llWanderWithin example not working

Phoebe Hazelnut

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

llWanderWithin should work on bare land that's not too cluttered with obstacles. Bare Linden ground is walkable. You can set other stuff as walkable. Do you have the animesh demos that use pathfinding? Those were given out when animesh became available. They're full perm. Get hold of those and look at the scripts inside.

(Are those demos still available from some Linden location? They used to be in a big gift box at Animesh 1, but I think that sim is gone now that animesh is turned on everywhere on the grid.)

1 hour ago, Phoebe Hazelnut said:

Oh so that only walks on land or on prims market as walkable?

Yes. See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Pathfinding_Quick_Start_Guide

1 hour ago, Phoebe Hazelnut said:

I am trying to create just a wandering orb thingy.

Can that be used for flying objects at all?

No, SL pathfinding is strictly ground level. However, see http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Modular_Pathfinding_Kit for a proposed way to fake a wandering flyer.

A flying wanderer would be an interesting project, but you'll have to code your own control system. Craig Reynolds' classic "Boids" paper would be useful. Or you can just run your flyers on fixed routes using keyframe animation, which is the most common solution.

4 hours ago, Phoebe Hazelnut said:

Thank you for the information. Fake wandering flyer I can't use because it needs to work over any prim. I think keyframes is the best option here :)

If you don't have control of the ground, it's hard to use pathfinding. Very few places in SL are properly prepped for pathfinding by others. A rare exception is Hippotropolis, a Linden sim where Creator User Group meets. It's a showcase for advanced creator technology in SL. There are some peacocks wandering around, some birds, one of my NPCs, one of Lucia Nightfire's characters, and a Firestorm fire horse. Plus a big Linden pavilion showing off some of the better lighting and rendering tricks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2020 at 2:20 PM, animats said:

If you don't have control of the ground, it's hard to use pathfinding. Very few places in SL are properly prepped for pathfinding by others. A rare exception is Hippotropolis, a Linden sim where Creator User Group meets. It's a showcase for advanced creator technology in SL. There are some peacocks wandering around, some birds, one of my NPCs, one of Lucia Nightfire's characters, and a Firestorm fire horse. Plus a big Linden pavilion showing off some of the better lighting and rendering tricks.

Ahhh, so you're the one responsible for Cindi. I "met" her today and have been searching for info on her ever since. Can you tell me a little more about her? What is a NPC? Does she do anything besides run/walk and say hello?

6 minutes ago, Honey Crisp said:

Ahhh, so you're the one responsible for Cindi. I "met" her today and have been searching for info on her ever since. Can you tell me a little more about her? What is a NPC? Does she do anything besides run/walk and say hello?

A NPC is a Non Player Character. Common video game term. A character controlled by the software, not the user.

Cindi is one of my experimental NPCs. There are some at a few GTFO locations. Right now, yes, all they do is walk around and say hello. At this stage, the goal is to have them do that very well - not crash, not get stuck, go around avatars, deal with obstacles, get out of the way of vehicle traffic - what's needed to live in the SL world. They need to both survive and not be annoying.

Next stage will be to give them jobs. They run "behavior" scripts, controlled by a priority scheduler. The ones you've seen so far have three behaviors.

• Avoid, which avoids vehicle traffic.
  • Greet, which heads for any avatar not seen recently and says hello
  • Patrol, which goes from one preset point to another. The next point to visit is random, so they take lots of different paths.

Avoid can preempt Greet, which can preempt Patrol. If you're being greeted by one of these NPCs and a vehicle comes along, the Avoid behavior detects that, preempts Greet, and gets out of the way. After the traffic has passed, Avoid goes idle, Greet resumes, and things pick up from where they left off. That's how they can survive a busy GTFO hub without being in the way.

The behaviors don't know about each other, so new behaviors can be added without modifying existing ones. Future behaviors will probably include waiter/waitress, salesperson, quest/hint giver for roleplay, etc. They may play a part in newer versions of GTFO.

(Not doing sexbots or zombies - those have been overdone.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.