Floating in the mid-air while using hover height!

Nicole Trappen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi there ..Anytime I go to sit down or lay down I'm mid-air from where I should be ground level. I've had this issue since last three years or so. Personally for me I can't keep bringing my avatar up and down each time she goes in the air. Can anyone please help me fix this problem? 👈😀🙏

Thank you in advance for anyone that can help me with my problem :D

Edited by Nicole Trappen

16 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Nicole Trappen said:

I have firestorm-release and don't see "quick preferences" only preferences which doesn't help much because Lidal or nor you Skell explained where I can find it. 😒

I've been working inworld support for a major creator for over two years. Sarcastic complainers like you (seriously, was that emoji absolutely necessary?) are the ones who cause me the most hassle, and usually take up the greatest amount of my time, at the expense of people who actually appreciate that someone is taking time out of their day to help them. Those appreciative people are also willing to work with me instead of complaining about me.

I will normally spend hours of my limited login time, patiently explaining things to people, but when they get pissy at me like you have here, they end up with this kind of irritated response from me instead, because I'm here to help, not to be b!tched-at.

However, since I apparently have the patience of both a saint and a masochist, I will point you to the bit in my original post that you COMPLETELY IGNORED:

383598669_quickprefs.png.9f156b28efeb70c470ca1befed9e8a09.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/13/2020 at 7:19 AM, Nicole Trappen said:

Your problem has nothing to do with your hover height or your avatar or your viewer. Your problem is located on the other side of the monitor. A course on manners, common courtesy and perhaps a few visits to a therapist might help you with your problem, and alas the SL Forum is not the place for that.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Nicole Trappen said:

I'm not having any problems with shoes I wear on a daily basis Lindal. The problem I have is anytime I sit on a poseball, I have to adjust the hover height for myself to be down on the ground. Then when I stand up or get off the poseball I have to adjust the hover height again by bringing myself back up again. THAT'S THE PROBLEM I'M CURRENTLY BEEN HAVING FOR THE LAST THREE YEARS!! 🥺😀

If those shoes are heels then the hover height is working exactly as it should do. You're having 'no problems' with the heels, so hover height is A-OK when wearing them.

2 hours ago, Nicole Trappen said:

And put my height at 50 ..I was still in air

Did you put the hover height in your shape edit window to 50, as shown by Lindal? Because that's where that should be. Now, how about this hover height - the other one that she mentioned - below?

heels.png.efd7d1efdc1eb7f946d89b3f30d751d9.png

See that it's currently set to 0.175? That is the on-the-fly hover height adjuster that is used when you wear heels that have no shoebase (or for when the shoebase isn't quite right). It adjusts your avatar's height off the ground, or off anything else. If you're sitting down on a poseball (or any animated furniture) while wearing heels that have that specific hover height adjustment panel set to accommodate your height change (so that your feet don't sink into the floor when wearing those heels and standing - and yes, this will also happen even if you take those heels off but don't change this number), then you will hover 0.175m off that poseball or animated furniture. That window is there for you to make quick adjustments to accommodate that, without having to go into Edit Shape.

This is what you'll need to change that to when sitting down. It takes all of a couple of seconds to click the toolbar button and type in the number, and you will be sitting correctly on the furniture:

1159294395_noheels.png.c49354abee74a5f4534130a5396941f5.png

3 hours ago, Nicole Trappen said:

By the way even though it says Newbie below my name. I've been in second life for 12 years

The 'newbie' thing is because you're a newbie to the forum - having made only one previous post here. (The date of that post - July 2018 - does not make you an 'oldbie' on the forum; the 'newbie' simply refers to the fact that you don't post here much at all. It's numbers, not time.) It is not suggesting that you are a newbie to Second Life.

2 hours ago, Nicole Trappen said:

..Anyone else got anymore bright ideas or going to continue giving ones that are a pile of poo (💩) which sticks as much as these two ideas that these two gals gave me 😀

See above. I probably shouldn't have bothered after such breathtaking rudeness from you towards two people who took time out of their day to help you, but you clearly didn't seem to understand how to thank those people for the suggestions given, so I thought that perhaps some pictures and simpler language might help.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicole Trappen said:

Anyone else got anymore bright ideas or going to continue giving ones that are a pile of poo (💩) which sticks as much as these two ideas that these two gals gave me 😀

not me no

i am all out of thinking about fixes for a 12 year old resident who has had a issue for 3 years and has tolerated it up until now

• Like 1

EDIT: Clearly the forum glitched out massively while I was writing this post (it timed out when showing the preview), showing only the images and not the text or quotes, so I'm going to edit this and re-post.

Edited by Skell Dagger
Forum glitch - see post below.

5 hours ago, Nicole Trappen said:

I detached my AO and guess what? ..I'm still in the air and not even close to my couch. And put my height at 50 ..I was still in air ..Anyone else got anymore bright ideas or going to continue giving ones that are a pile of poo (💩) which sticks as much as these two ideas that these two gals gave me 😀

Yeah, those kind of responses will definitely encourage people to continue to help you.

