10 years since Woodbury

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

25 minutes ago, babytuckoo said:

It's 10 years to the month that Woodbury U was banned from SL and the course of SL changed forever (some argue for the worse)

We should organize a period of silence later today as a mark of respect

What was Woodbury?

• Like 1

If you are interested in learning about the saga of Woodbury University, I did blog about it here (it is #6 on my list of the Top 20 controversies in the first 15 years of Second Life's history):

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/08/16/the-top-18-controversies-in-the-15-year-history-of-second-life/

I should probably update this list...anybody have any favourite controversies that I missed?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Never heard of it.

You may not have heard of Woodbury but you probably would have heard of the Patriotic Nigras. They were an infamous group of griefers who terrorised the grid for a number of years. Most notably for ruining a certain famous realtors SL to RL news interview. Most of the griefing scripts, textures, sounds you see used in SL probably originated from that group. They were heavily associated with Woodbury U as was half of 4 chan.

https://secondlife.fandom.com/wiki/Woodbury_University

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriotic_Nigras

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis
  • Like 2

It's a thread just trying to get a 9 page response from Prok. since they never stopped harassing her after all these years.

we all get butt hurt sometimes..Move on Woodbury!

butthurt.jpg.eda9fafb3f001c24f6bb6d48a126b72d.jpg

Edited by Shansi Kenin
Grammer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Well that's a bit more informative

They went from attacking residents to attacking the lindens openly. a mighty ban hammer came out of the sky banning them all, while deleting all the sims. every now and then as Bree pointed out they whimper a cry to try and remain relevant... when no one cares.

Edited by Shansi Kenin
  • Like 2

Were it not for the fact that I don't want to lend them vastly more importance than they deserve (the one thing Woodbury U was really good at was self-promotion), I'd be baking a cake to celebrate the anniversary of their demise.

They were obnoxious, mean-spirited, pretentious, and self-important cretins. Their demise ranks up there with the obliteration of RedZone as one of the good things that happened in that era.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I really thought this was a reference t o the walking dead.

Some of them are. Most of them have grown up by now but there are a few "crazy old soldiers" both from Woodbury and their mortal enemies/mirror image, the Justice League, who just don't know how to quit and will never admit they have ever done anything wrong or even remotely questionable.

There's a short article about them here.

As for where Prokofy comes into the picture, well think of the Woodbury gang as a bunch of underage kids having a helluva binge drinking garden party while mom and dad's away. Add Prokofy as their next door neighbor and you should get the idea.

• Haha 3

There was a video they had made that was actually well done,when they were trying to come back..

I met a few of them in a redzone thread, back in SLU when the whole redzone thing was going on..

A few of them were not bad people..we even started an SL security team together that would help people with security questions with their viewers and other things to keep them safe from people trying to track them or hack them and so on..

There was some old group before that was  called The Hand I think,something like that.. So We decided to make this one called  The Pink hand, which was for helping people with SL online security pretty much..

I don't think I ever met any of the griefers.. If I did then they had moved on to be a better person,because everyone in our group was really helpful..

it felt really good to help people like that..I was already doing that from the Greenzone group anyways and thought, more channels can reach more people..

I really had it in for Red zone bad..

ETA: I just checked my Flickr, because i remember the group leader had us do a group shot and then wanted an individual picture from each of us..the only requirement was we all had to wear something pink that stood out in it..

so i made this one..this was 2011..hehehehe

6212224870_6b43073f51_b.jpg

Edited by Ceka Cianci

when Woodbury Uni got banhammered from Second Life in 2010 for the second and final time,  the reason was for the exact same reason that everyone else gets the banhammer from Second Life. Breach of Community Standards and ToS

as the Dean of Woodbury Uni, Edward Clift, told to US News, the notification email from Linden Lab read:

"Linden Lab has decided to no longer support Woodbury University in Second Life. We are making this decision based on historical and recent events that constitute a breach of the Second Life community standards and terms of service. We ask that you please respect the decision and do not take part in the Second Life platform in the future."

Mr Clift did try to spin it into something else, unconvincingly trying to make it all about his own outrage at the ebil Linden Lab Empires. When a person turns a fairly serious issue, into a tale about their outrage at the consequence to them of their own actions, and not about their actions/behaviours towards others leading to the consequence, then pretty much everyone who hears this kind of  tale about ebil empires starts yawning

the US News link is here: https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/paper-trail/2010/04/22/california-college-loses-second-life-for-a-second-time

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

There was a video they had made that was actually well done,when they were trying to come back..

Oh yes, there were some very creative people among them.

5 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

A few of them were not bad people..

When the booze is flowing, the music is loud and the party is one, even the saintliest person can do bad and stupid things. There's nothing you cannot do once you stop worrying about the consequences. Once you sober up, it's a completely different story. I'm not saying they were actually drunk but it is a very suitable metaphor.

13 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Oh yes, there were some very creative people among them.

When the booze is flowing, the music is loud and the party is one, even the saintliest person can do bad and stupid things. There's nothing you cannot do once you stop worrying about the consequences. Once you sober up, it's a completely different story. I'm not saying they were actually drunk but it is a very suitable metaphor.

I didn't know much about Woodbury myself or how much they were involved with it..

I just know we met in a redzone thread and decided to try and  find a way to help people with information to make SL a safer online place for them..

It wasn't my only group like that..

All we did was answer questions and give some basic advice, as well as viewer settings that would keep people unseen by  scanners like RZ  and others were using..

The ones I made the group with didn't care for RZ either and I guess that's what we had in common..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.