Last Names - Finally Here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

This seems a little odd to me as well.  You can still get a 1 month premium membership so wht not just make it 50 bucks and call it good?

Because there's a higher chance that once someone goes premium they will choose to stay premium than there is that someone will decide to go premium without some prior hook and additional fee beyond that $50.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Dear Linden Lab, how much do I have to pay to have my birth date changed to January 1, 2002?

Isn't there something about a GDPR request to delete all your information that resets your birth date to something like 0 or 1970 or something like that?

20 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

They could have just brought them back at the registration portal any time over the last ten years.

Bringing them back may have been easy, but it's letting us change them that's difficult. Though, apparently, less difficult that dealing with the howls of pain from those of us who'd've been stuck with non-last-name names if that had happened.

3 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

I seem to remember the names list in early 2006 being much larger than this. This one is a bit of a disappointment but then again, my expectations have become so low by now, they're practically flatlining.

there were also just a certain amount available, but the lists changed every now and than, also the other portals where you signed up had different lists roulating.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

They could have just brought them back at the registration portal any time over the last ten years.

That would have been a very bad move. All the people who'd already registered with a single name would've been upset to find out they'd have to create a new account to get a last name. LL had to be able to let those people change their existing user name. Putting last names back was the easy part. Burrowing through SL's software to make it possible to change an existing name was what took so long.

On a completely different note: I wonder if Completely Dismantled is still available.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I am hoping that 'Resident' is a really bad joke, and noone can actually select and spend money on that.

"Resident" as a bona fide last name is fundamentally different to the "Resident" used as a anti-breaking-stuff filler tagged on to a user name.

I do wonder if it's going to break any scripts, assuming it is a real option. And as a real option, I reckon it's no worse a joke than many of the clever first name/last name combinations you get to see.

2 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

That would have been a very bad move. All the people who'd already registered with a single name would've been upset to find out they'd have to create a new account to get a last name. LL had to be able to let those people change their existing user name. Putting last names back was the easy part. Burrowing through SL's software to make it possible to change an existing name was what took so long.

On a completely different note: I wonder if Completely Dismantled is still available.

7 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

Bringing them back may have been easy, but it's letting us change them that's difficult. Though, apparently, less difficult that dealing with the howls of pain from those of us who'd've been stuck with non-last-name names if that had happened.

Dealing with the people stuck with Resident would have been a lot easier if they'd just done it when they came up with the name change scheme. Or when they realized "Resident" was a stupid idea and rolled out display names.

A massive warning to anyone that plays a HUD game in SL.

I just paid £42.97 to change my name to Eva Nova and was so pleased, until I logged back in to SL and put my games HUDS on to find all progress lost. I had a guild in Tiny Empires 3000 and also played the classic game, for many years. So I went to change it back, within minutes, and Linden Labs want another £42.97. I have been furloughed RL from my job because of Coronavirus and can't afford to pay twice in ten minutes to just try to get my games back.

Please everyone be careful before you rush in like I did because I have destroyed years of progress on my games.

• Sad 11

2 minutes ago, Evarne said:

A massive warning to anyone that plays a HUD game in SL.

I just paid £42.97 to change my name to Eva Nova and was so pleased, until I logged back in to SL and put my games HUDS on to find all progress lost. I had a guild in Tiny Empires 3000 and also played the classic game, for many years. So I went to change it back, within minutes, and Linden Labs want another £42.97. I have been furloughed RL from my job because of Coronavirus and can't afford to pay twice in ten minutes to just try to get my games back.

Please everyone be careful before you rush in like I did because I have destroyed years of progress on my games.

ehm.. i see a button to go back to previous name ... does that charge again?

4 minutes ago, Evarne said:

In the name change FAQ it says to allow 24 hours for everything to be changed over completely ... maybe try again tomorrow?

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm so creating a new alt, for the sole purpose of living in fetish wear and exploring every single kink I can think of, while wearing the surname Vanilla.

I may have understood wrong but I don't think you have a choice of using these names when you make a new account. I think you're stuck with resident when you join and then go premium and then pay which is a bit much!

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.