Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Earlier I posted an article about what to say to someone who is grieving. Honestly, this stuff should be taught in grade school! Death is inevitable and yet we are all so inept at dealing with how to deal with it. Not just death, but any kind of grieving, and we all have a lot of that these days, thanks to COVID.

Anyway. My friend's 2nd close relative is still hanging on, thank goodness, but not well. She has not been able to breathe on her own for many days, and only a combination of miracles will make for a recovery (let alone a full recovery).

Would y'all please wear your damned masks?

Meanwhile, in an email subscription I get, this is part of another way to talk to someone about their mourning, and honestly, I've never seen this before and it is so effing brilliantly "duh"... ymmv, of course.

Probably the most consoling words I have ever heard are these: “Tell me what your loved one was really like.” The dialogue between mourners and consolers during shiva is not designed to distract the bereaved but to encourage the mourner to speak of the deceased — of his or her quali­ties, hopes, even foibles — and, of course, not to criticize the dead who cannot respond. Far from recalling the anguish of the loss, it gives those who are bereaved the opportunity to recall memories and to express their grief aloud.

Psychologists assure us that mourners specifically want to speak of their loss. Eric Lindemann, in his classic paper “The Symptomatology and Management of Acute Grief,” writes, “There is no re­tardation of action and speech; quite to the contrary, there is a push of speech, especially when talking of the deceased.”

Both the mourners’ words and their tears should not be avoided or suppressed. For mourn­ers and for comforters, words truly make a difference. “Tell me what your loved one was really like” is a good beginning.

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Earlier I posted an article about what to say to someone who is grieving. Honestly, this stuff should be taught in grade school! Death is inevitable and yet we are all so inept at dealing with how to deal with it. Not just death, but any kind of grieving, and we all have a lot of that these days, thanks to COVID.

Anyway. My friend's 2nd close relative is still hanging on, thank goodness, but not well. She has not been able to breathe on her own for many days, and only a combination of miracles will make for a recovery (let alone a full recovery).

Would y'all please wear your damned masks?

Meanwhile, in an email subscription I get, this is part of another way to talk to someone about their mourning, and honestly, I've never seen this before and it is so effing brilliantly "duh"... ymmv, of course.

Probably the most consoling words I have ever heard are these: “Tell me what your loved one was really like.” The dialogue between mourners and consolers during shiva is not designed to distract the bereaved but to encourage the mourner to speak of the deceased — of his or her quali­ties, hopes, even foibles — and, of course, not to criticize the dead who cannot respond. Far from recalling the anguish of the loss, it gives those who are bereaved the opportunity to recall memories and to express their grief aloud.

Psychologists assure us that mourners specifically want to speak of their loss. Eric Lindemann, in his classic paper “The Symptomatology and Management of Acute Grief,” writes, “There is no re­tardation of action and speech; quite to the contrary, there is a push of speech, especially when talking of the deceased.”

Both the mourners’ words and their tears should not be avoided or suppressed. For mourn­ers and for comforters, words truly make a difference. “Tell me what your loved one was really like” is a good beginning.

I agree that teaching death is inevitable is probably a good idea but not many will do it because it's a very touchy subject for most.  You can't really teach someone how to grieve or what to say to someone who is grieving, because everyone handles it in their own different way. It's something that is learned over time in my opinion, by being in the situation. 

I, myself, do not like to be hovered over when grieving. I like space to process and I don't like people coming at me with their condolences or questions and things, it's just overwhelming. But I do realize that not everyone grieves like I do and i try to be mindful of that. 

As an aside, your text that you shared is dark blue and difficult to read if someone has dark mode on. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

I agree that teaching death is inevitable is probably a good idea but not many will do it because it's a very touchy subject for most.  You can't really teach someone how to grieve or what to say to someone who is grieving, because everyone handles it in their own different way. It's something that is learned over time in my opinion, by being in the situation. 

I, myself, do not like to be hovered over when grieving. I like space to process and I don't like people coming at me with their condolences or questions and things, it's just overwhelming. But I do realize that not everyone grieves like I do and i try to be mindful of that. 