Thus I won't bother.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nicole does this happen when you are not wearing an AO ?

If it doesn't then the AO is doing its own height adjustments on Sit, to adjust for its own Sit animations which have the Pelvis point in the animation file lower than the default Linden sit animation

edit add. I have an AO that does this.  My fix is to turn off my AO before I sit and let the furniture animations apply themselves to me

Edited by Mollymews

4 hours ago, Nicole Trappen said:

The problem I have is anytime I sit on a poseball, I have to adjust the hover height for myself to be down on the ground. Then when I stand up or get off the poseball I have to adjust the hover height again by bringing myself back up again.

What kind of avatar do you have, or what do you wear on your feet? When your hover height is set to 0 (default), you should stand normally on the ground, not sink in. If you're sinking, something you're wearing is offsetting your avatar, or you're wearing something that "extends" your legs, like high heels or tip-toeing feet.

Having to reduce your hover height while you're sitting on an object is normal and expected, unless the furniture is pre-adjusted for hovering.

If you're wearing high heels or something to that effect, you'll want to make yourself a "system shoe," which is like a system skin/tattoo except it's a shoe that can adjust your avatar's height with a heel. This way you can lift your avatar without using hover height and offsetting your entire avatar. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

7 hours ago, Nicole Trappen said:

Next to the guy that had responded to my  problem, I have firestorm-release and don't see "quick preferences" only preferences which doesn't help much because Lidal or nor you Skell explained where I can find it.

In the Firestorm viewer, there is a UI button that has the symbol of the Firestorm Phoenix on it.  That is your Quick Preferences button.

There are two places where hover height can be adjusted.  First, right click yourself, choose Edit Shape.  Look at the last item in the Body sliders, Hover.  Set it to 50, if it is not there.

Then you can use the Hover Height adjustment to account for things like changes in shoes, etc.

hover.jpg.96f63897b0af2fa3512e9c6ef5dce8e5.jpg

On 4/13/2020 at 7:19 AM, Nicole Trappen said:

Hi there ..Anytime I go to sit down or lay down I'm mid-air from where I should be ground level. I've had this issue since last three years or so. Personally for me I can't keep bringing my avatar up and down each time she goes in the air. Can anyone please help me fix this problem? 👈😀🙏

1) Adjust your avatar so that when standing normally your hover height slider (from the menu you get when you click on your avatar) is at 0. If you need to be significantly higher or lower when standing normally, adjust your shoe base. If you keep the hover height slider at a non-0 value for normal purposes you'll run into problems all over the place.

2) When the problem is with a poseball, that poseball was set up for an avatar that is a different height than yours - judging from your description, one that's taller than yours. See if there's an adjustment feature in whatever the poseball belongs to. If there's no adjustment feature then you can use your hover height slider, but you'll need to reset it upon standing.

First I tried to put the hover height in quick preferences to 0.175 and ended up partly in the floor as a few have suggested. Then I looked to see what number would be the best setting which is 1.411. I adjusted the poseball and saved the position on my couch to the appropriate spot. As well as having already adjusted my height to make myself 7.24 I think is where I had put my height at. In other words I'm giving up.

I had already tried putting it to 0 and would've sent me completely out of my house which is in the sky. I've never had this problem with poseballs or furniture. I don't need a therapist, just expressing my frustration both literally and figuratively. I don't like the response that person gave. While my attitude so far isn't the best but I didn't ask for help to be insulted. Even when it doesn't seem or look to you like I'm ungrateful for trying to help me. Because I am grateful. Until you know the person I am in second life or showing that I am a human being with feelings. Doesn't give that person the right to judge me at all. So, with that said I rather move the hover height up and down than to continue to be wasting your time and for me to continue feeling insulted by that person's comment. Good-bye and for a few of you thanks for trying to help me.

I'm not having any problems with shoes I wear on a daily basis Lindal. The problem I have is anytime I sit on a poseball, I have to adjust the hover height for myself to be down on the ground. Then when I stand up or get off the poseball I have to adjust the hover height again by bringing myself back up again. THAT'S THE PROBLEM I'M CURRENTLY BEEN HAVING FOR THE LAST THREE YEARS!! 🥺😀

By the way even though it says Newbie below my name. I've been in second life for 12 years :D

Edited by Nicole Trappen

If you have a minus voting is because you either gave me a lousy suggestion with no actual results. Next to the guy that had responded to my  problem, I have firestorm-release and don't see "quick preferences" only preferences which doesn't help much because Lidal or nor you Skell explained where I can find it. 😒

To Wulfie ..I wear slink hourglass high feet and a regular avatar. By that I mean I am human type of avatar. I first tried without my feet and still had gotten the same result. The place I work at I see sl married couples get on a dance poseballs without having to adjust their hover heights at all. I'm tired and frustrated that I have to adjust my hover height over, over and over again. 🥺

I detached my AO and guess what? ..I'm still in the air and not even close to my couch. And put my height at 50 ..I was still in air ..Anyone else got anymore bright ideas or going to continue giving ones that are a pile of poo (💩) which sticks as much as these two ideas that these two gals gave me 😀

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.