New to SL, Bought Skirt, but it Seems to Equip Sideways

Nya Banana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been struggling to do this correctly, take things as slow as possible, and really understand this lovely world. I bought an extremely nice looking Sailor Jupiter outfit from here for my girlfriend. She's trying to use the Morgan model and equip the outfit, but if required, she's not set on the model. When she equips the skirt, it equips sideways. It's nomodify, so I can't edit it, and otherwise it looks great! (picture attached)

Additionally, I noticed they're all labelled "(resizer)", any ideas on how to utilise this feature? Edit: Very obvious, just click the items lol.

Thank you for your time :).

SailorJupiterClothing.png

Edited by TRDiscordian
solved :)

Yeah... Modify refers to modifying the dress. Think of the changes you could make if you rezzed it on the ground. THose the modify changes they mean.

When you wear the dress you create the attachment information. All the attachant info is editable by you.

45 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Yeah... Modify refers to modifying the dress. Think of the changes you could make if you rezzed it on the ground. THose the modify changes they mean.

When you wear the dress you create the attachment information. All the attachant info is editable by you.

Is there a section where I can easily view the stored attachment information while the object is in my inventory? For example if I get an item meant for my pelvis, equip it to my hand first explicitly, it'll later default to equipping to the hand (via wear/double-click), until I manually equip it to pelvis again sometime later. Additionally, it'll likely screw with the rotation (which I believe is what happened with my skirt), which I guess I have to later edit. I don't know where to see/edit these details without having them on my character (or I suppose as you suggested, rezing them and editing from there).

I could work around it pretty easily with multiple objects, and it might even be easier. Mostly curious I guess, would reduce the amount of items need in my inventory anyways.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRDiscordian said:

Is there a section where I can easily view the stored attachment information while the object is in my inventory? For example if I get an item meant for my pelvis, equip it to my hand first explicitly, it'll later default to equipping to the hand (via wear/double-click), until I manually equip it to pelvis again sometime later. Additionally, it'll likely screw with the rotation (which I believe is what happened with my skirt), which I guess I have to later edit. I don't know where to see/edit these details without having them on my character (or I suppose as you suggested, rezing them and editing from there).

no there isn't sorry

it would be quite useful tho like you say.  I think if it were to be possible then the last attachment point could be displayed in My Outfits folder for all attachments listed for an outfit (not just when worn)

the attachment data is already remembered/saved somewhere already for the system to work as it does now. It might need some metadata added to the Outfit record tho, am not sure.  How difficult resource allocation-wise that might be for Linden to do I dunno either. But seems like a good idea to me

Edited by Mollymews
dunno
  • Like 1

@TRDiscordian  No... The attachment info resides on the SL asset server. It only exists in the viewer once attached. I may be wrong about that as it has been awhile since I've heard it discussed in a Linden UG. 

When rezzed the size, rotation, and position values are region global values that exist only while the item is rezzed. While rezzed the item has a unique UUID. Rez a second copy of the same item and it gets a different UUID. Oddly, when taken back into inventory that in-world position, rotation, and size info does get saved. There are viewers that try to use it to restore a prim to its previous location. But, there are problems with that. The Linden viewer doesn't do anything with that info... and it has been minute since I experimented to see what the default viewer does in this regard.

When you right click an item in inventory you can pick where to attach it. It attaches there with whatever attachment position attributes were previously saved with the item. You then edit position, rotation, and size with the Build, Edit Panel. There is no other way to reasonably edit the attachment attributes. It has to be attached.

As you seem to expect, the position, rotation, & size are seldom what you want when assigning the attachment to a new attachment point on the avatar. I typically will buy an item and 'Add' it to see where it attaches, often the right-hand as that is the default attachment point. Things work best if there is only one item per attachment point. Two or three on a point is usually ok. Somewhere after 2 or 3 things start to fall off when crossing region boundaries. So I buy, attach, and detach and then usually do Attach to... someplace. Now all copies will clone the new attachment attributes. Meaning I only have to do this once per attachment.The attachment's attributes are unique to each copy. They just start with the parents info. Change a copy and only the copy is changed.

I wouldn't worry about the number of items in inventory. The only real challenges are being able to find things and getting too many items in a single folder (called a flat inventory - depending on viewer and network speed something >5k items per folder becomes a problem). A folder in a folder only counts as one item even if there are a thousand things in it. Big inventories need to be deep... meaning lots of subfolders.

Inventory in the viewer is a list of descriptions and UUIDs. The description is for you and the UUID is for the system. I forget how many bytes per entry (128? 256?) but it isn't very many. Everything is in the asset server on the SL side.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.