Can't select face on objects owned by others!?

Zeffie Brodie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This problem going on a while and I wondered if there's something known about it.  In Firestorm... if I'm editing an object owned by my alt, who shares build rights with me and vise versa, when I go to change a texture face individually it will not let me.  It pops out of the edit window entirely and I have to reselect the object.  There is never a point where it will let me texture just one face.  I can do the full object, but that is useless if I only need to change one side and don't personally own all the other textures. Does anyone know about this? 

3 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Zeffie Brodie said:

Does anyone know about this? 

I've never run cross that particular issue before but edit permission on others' items is and has always been a bit touch and go. Right now I have two full perm prims rezzed by one of my alts in front of my Rey alt. I can edit one of them just fine but not the other. I copy-drag the one I can't edit and suddenly both it and the new copy are editable. As far as I know, that's how editing permissions always have worked.

That may well be the answer to your problem too: Rez a new copy or maybe try to relog and see if you win the edit permission lottery on your second try,

However, if the idea is to apply a no transfer texture on object that isn't owned by the same person as it, I don't think that's suppsoed to be possible for obvious reasons.

That's very odd.  If you have mod perms on a shared object, I can't see a good reason why you should be prevented from retexturing a face.  I wonder if you can still change textures with a script, or whether it's a problem in the viewer's manual editor?  Try dropping this script into the link that has the face you want to texture in the object:

string strMyTexture = "put your own texture's UUID here";
integer fFace = 0;   //And put the face number of the face you want to texture here, in place of the zero.

{
    state_entry()
    {
          list temp = llGetLinkPrimitiveParams(LINK_THIS,fFace,[PRIM_TEXTURE]);
          temp = llListReplaceList(temp,[strMyTexture],0,0);
          llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LINK_THIS,fFace,[PRIM_TEXTURE] + temp);
          llRemoveInventory(llGetScriptName());
    }
}

As always, this is a quick script untested in world, but it's simple enough that it ought to work.  You might try it on a dummy object first to be sure.  If you have put your texture UUID and the face number into those two variables at the top of the script, it should simply apply your new texture without losing the scale and repeat parameters that are already on the face now, and the script should self-delete immediately.

If that doesn't work, then the problem isn't in your editor.  There's something odd with the object you are trying to texture (or, as ChinRey suggests, you are trying to apply a no trans texture to an object that you do not own maybe).

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos, of course

its basically any object no matter the scenario... but first noticed it when trying to make the ceiling in my shop be "full bright" as my alt... select face, then click the ceiling and poof kicked back out of the edit menu.  Same thing for a regular default prim on the ground.  Can only do the full object but never a "select face". Even if all permissions set to full etc etc

Edited by Zeffie Brodie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.