Second Life Beta

Corbannn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi Everyone,

How do I get access to the Second Life Beta Grid. I tried logging in as myself with no luck. I've never accessed it before. I tried to create a new user for that grid and that doesn't work either. Any ideas on how I can get on that grid. I have some new objects that I want to check out.

Thanks, Corban

5 answers to this question

See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Preview_Grid.

Supposedly you can just log in, but often it takes a support request to get that to work. A copy of your login and inventory on the main grid are supposed to be available, with some delay, on the beta grid.  Often that doesn't work  or takes days. You have to get logged in on the beta grid at least once before copying starts.

The beta grid is mostly used for testing mesh uploads, because uploads on the beta grid are charged to the fake beta Lindens you get for free there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

A copy of your login and inventory on the main grid are supposed to be available, with some delay, on the beta grid.  Often that doesn't work  or takes days. You have to get logged in on the beta grid at least once before copying starts.

Inventory is odd there.  The inventory refresh is supposed to happen each evening or early morning and they are supposed to do a merge -- insert new stuff, but not delete anything - but that seems to work funky sometimes.  It gets really confusing when you move items and/or folders around in your main grid inventory - or rename things.

On the beta grid, I keep a single separate folder for all of the stuff that I upload there - that way it does not get involved or confused with any of the other inventory manipulation that happens based on the main grid inventory.

For the rest of the folders, I've found that deleting folders will result in a proper update of that folder.  i.e. I'll delete some sub-folder in textures and then the next day that sub-folder has been re-copied in full, thus containing whatever textures it was that I was missing originally on the beta grid and the folder looks exactly like the one in my main inventory regardless of what sort of moving/renaming I've done there.  Using that method for things that I am working with on the beta grid seems to be pretty consistent in the results.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.