Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

Germany is going into a hard lockdown again this monday. Schools, kindergartens and all non essential stores closed. No going out unless its essential (thank goodness I have a dog!) until at least Jan 10th.

So its either christmas shop till you drop till saturday or go empty handed if you can't buy things online.

• Sad 3
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

*****ing *****ed up mother *****ers are *****ing the whole *****ing *****ed up ****sucking *****head *****s. And then some.

Cutting in with a rando side comment because I haven’t kept up - I’m tired of all the conspiracy theories behind it, and all the Americans on my feeds (note: I am also an American) pointing fingers at

Welp y'all have been warned before about keeping this thread on topic but it continues to delve into Politics and other off topic subjects. So consider this thread closed. If something similar is star

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Germany is going into a hard lockdown again this monday. Schools, kindergartens and all non essential stores closed. No going out unless its essential (thank goodness I have a dog!) until at least Jan 10th.

So its either christmas shop till you drop till saturday or go empty handed if you can't buy things online.

Wow, that is a bit over 4 weeks. 

California went into full Stay At Home this past weekend, with quarantine recommendations for folks coming into the state (including residents returning home from out-of-state travel).  My stepson lives there and that might impact them being able to come visit at Christmas.

My area in Colorado (well, most of Colorado now), is back at what we call Level Red, which is just one tiny step better than full lockdown.  Restaurants can do outdoor dining only, but regular retail stores can still have folks inside at reduced capacity. Most other indoor things are either closed or limited to something like 10-25% of capacity.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Wow, that is a bit over 4 weeks. 

California went into full Stay At Home this past weekend, with quarantine recommendations for folks coming into the state (including residents returning home from out-of-state travel).  My stepson lives there and that might impact them being able to come visit at Christmas.

My area in Colorado (well, most of Colorado now), is back at what we call Level Red, which is just one tiny step better than full lockdown.  Restaurants can do outdoor dining only, but regular retail stores can still have folks inside at reduced capacity. Most other indoor things are either closed or limited to something like 10-25% of capacity.

It is truly a long time, but most of us think that jan 10th won't be the day they lift the lockdown. We have more cases than ever before and the second wave is not breaking at all.

I hope your step son can make it for christmas :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Confirmed - my stepson & his wife have cancelled coming home for Christmas.  With California going back to full Stay At Home mode, it is "suggested" that all folks coming into the state, including returning residents, quarantine for 14 days.  As expected, my stepson's employer changes that "suggested" to "must" - and he cannot afford to now work for 14 days.

*sigh*

• Sad 2

Disclaimer: I'm not a big fan of the FDA myself. I don't think they really serve to protect the population as much as they serve Big Pharm. That said, the are our safety check. So, this is exciting, the FDA Chief was told to clear Pfizer's COVID vaccine by end of day today or resign. This edict was given by the White House via the Chief of Staff.

sigh

I raise an eyebrow at the vaccines being rushed through. I do know how vaccines are made, at least in regards to veterinary medicine, and well... I have my doubt. I have doubts about the validating studies. I have doubts, that's all. I'm not panicking or declaring a big conspiracy, as I know others are and do.

But to have the WH tell the head of the FDA "approve or resign", the same WH that thought injecting bleach was a good idea, the WH that just doesn't have a clue (or want one) about science pushing something through makes me feel all warm and snuggly about not only the vaccine's efficacy but its safety.  The FDA was already told to put a rush on it, and yes, I do think some of that makes total sense, but I keep hearing Scotty saying, ""I cannot change the laws of physics" when told to put the proverbial peddle to the metal.

Unless my situation changes drastically, where I'm at a greater risk of catching the virus, I think I'll hold back on lining up for one. 

I have, however, already had my flu shot.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 4
38 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Unless my situation changes drastically, where I'm at a greater risk of catching the virus, I think I'll hold back on lining up for one. 

Same here. I think as long as you're taking precautions, not endangering others or going out partying, it might be worth waiting.

It does seem rushed through. I'm sure I saw a BBC interview with an American university earlier in the year where an expert said it takes 2-3 years to safely test and approve a vaccine? But I might be wrong. 

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Same here. I think as long as you're taking precautions, not endangering others or going out partying, it might be worth waiting.

