Last Names - Finally Here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, PixieGirrrrl said:

keep my name as it is, save myself £40, and blow it all on hair, shoes and cute outfits instead!

I'd vote for this one, personally: PixieGirrrrl is cute! And £40 will buy you a LOT of hair, shoes, and cute outfits.

But then, I don't myself attach much importance to having a last name. If you DO go for a name instead, I personally like Pixie Peppermint.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Too many "personallys".
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Pixie Peppermint but I also agree with Scylla about not giving importance to a last name.  I just happen to have one on this account so my opinion might be affected by that.

Also I dont think people should advertise their potential names in advance in case someone else nabs it first 

Edited by Cindy Evanier
typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I dont think people should advertise their potential names in advance in case someone else nabs it first 

Yeah..full disclosure... I'm secretly trying to sabotage myself, hoping someone else will buy them all and make my decision for me! I think there might be a better use for my £40 ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Having a last name is so last century. If I could give up my last name without having to create an alt I would.  A first name for the username is more than enough really since you can have your display name be anything you want, even the exact same as someone else. so all this fuss about having last names is pretty silly really. It doesnt really make someone more unique or special or important except in their own mind...

1 minute ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

If I could give up my last name without having to create an alt I would. 

You can:  Upgrade to Premium, if you are not.  Buy a name change - uncheck the box for changing your first name so that it remains the same and then select 'Resident' as your new last name.  

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

You can:  Upgrade to Premium, if you are not.  Buy a name change - uncheck the box for changing your first name so that it remains the same and then select 'Resident' as your new last name.  

Not quite the same thing, that is still giving me a last name. I would prefer to have no last name at all. I see them as pointless here in sl. Its not like they are a real family name. plus I have better things to do with the money it would cost to do that. Until the price is made more realistic and not sounding like some sort of cash grab, I think I will abstain from doing so.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 3:04 AM, Serendipity Nova said:

Salty was my suggestion

So it was you! LOL I am kinda kicking myself for not suggesting it. It's the name of my store, so when I saw it on the list I had to change my name, even though I liked my last name of 14+ years. Thank you for suggesting it! :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Having a last name is so last century

having individual names is soooo yesterday

everybody should have the same name! like Bob

then we can all go: Bob! ...Bob! ...Bob! Bob!  ... Bob! Bob! Bob! ...Bob!

😸

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

14 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Having a last name is so last century. If I could give up my last name without having to create an alt I would.  

You can; that's why "Resident" is one of the options on the list. If you choose that, it will strip the last name and your username will be just your first name (assuming no-one else already has it).

This is the option that's most appealing to me at this stage; and the first name I want appears to be not taken yet... Still not sure if it's appealing enough to be worth spending about £35 on it though...

So they didn't solve anything and the problem remains...unless you pay 15$+40$ to fix their artificial problem. Gross.

Good luck finding a name that's not taken. But you can add xxx and numbers to it! Right?!

daf46cb44c9189b1e7196d9693ebdb48.png

On 4/13/2020 at 10:02 PM, CaerolleClaudel said:

No, just no. Nothing related to that abomination of a man.

Thanks for the daily "oRaNgE mAn BaD". How could I live without political partisans everywhere?

Edited by H8
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

You can; that's why "Resident" is one of the options on the list. If you choose that, it will strip the last name and your username will be just your first name (assuming no-one else already has it).

This is the option that's most appealing to me at this stage; and the first name I want appears to be not taken yet... Still not sure if it's appealing enough to be worth spending about £35 on it though...

Okay I may be crazy but I went and done it. I never liked that last name anyway. Given that there's only one last name I could possibly want, and they wouldn't be able to ever include it anyway as it's trademarked to the Tolkien Estate.

Annoyingly though, while I typed "Maitimo" into the box, and it is showing "Maitimo" correctly here, the tag floating over my head is now "maitimo".  I have a support ticket waiting to see if they can correct that.

