Bellisserian wide-scale use. It would just be a question of the $40 fee. And we all know how easily SL residents toss money they really can't afford to at SL.

Maybe 10000 Bellisserians? Imagine the family gossip and drama. 😩

Edit: Is it 10000 homes in Bellisseria now? Or 15000, 20000?

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Adam Spark said:

The odds that both your ex's last name and your new "love's" last name are in the list at the time (the list will be refreshed regularly) will be fairly remote.

The idea there being that the new couple would select a currently available name and both change. And some will. My partner has a grand old name but I know she would change it in a heartbeat if a name we liked became available. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.