It does seem rushed through. I'm sure I saw a BBC interview with an American university earlier in the year where an expert said it takes 2-3 years to safely test and approve a vaccine? But I might be wrong. 

Usually years, yes. And I am familiar with how they have been trying to create a vaccine for a type of feline coronavirus (there are tons of coronavirus, for many species). They have been at it for DECADES and to my knowledge they still don't have one (although I stopped following this many years ago, so there may be one now). ETA to make more sense...

I looked online after I wrote (brilliant, SR, brilliant) A feline coronavirus vaccine for FIP has been developed, with mixed results. But it did take decades to even get that.

There are some differences in types of coronaviruses and the types of immune responses needed. So it isn't the exact same vaccine for cats is what is needed for humans, or vice versa, but the process IS difficult!

But if I were in contact with others, at high risk? I probably would get it. Probably.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

Interesting use of a sign. I wonder how common this is. I've been to Athens OH. It isn't very big. I just checked, it is about 25K.

image.thumb.png.6340734e2eaab132be829aee0a6c3eef.png

It's also a college town.  Ohio University.  THE party school in the state.  Or is used to be the place to go for Halloween.

• Like 1

I'm going to get the vaccines asap - I know I will have to wait some, regardless of being high risk, since I'm young, and they want to priotise the elderly, then their caretakeers/medical professionals. 
I'd prefer to wait until complications can be scatched out almost completely, but I'm afraid with my mental health taking nosedive after nosedive, I cannot afford that. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Cassidy Starlight said:

I’m really annoyed!

COVID has everyone staying away from people, living on take-away food, dealing with the world mainly via the Internet and spending a lot of alone time.

I miss the days when being an Introvert made me special 🙂

I've had  just about the opposite lifestyle as all of that during this whole pandemic..hehehe

I'll get a nice little break of about 17 days off starting at the end of this week.. But other than that.. I envy the life of an introvert right now..

after that 17 days of being around my boys and my husband, I'll be climbing the walls and more than ready to get back at work.. hehehe

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

after that 17 days of being around my boys and my husband, I'll be climbing the walls and more than ready to get back at work

My husband and I have both worked from home quite a bit before Covid, but he is the social one and often went out for happy hour with the guys.  With Covid, we are both WFH all the time and he cannot do happy hour very often (not at all right now), so I am the one that is going stir crazy with him being around 24x7.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I am the one that is going stir crazy with him being around 24x7.

Yup. That's me. Only I'm the more social one of the two of us. Sometimes I just need time alone to relax, take care of myself, recharge and be ready to face the world. And him. If Covid doesn't kill me the stress will. 🤪

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

THE VACCINES ARE HERE YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Sad that so many POC distrust them, but I can't blame them given the horrid experiments by the medical establishment in years past, as well as current inequities and weirdnesses influencing their distrust.

As it stands, close to 3/4 of whites are open to them now...going up from 60 something percent not long ago.

• Confused 1
On 12/11/2020 at 2:25 PM, Seicher Rae said:

Disclaimer: I'm not a big fan of the FDA myself. I don't think they really serve to protect the population as much as they serve Big Pharm. That said, the are our safety check. So, this is exciting, the FDA Chief was told to clear Pfizer's COVID vaccine by end of day today or resign. This edict was given by the White House via the Chief of Staff.

sigh

I raise an eyebrow at the vaccines being rushed through. I do know how vaccines are made, at least in regards to veterinary medicine, and well... I have my doubt. I have doubts about the validating studies. I have doubts, that's all. I'm not panicking or declaring a big conspiracy, as I know others are and do.

But to have the WH tell the head of the FDA "approve or resign", the same WH that thought injecting bleach was a good idea, the WH that just doesn't have a clue (or want one) about science pushing something through makes me feel all warm and snuggly about not only the vaccine's efficacy but its safety.  The FDA was already told to put a rush on it, and yes, I do think some of that makes total sense, but I keep hearing Scotty saying, ""I cannot change the laws of physics" when told to put the proverbial peddle to the metal.

I have, however, already had my flu shot.

What is your source for that statement? I ask because the way the FDA is put together, the director of the FDA cannot approve a drug. The approval is in the domain of an advisory panel and then the FDA board. The FDA director has little or no authority in the approval process.

