Widespread temporary ejection of AFK avatars from crowded public sims

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Requiring the General Public's opinion for the construction of an "AFK Zone" Sim available at one click of a button or on ejection of the avatar.

Reasons behind the motive:

1) AFK avatars consume valuable space at popular sims, preventing active people from entering. (They are detected late by ejection systems on the sim)
2) AFK avatars leaving people interested in conversations clueless after their first message.
3) AFK avatars being generous contributors to lag at various sims.
4) Unites AFK avatars with those of their kind; bonding between similar people.

Please Note: 
This discussion -

• does not include residential sims, but only major public sims.
  • uses "AFK avatars" to refer to people AFK intentionally for prolonged periods of time (greater than 45 minutes).
  • only encourages the temporary removal of AFK avatars from sims, allowing more deserving people to enter the sim.

Edited by ArchangelMarcus
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
3 hours ago, ArchangelMarcus said:

"The AFK Virus has been on the loose for the past few years, getting contagious with the passage of time.  Though at one point of time we all have been victims of it, there are some who suffer long term complications"

This is tacky and tasteless and does the rest of your argument no favours whatsoever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

I tend to be AFK a lot, as I am online 24/7. I keep my avatar logged in for various reasons, such as being able to capture group chats and moderate a region easily.

6 hours ago, ArchangelMarcus said:

1) AFK avatars consume valuable space at popular sims, preventing active people from entering. (They are detected late by ejection systems on the sim)
2) AFK avatars leaving people interested in conversations clueless after their first message.
3) AFK avatars being generous contributors to lag at various sims.
4) Unites AFK avatars with those of their kind; bonding between similar people.

1. Valuable is subjective to whether or not the region regularly caps it's max avatar count, as well as if people have premium(as there is a premium bonus).
  2. I don't think anyone would be confused at someone being afk.. Well.. maybe not, I've had encounters with very impatient people who don't know what AFK is. That is their problem, not mine, especially since my auto-response states that "I may not be at the computer at the moment, please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible!".
  3. Very much depends on how many scripts they are using. Avatars don't just enter a region and suddenly start to cause lag. If they have poorly written scripts, or are wearing a lot of scripts that are doing a lot of things, sure, it can cause lag. But I keep my script count low and make sure that the scripts I am wearing are under a specific level of script time which I would see fair, which I am typically using less script time than a majority of people in regions, and even some objects!
  4. This is just a "funny" statement that isn't really funny, it has no weight to the argument.

7 hours ago, ArchangelMarcus said:
  • does not include residential sims, but only major public sims.
  • uses "AFK avatars" to refer to people AFK intentionally for prolonged periods of time (greater than 45 minutes).
  • only encourages the temporary removal of AFK avatars from sims, allowing more deserving people to enter the sim.

So lets look at "major public sims"(they are called regions btw). What counts as a major public region? Do private regions count? It is technically open to the public and we get lots of guests, but does it count as "public"? Are we talking mainland/linden owned land, or land owned by residents? I think this would tick off a lot of private region owners, especially if say, their bots get kicked, or one of their tenants get kicked.

"AFK avatars", I can agree with that statement, personally I classify someone as afk if they have not done anything(input, move, chat, etc) for more than 5 minutes. At least, thats how my tracker marks them. I don't eject them though, it is purely statistical.

"allowing more deserving people to enter the sim". This statement reeks of entitlement. What classifies as "more deserving"? It is first come first serve with region entries, with the exception of premium fast passes into regions. If a avatar is temporarily removed, they can't get back in if it is full.

So for the main question:

7 hours ago, ArchangelMarcus said:

Requiring the General Public's opinion for the construction of an "AFK Zone" Sim available at one click of a button or on ejection of the avatar. 

No. I am highly against this. If I have people in a region and they get kicked randomly without my or another moderator's consent, I'd be pretty ticked off. If I got kicked from a region I moderate, I would be seriously ticked off. If I got kicked from a region I rent in, I would be supremely ticked off.

Leave it to region owners and moderator's to decide what to do regarding afk people. It is their region, it should stay that way.

If you mean mainland, same scenario goes on here, people own land there, while it is sometimes unfair(*cough*people having like 30+ fully decked out in scripts bots in a 40 max agents region yes this is going on and yes I rent land there and yes it ticks me off*cough*), let governance handle it.

If you mean stuff like Linden operated games, say Linden Realms or Paleoquest, I believe those already have afk kickers in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I think auto-ejection of AFK avatars would be useful in one circumstance only; busy shopping events where there is a queue to get in. On the other hand I really don't think enough people go AFK in them for long enough for your proposal to make any difference whatsoever.

