Make us Smile - COVID-19 Heartwarming Community Stories

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1410 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yesterday when my husband and I actually dug into that box of remodeling dust masks that we had in the garage (because we are now being requested to wear them in public) we found there were 2 bags of masks stuffed into the box. One of them contained N95 masks, so we promptly dropped that bag off across the street at my neighbor's house - she's a nurse.  The regular dusk masks are good enough for the two of us.

I did the same with the 30-odd N95s that were stashed in my shop, some went to the wife (a nurse) of the fella helping me remodel my bathroom (a project on indefinite hold), the other half to my new neighbors across the street (she's a nurse and a new mom). 

• Like 5

there is a interesting story here from the BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52215606

there is a uptick in job searches for work in rural areas. Particularly for fruit and vegetable picking jobs which is the seasonal job right now. Many growers are quite heartened by this as they often struggle to get enough workers to do picking, and in some years vegetables and fruit end up being left to rot because they can't be picked

whats interesting about this is that it is being in repeated in other countries. India is probably the most extreme example, people in their millions abandoning the cities virtually overnight, and are moving/trekking back to familial rural areas

whats is noticeable and interesting is that lots of young people are including themselves in this migration all over the world. For sure a lot is driven by personal fears and the more immediate promise of a job, which they can't get in the cities right now. But there is a realisation that when times get hard then they are the first expendables. And that a seasonal fruit picking job in the countryside might be better for them than a seasonal warehouse picking job in the city

I think that this realisation is starting to bite into people's conciousness as this crisis helps them to focus on what their lives have been up until now, and what the alternatives for the rest of their lives could be

the depopulation of the rural areas (urban drift) over the last decades has been a concern for resource planners. As the rural areas depopulated it made it really difficult to provide/justify funding of premises for things like schools, hospitals, policing, etc  to those fewer and fewer remaining

am not sure that every person who moves to a rural area will stick it out for the rest of their lives, but I think there will be a quite a few who do. And I think that rural drift, the reverse of urban drift, could be quite good in terms of a more balanced society overall

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

there is a interesting story here from the BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52215606

there is a uptick in job searches for work in rural areas. Particularly for fruit and vegetable picking jobs which is the seasonal job right now. Many growers are quite heartened by this as they often struggle to get enough workers to do picking, and in some years vegetables and fruit end up being left to rot because they can't be picked

whats interesting about this is that it is being in repeated in other countries. India is probably the most extreme example, people in their millions abandoning the cities virtually overnight, and are moving/trekking back to familial rural areas

whats is noticeable and interesting is that lots of young people are including themselves in this migration all over the world. For sure a lot is driven by personal fears and the more immediate promise of a job, which they can't get in the cities right now. But there is a realisation that when times get hard then they are the first expendables. And that a seasonal fruit picking job in the countryside might be better for them than a seasonal warehouse picking job in the city

I think that this realisation is starting to bite into people's conciousness as this crisis helps them to focus on what their lives have been up until now, and what the alternatives for the rest of their lives could be

the depopulation of the rural areas (urban drift) over the last decades has been a concern for resource planners. As the rural areas depopulated it made it really difficult to provide/justify funding of premises for things like schools, hospitals, policing, etc  to those fewer and fewer remaining

am not sure that every person who moves to a rural area will stick it out for the rest of their lives, but I think there will be a quite a few who do. And I think that rural drift, the reverse of urban drift, could be quite good in terms of a more balanced society overall

We don't need no stinkin city slickers.

51E68PBGVEL.jpg

Yes, it's a joke.

Tyler Perry bought groceries for all the senior-hour customers shopping at 44 Kroger locations in Atlanta (nearly 3000 customers), as well as 29 Winn Dixie supermarkets in New Orleans (?? customers).

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/491853-tyler-perry-picks-up-tab-for-senior-hour-shoppers-at-73-grocery

image.png.22d973f8aca637bf699368371a468ffb.png

• Like 1

This one could actually belong in the 'Make us Laugh' thread or here.  I decided that even though some of the costumes are quite comical, it is all done for the Community.

https://crafty.diply.com/125559/mailman-puts-on-a-different-costume-every-day-to-lift-his-commun?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=mnv&utm_content=mnv003564

image.png.608967506e51e2e62ba02590594dea2c.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

image.png.608967506e51e2e62ba02590594dea2c.png

The USPS is falling deeper into financial trouble due to COVID-19. I don't think many people understand the importance of the mail service in many communities. It's not just about delivering mail. They know the daily patterns of life on their routes and are often the first to spot something amiss. It's the same for school bus drivers, who keep their eyes and ears tuned to the welfare of the school children they shuttle (Thanks, @Ivanova Shostakovich!)

It's easy to forget those unsung heroes who watch over us.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

They know the daily patterns of life on their routes and are often the first to spot something amiss.

Except for those idiotic newer communities that have all of the mailboxes gathered together at a single location near the entrance to the subdivision -- I hate seeing those setups.

• Like 2

A 99-year-old army veteran set out to raise £1,000 for the NHS (the UK National Health Service) by completing 100 laps of his garden using his walker: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52290976

He has just been told that he has raised FIVE MILLION POUNDS: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-52296313/coronavirus-army-veteran-tom-moore-finds-out-he-s-raised-5m-for-nhs

• Like 9

22 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

A 99-year-old army veteran set out to raise £1,000 for the NHS (the UK National Health Service) by completing 100 laps of his garden using his walker: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52290976

He has just been told that he has raised FIVE MILLION POUNDS: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-52296313/coronavirus-army-veteran-tom-moore-finds-out-he-s-raised-5m-for-nhs

Update on this. He has just completed his 100th lap, and the total now stands at £13m.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Update on this. He has just completed his 100th lap, and the total now stands at £13m.

Theres a change.org petition to get him a Knighthood.  Also a request for everyone to clap for him on 30th April for his 100th birthday.  I think it just hit 14 million too.   What a man.  

Captain Tom Moore To Get A Knighthood

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1410 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.