Why aren’t there linden sales?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In all my years of playing I don’t think I’ve seen linden labs offer anything for sale other than their premium .. I think they would make sooo much money if they offered sales on lindens... like how imvu does their sales every now and then. A Valentine’s Day sale? Easter sale? Christmas sale of half off lindens?! Come on!!! Seriously the other day I spent 10 pounds on lindens and all I could do with tht small amount was pay my rent.. either lower the prices or give more lindens for the amount of money  we are being charged.. I wanted to use the quarantine as an opportunity to get back Into The game but sadly that isn’t the case.. secondlife will never make a good comeback unless the people are offered some sort of incentive... imvu may be full of kids and ***** but they know how important it is for some people who have made lasting friendships...  stop milking us and give us something back because we have dedicated so much  to the platform. Give the new players an opportunity to upgrade themselves .. the world isn’t getting any richer and the poor people are being exploited. Ugh disgust!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

RETAILERS (and rental places) give sales all the time. Many retailers have fifty percent off sales  -- some annually or semi-annually.  Many rental places give discounts if you pay several weeks in advance. 

And of course you can have a very full SL life spending NO MONEY AT ALL.  So I can't see any reason at all to your suggestion. 

Unless of course you are simply bored or trolling :D.  

• Like 3

It's not Linden Lab's fault that $10 is only enough for you to pay your rent.

Linden Lab did not set the price of your rent (unless you own the land directly I guess). If LL gave you twice as many lindens for $10, your rent would surely become twice as expensive because the value of lindens would drop. Same applies for everything else you would want to buy.

38 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Unless of course you are simply bored or trolling :D.  

It doesn't really matter whether they are or not, because it is a legitimate question.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, MrsMancino said:

In all my years of playing I don’t think I’ve seen linden labs offer anything for sale other than their premium .. I think they would make sooo much money if they offered sales on lindens...

By doing that LL have in effect had a sale on L$. in the past I have taken up such offer as just on L$ alone it worked out i'd get more L$ albeit not in one go than i would just buying L$ things like the old premium homes back then, gifts and access to premium only sandboxes and other destinations were a bonus 

1 hour ago, MrsMancino said:

the world isn’t getting any richer and the poor people are being exploited. Ugh disgust!!

The kind of thing you're suggesting would even further harm the people who make part of their living in SL by making goods or providing services they're paid for in Linden Dollars.

1 hour ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

The kind of thing you're suggesting would even further harm the people who make part of their living in SL by making goods or providing services they're paid for in Linden Dollars.

Yes, plus it would screw-up those who sell Lindens unless the Lindens gave us a one-time free sort of stimulus package of say 5000 Lindens that goes to all residents but nothing like a stimulus (more or less free spending money) is currently mentioned anywhere.  

Would LL ever do anything like a stimulus?  Are they allowed to do a stimulus...or just perhaps make Premium free for a short time wherein that would make the stipend "free" for a short time?   But, that wouldn't be fair to those who already 'are' Premium.  Not to mention I would not be interested in Premium for such a small stipend.  

I mean what do they have to lose because I am only keeping my last rentals open one more month.  If coronavirus safe at home lasts longer than May, I will close all SL rentals I currently have.  I already closed out half in April.  Money is for RL now for my situation.  

I mean does LL want to just have residents keep closing up shop so to speak and to not spend?  

Sadly, for SL and my case, money is RL now.  Things have changed.  

And, for most of us, we've always had a motto whether spoken to each other or not which is...."real life comes first."

The problem with a SL stimulus though is ALTS.  So perhaps a stimulus only to those with PIOF.  The rest can sign up for PIOF and then receive the stimulus.  I don't know if a stimulus could work due to ALTS.  

Edited by FairreLilette

Sales are based off resident buy/sell rate. If LL discounted L$, then it would undercut people trying to sell L$, which in turn, would tick people off. This would have the effect of killing the economy. People already criticize the economy enough.

The exchange is already a wiggly worm(See https://secondlife.softhyena.com/stats), keeping it in it's wiggly state is ideal as it means it will keep going up/down. If it goes up too much, the less value L$ has, and people will reprice their stuff, in turn making discounting pointless. However if it begins to go down, L$ will have more value, which will result in people POSSIBLY repricing stuff to be a lower L$ cost, but similar USD cost.

Economics is very tricky, you really do not want artificially modify it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.