The creation of a special zone for it is totally pointless. There is already the facility for land-owners to eject people and send them home. There's simply no good reason whatsoever for sending them somewhere else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What's this "temporary" aspect of it supposed to be? If the region is full they won't be able to get back in straight away. Ejection is ejection. Are you trying to make your idea sound friendlier and more palatable? Hurrah, it's not a permanent ban.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

Leave it to region owners and moderator's to decide what to do regarding afk people. It is their region, it should stay that way.

Yes this 100%

• Like 5

Let each region owner decide. It doesn’t usually affect me much, I’m premium and I don’t loiter AFK at any crowded place. 

• Like 3

If your asking for some auto feature that is present on all regions all the time. OH Hell NO it should not be added. It would cause more problems than good.

Sounds like you got mad because you wanted in some region and couldn't get it at the time and because there was some afk so you want to try and force people to not be afk where you want to go. Tough get over it and yourself. You are nobody important that you need to be able to access what ever region you want when you want because you want.

People have just as much right to be afk at any sim they want if the sim owner doesn't care that they do as you think you do for being allowed in when you want in.

The topic smells like a "im special let me in when I want in or else" topic.

plus someone could just contrive an auto-anti-anti-afk script that would make them seem non afk. Its not hard to do really. All anti-afk systems can be defeated by those who really want too. None are impossible to defeat.

Guess you never played games that had anti-afk systems that kicked people from the game for being afk..and people would find ways around them. its not that hard really.

I could write one for seti autoit and run it on the desktop that would defeat almost all forms of anti-afk detection fairly easily.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 4
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

If your asking for some auto feature that is present on all regions all the time. OH Hell NO it should not be added. It would cause more problems than good.

Sounds like you got mad because you wanted in some region and couldn't get it at the time and because there was some afk so you want to try and force people to not be afk where you want to go. Tough get over it and yourself. You are nobody important that you need to be able to access what ever region you want when you want because you want.

People have just as much right to be afk at any sim they want if the sim owner doesn't care that they do as you think you do for being allowed in when you want in.

The topic smells like a "im special let me in when I want in or else" topic.

Thank you for your opinion. I do accept that "The one who owns the land, rules the land".
But there are a few things I wish to bring under the spotlight in regard to your response.

• Firstly. I assert myself as a one of the many commoners on SL and this hasn't been a one day issue, it has been repetitive and a rather routine issue. (Of which everyone is certainly aware)
  • Secondly. Lives are meant to be lived whether they are First or Second Lives. AFKing isn't worthy of being called "Living the life".

To give you a clearer picture, imagine a constricted road-block with the AFK person being the cause of it and if you wish to know my position, put yourself in the driver seat of one of the cars in the middle.

Edited by ArchangelMarcus
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
28 minutes ago, ArchangelMarcus said:

imagine a constricted road-block with the AFK person being the cause of it and if you wish to know my position, put yourself in the driver seat of one of the cars in the middle.

You do know there are people with disabilities in SL that might only be able to be there but are limited to conversing with those around. they might seem AFK but really they are at the limits of there ability. this is the only community they have, those around you might even know this but say nothing for privacy reasons.

• Like 2
On 4/12/2020 at 3:49 AM, ArchangelMarcus said:

setting aside your reasonings/motivations for a moment

what you are asking for is a estate control which can clear a region of avatars other than the only current methods. Which are to restart the region, or run a script to summarily teleport home everyone (or just some everyone's) present  This is not a bad ask and could be useful for some estate owners in some cases

however, it is when we get into what does AFK mean to the estate/parcel owner that it starts to get a bit complicated

example:  A person is idle, like parked up chilling out on a beach soaking up sun, sea salt, not chatting to anyone in either public or IM. Just listening to the music stream winding down before they go to bed RL

to one parcel/estate owner this person may be judged to be AFK. To another owner this person may not be, as for the owner this is a normal and expected behaviour on their region/parcel

the problem with a Linden automated system of deducing AFK, is how does the system deduce AFK when the available activity parameters are the same, yet the intent is different (like in the above for example). A generic automated system can't deduce intent based only on activity/non-activity parameters

so Linden leave it to the parcel/region owner to determine intent.  And then for the parcel/region owner to implement this intent with a script

• Like 2

There is something  called 'Idle Detector Purger' , I just  checked to see if it is still being used on the sim I had found it. It warns you after 10 minutes and  move  you  off sim after 20.

The sim owner told me times are adjustable.

Generally  AFK  don't  bother me ( if I have to be away more than a few minuites I log out), but  for busy Shopping event, where the same avi stays in for hour, I think it would be usefull

3 hours ago, ArchangelMarcus said:

Thank you for your opinion. I do accept that "The one who owns the land, rules the land".
But there are a few things I wish to bring under the spotlight in regard to your response.

