You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 4/10/2020 at 5:59 PM, LexxiXhan said:

She's just reminded me of the hawk/falcon/kite we saw and welcomed.

What parts of nature or animal connections have you all been paying attention to?

I’m going to start leaving some raw meat bits on one of the deck posts for a local hawk I hear, I’ve gotten a couple to come close and eat nearby this way before, they are so beautiful. The songbirds start at about 5:30am so I’ve been waking up to that most mornings, it makes my heart feel so light to hear them. 

• Thanks 3

We got 17 years out of our main hot water service. (we run 2 identical units). Electric. 250 litre, 4800 watt elements. Installed externally. (outside the house).
Best gf's also failed @ 17 years and hers was installed internally.
We found it quite surprising that indoor/outdoor installations didn't make any difference to life expectancy. 🙄 
But then we don't get snow or scarily freezing temperatures or anything like that  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

We found it quite surprising that indoor/outdoor installations didn't make any difference to life expectancy. 🙄 
But then we don't get snow or scarily freezing temperatures or anything like that  

Outside causes less problems when they do need changing and a little roof or enclosure (insulated if needs be) will help in hot or cold regions. 

• Like 1

We have an ancient outside toilet that we have half converted into an outside laundry.
Were hoping to double its size to enclose one of the HWS units and prolly move the second one about 6 metres/20 feet
to enclose the both of them and dry all the clothes indoors. Especially in winter.
I have started saving up to do it. Cant wait for it to be finished, whenever. 😊

(Old house, huge corner block, converted to large dual occupancy residence 20yrs ago).

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

No that's a bit too expensive to do that. The area is undercover though & off the main house carport which is really cool :).

Outside is better when the relief valve starts to leak..

it's good every couple of months to drain the tank to empty,then run some water through it to flush the sediment that can build up on the bottom..

that's the biggest thing that kills a water heater is sediment build up..A good sign is when your hot showers start to get shorter and shorter over the years.

In the house in town,we have one that is in a carport brick addition that is also a tool room for mowers and tools and things like that..

it's going to have to be replaced I'm sure,because the relief valve is dripping..

we'll try to drain it and flush it some to see and then replace the relief valve..if it leaks again,we know it's bad..

Now in the house we live in,we have an instant hot water system that doesn't use a tank.. once you go there you never go back.. you never run out of hot water and only have to flush it once a year..

But if the power goes out ,you are out of hot water.. hehehehe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You can put neutralizing anodes in a water heater tank that'll prevent a lot of the buildup that kills them before their time.  These anodes need to be checked and replaced every so often.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/plumbing/water-heater/extend-the-life-of-your-water-heater-by-replacing-the-anode-rod/

I call it,The stink rod..hehehe

Those stink real nasty..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.