Do you need avastar to make clothes for slink?

Junejewels

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have the slink dev kit and I made a shirt for slink hourglass, however when I uploaded the shirt into second life the shirt wasn't in the right place on my avatar's body. It was only visible from the back and was sideways. In blender the shirt was in the right position on the slink body. So I'm wondering why it was so messed up when I uploaded. I read somewhere that avastar is needed to make the clothes be fitted and rotated properly. That seems outrageous.

You do not need Avastar although most folks USE it :D.

You shirt needs to be RIGGED to the Slink body in this case. It isn't an attachment like a bracelet. So look up rigging and weight painting tutorials. Modeling the clothing is only a tiny part of the total process. 

• Like 1

The "Collada spec" is interpreted by different folks who implement it in different ways. You can use a SL dev kit to make and rig something to the SL skeleton but there's a whole raft of "gotchas" in the default blender collada exporter where it doesnt quite interpret the standard the same way as the SL  mesh importer does. (you found one of them, the orientation of the axes...) Gaia made sure the avastar exporter addresses as many of those as she's aware of and if anyone discovers one she hasn't then she fixes it pretty sharpish. In addition, there are tools in Avastar that make the workflow of creating anything rigged to the SL skeleton a lot less hassle, particularly if you have a dev kit for the body you're targeting.

A similar raft of gotcha scenarios are involved creating your bvh animations for SL in Blender without the help of an addon, and another thing you get with Avastar is exporting of animations to .anim format, which default Blender cannot do.

I wouldn't be without Avastar for even creating static mesh objects, just for the bulletproof exporter for a SL-compatible .dae. You CAN do all the same things in Blender without Avastar but your workflow will be such a mess that you'd have to be nuts to try and go that route unless you're an absolute Blender god(dess).

But it's your call whether it is worth it for you :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.