• Firstly. I assert myself as a one of the many commoners on SL and this hasn't been a one day issue, it has been repetitive and a rather routine issue. (Of which everyone is certainly aware)
  • Secondly. Lives are meant to be lived whether they are First or Second Lives. AFKing isn't worthy of being called "Living the life".
  • Thirdly. AFKing doesn't offer any potential benefits. Unless the person AFKing is one who wishes to be a collector of "Hello's" or compliments or perhaps seeks subtle, silent public recognition for standing out there.

To give you a clearer picture, imagine a constricted road-block with the AFK person being the cause of it and if you wish to know my position, put yourself in the driver seat of one of the cars in the middle.

Fourthly....shush (that's more polite than I originally typed)

Your entire post screams of entitlement.....you're entitled to label people worthy, entitled to label others' experience(s) in sl. whatever they may be or may not be as worthy of a "spot somewhere" or even being allowed to exist...you're entitled to dictate what people who pay for virtual server space are allowed to do with it.....

Just shut the front door on all of that mess, let's call a spade a spade and be done with it, spade.

If I want to AFK somewhere, and it isn't somewhere that has some written rule telling me not to...I will damn well AFK. I do it all the time. I do it when exploring and I need to stop what I'm doing inworld to assist a chid with homework, get my family's dinner started, feed our animals, have a conversation with my family members, make or answer a phone call, get some housework done, or hell just sit and twiddle my thumbs for a while and no one else but those PAYING for the pixelated server space which I am temporarily occupying should ever get a say in whether or not I deserve to be there.

Let me repeat that to make it plainly clear....you, nor anyone else that isn't financially responsible for that particular bit of server space, will ever, or should tell me *I* am not worthy of being somewhere, because I don't match your ideals-for ANY reason. Change the me to anyone else, and it applies as well.

The rest of your drivel just makes you kinda sound like an entitled jerk. Note, I'm not calling you one, merely explaining your words paint a picture to the reader and you're definitely not convincing me that's some kind of Picasso hiding under that egg. It's a bad idea from start to finish, and only gets worse when you try and go further with it.

If I can't get in somewhere, then I can't get in somewhere. I don't throw a tantrum, textual, verbal or physical...because it's been a minute since I was last a toddler. It's not the end of your sl word because someone else, or even lots of someones is/are afk-ing somewhere, lol. It's not causing you any kind of actual distress, it's not costing you money, it's not doing you any amount of harm at all. Goodness gracious what a weird thing to get all petulant about, lol.

• Thanks 4
1 minute ago, Tari Landar said:

Fourthly....shush (that's more polite than I originally typed)

Your entire post screams of entitlement.

I guess everyone in the sim has to orbit around him, sending a mssg every 5min they are not AFK..heaven forbid someone's need to fold cloths out of the dryer 😉

• Like 2
9 hours ago, ArchangelMarcus said:

• Thirdly. AFKing doesn't offer any potential benefits. Unless the person AFKing is one who wishes to be a collector of "Hello's" or compliments or perhaps seeks subtle, silent public recognition for standing out there.

Please, step back a moment and reread this bit again. It's an enormous assumption and demeaning jibe about other people's motivations. I hardly ever AFK myself and have some criticisms of the habit but what you wrote here is uncalled for and mean-spirited.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Please, step back a moment and reread this bit again. It's an enormous assumption and demeaning jibe about other people's motivations. I hardly ever AFK myself and have some criticisms of the habit but what you wrote here is uncalled for and mean-spirited.

Withdrawn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, ArchangelMarcus said:

It really doenst matter what you think is fair or not. Tough if you dont like that you cant always get where you want when you want. You are not entitled too ever.

Tough if you dont like the idea that the owner rules the land and their rules are what matter, that is how SL works.

You have no special rights or privileges or entitlements in SL. No other person or land owner has to do as you wish or you think is fair or right or moral. Get over yourself in thinking you matter any more than anyone else in what they allowed to do. You dont.

If I want to afk at a sim, as long as that sim doesnt expressly say its not allowed in the rules. I will.. no matter if its for 1 hour or 1 day. I used to stay logged in all the time. I never logged out. during those times I often afk'd at sims for days. Tough if it was a popular sim. If the sim owner didnt want it they could eject me. If they didnt then oh well.

SL does not need a LL automated ejection system for those who are afk.

• Like 1

At busy shopping events, I cam shop. I don't move except to clear the landing area. I'm generally not speaking in local nor generally giving any cue that I'm not actually AFK.

Your perception may not be reality. Unless you are actually looking over the shoulder of the actual player and they get up from the computer, you don't actually know if they're AFK or just antisocial.

• Like 2
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.