What does a post covid-19 world look like to you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My concern in a post covid-19 world, HCWD will be like made cow disease/crutchfield jacobsen disease but will get spread at some point considering its incubation time as a STD.

Chronic Wasting Disease has been confirmed to have jumped from deer to birds in north America, in next several years as cats catch birds they will be infected, soon spreading to family dogs then humans. the disease has 100% fatality rate, it cannot be cured, it is not a virus or bacteria, it can survive 1000 degree fire, radiation and infected droppings in the soil can remain active for up to 20 years. HCWD is the disease blowing up right in our own backyard but 100% ignored in a post covid-19 world until it's too late.

5 minutes ago, Shansi Kenin said:

My concern in a post covid-19 world, HCWD will be like made cow disease/crutchfield jacobsen disease but will get spread at some point considering its incubation time as a STD.

Chronic Wasting Disease has been confirmed to have jumped from deer to birds in north America, in next several years as cats catch birds they will be infected, soon spreading to family dogs then humans. the disease has 100% fatality rate, it cannot be cured, it is not a virus or bacteria, it can survive 1000 degree fire, radiation and infected droppings in the soil can remain active for up to 20 years. HCWD is the disease blowing up right in our own backyard but 100% ignored in a post covid-19 world until it's too late.

Well, you have now convinced me to kill the feral cats I feed.  Poor Mittens, he's such a sweetheart.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Storm Clarence said:

No handshakes? No cash? No....   Seems weird.  My imagination goes in so many different ways that I am unable to truly articulate what I think the world will look like, but I am so sure it will be different than it was in January 2020.  An opinions?

No Handshakes. Its been thrown around as a possibility but considering it has been around since BC times I don't see that changing. What else could you do?

No Cash. Cant see this happening in America given that a lot of places still don't have tap and go, pay wave etc. Other countries such as in EU and Australia it may just become that as we have already seen a huge drop in people using cash before all this mess. Reserve Bank of Australia has already hinted that this new paper currency change we have atm will be the last.

I think this is going to change a lot of things. More money spent on healthcare, better healthcare systems, future proofing the economies. Hopefully best of all will be manufacturing brought back to the respective countries instead of relying on one country to produce everything.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shansi Kenin said:

Well, aren't YOU just the little ray of sunshine?  I did a little Googling and that is indeed one horrid disease.  I wasn't able to find a reference about its having jumped to birds, though.  The articles I read limited it to cervids.  That's bad enough...the draconian measures to prevent the spread of mad cow disease (a related ailment) show that plainly enough.  I would also add the qualifier, "it cannot be cured YET".  This disease is caused by mis-folded proteins, and we are learning more about protein folding every day.

In fact, you can contribute your spare computer time to the research, by signing up for an account at Folding@Home  This is a distributed computing project, a lot like SETI@Home.  Your donated computer time can also help find cures for COVID-19, Alzheimers, and others.

12 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Well, aren't YOU just the little ray of sunshine?  I did a little Googling and that is indeed one horrid disease.

I rarely eat meat and very rarely eat beaf. Prion disease is one reason why. Prions are rugged, nasty li'l devils. Fortunately, prion infections are rare, even though it seems prions might be accumulating in the environment.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I rarely eat meat and very rarely eat beaf. Prion disease is one reason why. Prions are rugged, nasty li'l devils. Fortunately, prion infections are rare, even though it seems prions might be accumulating in the environment.

Well not to break the bad news, but, its also plant based and plant infected as well, if deer infect the soil the plant will become coated on the outside while another strain will make the plant a host then secrete spores but that version has not been known to infect mammals yet. infections have been rare in humans until now as chronic wasting disease only appeared 30yrs ago and went from one small area to every continent on earth.

But its a boring subject to to most. certainly i must be over reacting.

2 minutes ago, Shansi Kenin said:

Well not to break the bad news, but, its also plant based and plant infected as well, if deer infect the soil the plant will become coated on the outside while another strain will make the plant a host then secrete spores but that version has not been known to infect mammals yet. infections have been rare in humans until now as chronic wasting disease only appeared 30yrs ago and went from one small area to every continent on earth.

But its a boring subject to to most. certainly i must be over reacting.

Yeah, but it's quite a leap from giving up meat to giving up food.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shansi Kenin said:

Chronic Wasting Disease has been confirmed to have jumped from deer to birds in north America, in next several years as cats catch birds they will be infected, soon spreading to family dogs then humans. the disease has 100% fatality rate, it cannot be cured, it is not a virus or bacteria, it can survive 1000 degree fire, radiation and infected droppings in the soil can remain active for up to 20 years.

Demonic tardigrades!!! 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It was not meant as a put-down, Shansi.  It's a scary subject for sure...thanks for bringing it to our attention...even though another scary Way We Could All Die Horribly is the last thing any of us want to think about right now.

I never seen it as that, but you could add your intuitive opinions to the OP to further the discussion, certainly you have some real interesting ideas on how things in a post covid-19 world will pan out.

Edited by Shansi Kenin
Grammer

I can't tell if you guys are naive or optimistic.

Humans are stupid, greedy, stubborn animals. Once we have a vaccine, very little will change. 