Are you aware that the CoVid vaccine is NOT a typical vaccine? Flu and other vaccines have used a part of the infecting agent to trigger the immune system to develop a defense. Which is why some people would get a mild case of whatever the vaccine was supposed to prevent. 

This new virus vaccine is a completely new way of preventing virus caused illness. If you are interested in what is going on in the treatment of viruses look up CytoDyn and their Leronlimab treatment for CoVid, Aids/HIV, certain virus triggered cancers, and other viral infections. The new CoVid vaccines are using similar processes to tackle CoVid. CytoDyn's explanation or their treatment tactic gives good insight into why CoVid has been so unpredictable as to what damage it does to different individuals.

Since this is a completely new way of treating an illness... how much testing is needed to KNOW it is safe and works? 

If you have a treatment for an illness, do you need a vaccine?

I find it interesting that in the USA Leronlimab cannot get approval from the FDA (more testing and more testing is being required of CytoDyn and the denial of an EUA for Leronlimab) while outside the US more countries are starting to use it. With big pharma having 8 members in the top 14 FDA leadership positions... are they aware Leronlimab is going to reduce or eliminate the need for CoVid vaccines? That would be billions big pharma would lose... would that influence those 8?

The same apparent financial bias eliminates hydroxychloroquine (Z-pak) as a treatment in the US while other countries are having success using it. And it is CHEAP. Not the typical US$5k per treatment big pharma charges.

Those taking vaccines should be aware that in the USA those making vaccines have no liability. Reference

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Thanks 2

I probably mentioned it in this very thread, but with the vaccines rolling out now, it may be worth retelling the story.

Back in 1976 there was a swine flu outbreak that at first seemed a serious threat, so the CDC pushed for vaccination of the entire US population. (Just in passing, Congress was forced to indemnify vaccine manufacturers because no carriers would insure them against liability -- just like now.)

The program, however, was terminated after only about a quarter of the population was vaccinated, because of scattered but growing reports of vaccine recipients getting Guillain-Barré syndrome.

Turns out that was very likely just confirmation bias: every incidence of Guillain-Barré -- and probably misdiagnoses, too -- were being attributed to the vaccine, with no causal link. I'm guessing this time the CDC will at least know better, but I'm not confident they'll be able to convince a public poisoned by social media hysteria.

Because you just know that within weeks there will be vaccine "side-effects" touted by secret anti-vaxxers, vaccine "skeptics", and random goop-licking dopes on social media.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
14 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

The same apparent financial bias eliminates hydroxychloroquine (Z-pak) as a treatment in the US while other countries are having success using it. And it is CHEAP. Not the typical US$5k per treatment big pharma charges.

International study after study after study with multiple  meta analysis on the studies has made it pretty clear that hydroxychloroquine at best has no impact, at worst slightly increases chance of death and does negatively interfere with other antiviral treatments such as remdesivir.

Actual treatments such as Regeneron's monoclonal antibody (cloning a single effective white blood cell to create sufficiently useful quantities), while super effective, does not scale. They can't make enough for everyone who needs. They will never be able to make enough. You wont be able to afford it anyway.

Don't be an anti-vaxer who thinks their conspiracy theories, facebook memes, google searches and armchair experts can compete with the medical industrial complex. 

Blind trust is required unless you're prepared to drop everything and put in a solid decade of academic study "to be sure". You exercise this blind trust every time you switch a computer on, poke your cell phone, sit in a modern car, get on a plane, eat.

To quote Arthur C Clarke "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". So you either trust the magic, or hold out for a personally sufficient amount statistical evidence and hope that in the interim you don't get the virus and die / give the virus to someone (you like) who dies.

On a side note, there is overwhelming statistical evidence that zombies are caused exclusively by sci-fi/horror writers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Blind trust is required unless you're prepared to drop everything and put in a solid decade of academic study "to be sure". You exercise this blind trust every time you switch a computer on, poke your cell phone, sit in a modern car, get on a plane, eat.

To quote Arthur C Clarke "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". So you either trust the magic, or hold out for a personally sufficient amount statistical evidence and hope that in the interim you don't get the virus and die / give the virus to someone (you like) who dies.

They want absolute proof, total black and white, for all people and all the time. Ain't gonna happen  :(

What to do about this?  It requires a mind that is okay with some uncertainty. I just hope to Goddess some major evolution of the mind takes place before humankind fades into the dust...