Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JamesTasman

Potential Credit card fraud

Recommended Posts


FJ Linden wrote:

I wanted to clarify what has happened and what we have done about it.  We are continuing to work through technical and policy issues that are identified through the beta test of our new billing system.  This message was generated by one of our new international payments providers as part of a procedure for requiring additional information only in the case when initial tests for a valid payment method were unsuccessful.  While this occurs for a very small number of transactions,  it will cause the need for further information to be requested.  
However, the message response that was generated, as well as the request for sensitive personal information, was not acceptable.
  We have worked through the policy issues with our vendor and do not expect these requests to be handled in this way in the future.  There may continue to be secondary level fraud checks,
but we will never request personal information to be sent to any third party, in order for residents to make payments in Second Life or with Linden Lab.

 

Amazing! How come you arranged for "personal information" to be sent to a third party in the first place? Where were the LL brains when that decision was made and, if it was acceptable to LL then, why do you say that it's unacceptable now? The people who dealt with it at LL are just inexperienced amateurs, just like those who dealt with homesteads, aren't they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


FJ Linden wrote:

I wanted to clarify what has happened and what we have done about it.  We are continuing to work through technical and policy issues that are identified through the beta test of our new billing system.  This message was generated by one of our new international payments providers as part of a procedure for requiring additional information only in the case when initial tests for a valid payment method were unsuccessful.  While this occurs for a very small number of transactions,  it will cause the need for further information to be requested.  However, the message response that was generated, as well as the request for sensitive personal information, was not acceptable.  We have worked through the policy issues with our vendor and do not expect these requests to be handled in this way in the future.  There may continue to be secondary level fraud checks, but we will never request personal information to be sent to any third party, in order for residents to make payments in Second Life or with Linden Lab.

 

Thanks for the update. My first reaction was "This would have never happened with PayPal". Can new international customers please get the same confidence-inspiring payment options that existing customers still have, namely to pay Linden Lab directly via PayPal or credit card? Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Void Singer wrote:

the beta was opt-in for a limited number of non-us users in certain areas... noone that wasn't in the beta should be affected, and you'd know if your were in it

In this case someone that not me “opted me in”, as I am in the new system and never opted in, and the system is still in beta test, according to the post by FJ Linden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Void Singer wrote:

the beta was opt-in for a limited number of non-us users in certain areas... noone that wasn't in the beta should be affected, and you'd know if your were in it

This beta was forced on many new international customers, without them being asked to opt in. I signed up as Ishtara Resident when single names became available, and I found myself being part of the beta when I tried to add payment information to the new account. I was unable to simply add my credit card number and instead had to make an L$ purchase through LL's German payment provider in order to get account verified.

PS: This beta was originally dubbed the new local payment system. From what I heard and read, all new non-US residents were initially switched to the new system. It appears that it only became a beta after people reported problems such as the payment window refusing to load in their browser of choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Void Singer wrote:

you can read more about it by looking at FJ lindens posts elsewhere on the forums, which has links to more info.

Thanks Void, but i'd say that what the rest of us non-USA people are lumbered with at the moment is no better than Beta software anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

Amazing! How come you arranged for "personal information" to be sent to a third party in the first place? [...]

 that's a completely ridiculous statement, the information was (and must be) collected by the company handling the payments. they literally have to have it to do their job, (just as with paypal)...

the only question here is NOT whether they should have had the information (they should), but what they did with it and how they handled it.

 

@Arkady:

I don't disagree in the least... non-US residents are stuck in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario that's rather ugly... I'm glad this was exposed in that companies "fraud prevention" practices, but sorry for the people that got tagged on it. hopefully it means smoother sailing in the future for payments outside the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We actually have just enabled a PayPal option for international.  This functionality was just activated last week, so this should now be available to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's very good, and very long-awaited, news, FJ.

Perhaps a rather more prominent announcement than this would be in order?    It really has been a major inconvenience for a lot of your non-US customers, I think, who will doubtless be glad it's now apparently resolved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FJ, despite the fact that I thought that the problems with PAYPAL were solved yesterday (did about 20 phonecalls to the billing service dept while being pingpong'd around) I did a test purchase of lindendollars with one of my accounts minutes ago;

 

  • the payment procedure completed without any issues
  • when checking the account history I see this and no money ....
  • 05/31/2011 15:12:27 - Customer Payment Declined $0.00 ($0.05)
    05/31/2011 15:12:16 - LindeX Currency Buy Transaction in Progres

 

  • 2th attempt
  • 05/31/2011 15:19:53 - Customer Payment Declined $0.00 ($0.05)
    05/31/2011 15:19:44 - LindeX Currency Buy Transaction in Progress
    

is it too early to see the effect of you guys reactivating paypal or what do we have to do??????????????

*meows*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had thought there was a 2.50$US minimum to lindex purchases? your statement shows 0.05$US.... if the limit is still in place, that could be why the payment was declined (although it's odd that the system let you get even that far if it is)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...