Also annoyingly, Firestorm has lost all my settings and I didn't think to back them up before changing. BACK UP YOUR VIEWER SETTINGS FIRST, PEEPS!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Joe Huntsman said:

Yeah, I had to go with the most obscure name I could think of ... Joe.

What? I think you didn't really understand what I mean. :) So let me phrase it better and in more detail to avoid more confusion.

Good luck finding a name that's not taken when you make A NEW account. People are still forced to choose names like xXxYoloSwagxXx420 because EVERYTHING* is taken

I made one recently, took like 2-3 days and tried about 1000 names until find something available and usable. So yes, this is absolutely disgusting on LL's part not to enable second names in the account creation form. It's obvious what are they trying to do. Shame on them for creating artificial problems and charge for their solution.

* Pretty and usable names that don't consist of two words

3 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Not the same, I dont even want resident on my name. Just my first name. family names.. last names are pointless really. its not like you are a member of that family really.

which is why my display name is just one name. no last name at all.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Then create a username that is made of two pretty and usable words that are spliced together, like a lot of the new users on the forum are already.

I just mentioned this is not a viable option...for me personally. I don't find it aesthetically pleasing. Look at your ID card? Do yo see names "spliced" together" No, you don't. 

We had a good system, it was removed for unknown reason, now they introduce a name change but leave the single name back. Yeah, definitely not a cash grab. Gotta pay for Sansar's failture(again...)

Linden Lab need to fix their mistake they made 10 years ago.

Edited by H8
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/13/2020 at 12:32 PM, Parhelion Palou said:

That would have been a very bad move. All the people who'd already registered with a single name would've been upset to find out they'd have to create a new account to get a last name. LL had to be able to let those people change their existing user name. Putting last names back was the easy part. Burrowing through SL's software to make it possible to change an existing name was what took so long.

On a completely different note: I wonder if Completely Dismantled is still available.

They could still do both since they are allowing first and/or last changes and not just last name changes. Register with first and last... realize later on it was a mistake to pick that first name (Wussy* Galore of James Bond fame!) or they are in a long term relationship and want to share last names. Yeah, you know where I'm going with this.

Just think, if (lol) they had never removed last names and just added the ability to change names, just think of all the time and money they would have saved and all the profits they didn't make.

:P

*another name for cat or kitty or pussycat. Yeah, yeah most of us know regardless of silly censoring.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Not the same, I dont even want resident on my name. Just my first name. family names.. last names are pointless really. its not like you are a member of that family really.

which is why my display name is just one name. no last name at all.

You won't have Resident showing on your name. Evidence below:

200418_005.jpg.8f28a5254ecd6432f627e55571011f3f.jpg

5 hours ago, H8 said:

Good luck finding a name that's not taken. But you can add xxx and numbers to it! Right?!

2 hours ago, H8 said:

Good luck finding a name that's not taken when you make A NEW account. People are still forced to choose names like xXxYoloSwagxXx420 because EVERYTHING* is taken

Yesterday, someone commented saying they would give up their last name if they could.  Out of curiosity, I checked and their first name is currently NOT being used -- with the Resident surname.  That name did not contain any xxx's or numbers.

My most recently created alt was last April.  I created 3 at that time and didn't have too much trouble with the names and none of them have any xxx's or numbers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Also annoyingly, Firestorm has lost all my settings and I didn't think to back them up before changing. BACK UP YOUR VIEWER SETTINGS FIRST, PEEPS!

Even after the fact, you can log out and copy over your settings files and/or any chat logs from the other account.

16 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

You won't have Resident showing on your name. Evidence below:

200418_005.jpg.8f28a5254ecd6432f627e55571011f3f.jpg

This depends on the viewer and settings.   With Firestorm you can see Resident with the right options checked/unchecked.  If I check both of the hilited boxes, then the Resident will get trimmed off, but otherwise it will show.  This option might also be dependent on the mode that you run Firestorm in.  I run in Phoenix mode, which is a bit more of a legacy display of things.

image.thumb.png.c4b30f8e150892d91c3ecfb82a080d66.png

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.