Skyboxes

Porphy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

I find an easier procedure is to:

• Rez a big flat prim at ground level.  If your land is not too large, stretch it to cover the entire land parcel, but not go over the borders.
  • Sit on the edge of the prim
  • Open the Edit window, and in the Z Position box, change the number from whatever it is to the altitude you want your skybox, e.g. 2500.
  • The prim will immediately relocate to that altitude, with you aboard.
  • Jump off, fly back up and stand on the prim. 
  • You now have a building platform on which to rez your skybox.  The edges of the prim also show you the edges of your property, so you won't slop over into the neighbors' land.
  • When done, you can delete your positioning prim.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Porphy said:

I'm interested in buying a skybox but where would I put it and what is the process like? I feel like it might be complicated. 

not complicated.. but you'll need to rent or buy land to place a skybox

Renting is paying another resident for the land you have in use,( no need for a premium membership)
Buying is paying Linden Lab for the land you have in use ( in form of premium membership that includes use of a small part of land, you need to buy that land yourself or get a Linden Home, or if you need more,  you get additional fees)

Take a good look at landownership and premiummebership in the knowledgebase before you jump in this adventure.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2

And then, when you have land, create your skybox on the ground (reasonably far from the edges of the parcel of land), and lift it straight up to the height you desire. A skybox, after all, is nothing more than a home or platform that is in the sky instead of on the ground. Do pay attention to local covenant restrictions, which may not allow skyboxes at all or (as in the case of my own region) not below a specific elevation.

• Like 1

Notice that Lindal's method and mine are essentially the same: they begin by creating something on the ground.  That's really the important part.  Once you are far above ground, you have no easy way to tell whether the things you are working on are still inside your own parcel.  If they are not, then a neighbor may decide to return any of your items that encroach on her parcel. Therefore, starting at ground level helps assure you that the skybox or work platform is entirely in your own parcel. As long as you don;t move it sideways or stretch it once it's in the sky, you're safe.  Like many creator skills in SL, it's a good idea to practice on disposable dummy objects before you try it on the real thing.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos, of course
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.