Huge parts of america will never stop using cash. If taxes go up for "healthcare", it'll just come with huge cost inflations in order to line someone's pocket, same as it always has.

And don't get me started on the economy. If anything, those non essential, greedy types will just find new and interesting ways to make sure they stay rich while everyone else suffers through the next one just like they're doing with this one. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

No handshakes? No cash? No....   Seems weird.  My imagination goes in so many different ways that I am unable to truly articulate what I think the world will look like, but I am so sure it will be different than it was in January 2020.  An opinions?

At first, when we come out of lock down, there will be massive street parties, hysterical hugging, tons of road traffic accidents because everyone will be driving everywhere in one day.

There will be a baby boom, that will counteract the deaths from this current virus. 

A lot of us will live our lives on tenterhooks expecting another virus to come along to put us all back into lock down.

The habit of giving space on pavements (or not, as has been the case) will continue, and sales of contact dermatitis creams will rise from all the OCD hand washers we've become (I was already that). 

Neighbourhood dogs will continue to bark (this is actually the only sound I can hear in my neighbourhood right now, echoing across a silent world). 

Maybe not "no cash" but it will become increasingly useless, except for drug deals, prostitution, back-alley arms trading, etc. (Basically all the stuff Bitcoin would be used for if it were actually as "private" as early advocates pretended).

Here, the banks have relaxed tap&go limits from CDN$100 to 250, helping everybody keep their grubby, virus-laden paws off the keypads. That's not going back down.

Personal space will surely be larger than before; not the full six feet of social distancing, but... I mean, who will ever again be able to hide revulsion at the faintest breath of a nearby stranger?

Handshakes are gross but I agree they'll come back, at least after this first wave. Maybe not after the second. After the third, the ritual greeting gesture will involve mutual readings by touchless thermometers.

Maybe the touchless thermometer is destined to be the next smartphone sensor. And the killer app for Augmented Reality. If the corner of your glasses showed the temperature of the person you're looking at, wouldn't you peek?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

I think this is going to change a lot of things. More money spent on healthcare, better healthcare systems, future proofing the economies. Hopefully best of all will be manufacturing brought back to the respective countries instead of relying on one country to produce everything.

agree

i think what has been exposed by this crisis, is the fraility of just-in-time global supply chains when the points of manufacture are concentrated in fewer locations

• Like 1

nothing changes, once things return to 'normal' we go about doing what we do. We still bow down to almighty china and their cheap *****, we as usual don't learn any lessons, etc.. least ways in America. But money is money, so we will always turn to our united enemy, china, to give us the cheap stuff and solve our economic  woes and buy our debt

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Shansi Kenin said:

it cannot be cured, it is not a virus or bacteria, it can survive 1000 degree fire, radiation

I doubt everything has been tried on it though.  Depletion of America's soil of vitamins and minerals has been known for a long time.  This will take the "big brains" to figure out how to re-pleat the soil.  

As far as a post COVID-19 world, I think we will stay further apart than we did before as right now I don't want to hug anyone.  I think the no handshaking is a good idea.  

As far as no cash, how will you pay people who mow your lawn for example?  Yes, I had main monthly gardeners but there were times when needed help from the neighborhood handyman for 5 dollars here, 10 dollars there.  

As far as the rest...I think it will be more subdued for a while but I really don't know.  Some people want to go for the gusto and live even if it re-infects others with colds/flus.  I think we should take precautions during every cold and flu seasons but there are many who will not co-operate.  

Edited by FairreLilette

I HOPE that it'll finally convince this government to start funding the NHS properly, including paying nurses more (we have had a serious shortage of nurses for years and stomping off out of the EU isn't going to help). I HOPE that it will encourage communities to continue to come together more to support each other and local businesses. I HOPE it will make us a kinder society in general and more understanding of the fact that ill health and bad fortune can knock any one of us off our feet at any moment. I HOPE that it will give us appreciation for both the incredible things we can do with the internet and technology, and also the incredible things that can't be replicated by them.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 6

I think inflation will soar in 2021.  I think the EU will dramatically change, but I try to stay out of their politics.  I think it will become more difficult for some to lay waste to the US 2nd amendment - we are more armed now than ever before and that is a good thing.  Crime may drop in many areas.  I think the world supply chain will drastically change.  I think this is good for most productive nations - and will weaken China - ergo my inflation prediction.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the US, nothing will change long-term.  Even if the government starts funding some things better than they do, that will all slowly deteriorate as other things take priority and the memory of this pandemic fades.  As previously mentioned, right off the bat (no pun intended), there will be gatherings all over the place as people celebrate being able to get together again.  Hell, my stepson is getting married in July and I'm hoping & crossing my fingers that things are settled enough that the wedding can be held and we don't have to cancel all of our travel plans.

We will not become a totally cashless society for a long time still.  There are lots of folks that don't have bank accounts for various reasons.  While Wiki isn't always the greatest source for all stuff, it does provide some good info on why some folks don't have bank accounts - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unbanked.  While those without bank accounts can get prepaid benefit cards from the government, they still turn their paychecks into cash for paying bills and daily expenditures.  Before we can totally eliminate cash, we have to solve that issue.  Businesses could issue prepaid cards in lieu of an actual paycheck for those without direct deposit, but that is yet another expense for the business.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.