As an aside, your text that you shared is dark blue and difficult to read if someone has dark mode on. 

Agree on what you said, but I do think teaching people some sincere ways to talk to people grieving is important (hence me posting articles). You absolutely cannot teach someone how to grieve, but we *could* teach people that however they grieve that it is OK. I know people who felt guilty because they couldn't do the stereotypical bucket of weeping. "What is wrong with me???" sigh

There are a LOT of ways NOT to talk to people grieving, and THOSE seem to be the ones most used.

There's no one-size-fits-all, but there are some that are close. I can imagine me saying "Tell me about your loved one..." and getting "I can't really talk about her now..." but I can also imagine some people just opening up.

Thanks for telling me the text is dark blue. Whaaaaa....? Should have been black (I'm on the white background.) I shall attempt to correct that.

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 2

As no deal now looms closer and closer on top of this unbelievable squitstorm of incompetence, and Boris goes with the "do what I want or I'll punch myself in the face and turn Kent into a massive latrine" school of negotiation, I just can't bear to think what this green and pleasant land will look like a year from now. I can't remember ever being so worried. If I had dual nationality I'd be seriously considering emigration. Half of my European friends returned to their home countries ages ago because of this. I miss them and it's very much our loss. 

Eff it all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Oh boy do I?

I'm frustrated and annoyed at how I and others like me are  Shielding, doing what we can, even as isolation slowly makes my mental health go further down the toilet.

Only for old  biddies to refuse to wear a  mask,  and then whine about "kids these days are making this whole thing worse."

BISH YOU'RE LITERALLY UNMASKED IN A  PLACE THAT  IT IS MANDATORY TO WEAR ONE, YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A MIDDLE DONKEY LET ALONE A HIGH HORSE. I hate that my  dad,  a Diabetic and there for high risk has to keep working at his security job at a hospital because of a *****ing clerical error. I hate how the people at the top care more about profit then the people sick and dying.

I hate that I gotta deal with this loneliness  because some morons can't even be bothered to do the bare minimum.

But yeah, sure  Jan, It's the kids that are the problem.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:

Only for old  biddies to refuse to wear a  mask,  and then whine about "kids these days are making this whole thing worse."

But yeah, sure  Jan, It's the kids that are the problem.

The city council in Boulder Colorado, had to put in special restrictions for ages 18-24, because they kept having huge gatherings without anyone wearing masks.  Based on various news articles, many other college areas across the US are having similar problems.

It is NOT just the "old biddies" refusing to wear masks and causing problems for everyone else.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

If you told me 10 years ago that I'll be attending a coworker's funeral via Zoom, I would ask "what the heck is Zoom"?  Then I'd smack you upside your head for suggesting society has devolved to the point of being so disconnected that people are holding funerals over teh intarwebz and go on to grumble like a curmudgeon about how it's bad enough we have millennial whippersnappers zoning out on their smartphones (what they're called, Android gingerbreads?).

Wear your damn masks, people. That goes for everyone of all ages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The city council in Boulder Colorado, had to put in special restrictions for ages 18-24, because they kept having huge gatherings without anyone wearing masks.  Based on various news articles, many other college areas across the US are having similar problems.

It is NOT just the "old biddies" refusing to wear masks and causing problems for everyone else.

Jewell, You sorta missed my point I'm  well aware of how it's not just older people.

My furstration was the lack of awareness in those older people who bemoan the younger generations, While outright making the situation worse for everyone by ignoring rules. About a pandemic that  could kill not just my father, but other family members.

• Like 1

I had to do some errands today, and because masks are required where I was, everyone was complying. I decided to pick up some alcohol because today seemed like a good day to drink. :/ Everyone in the store, which was moderately busy, was nice and also social distancing in the aisles. The checkout line was long enough that it went down an aisle and around the back of it. I was at the back of the aisle so at a 90 degree angle to the aisle line but there was no doubt I was in line, about 6 feet away from the guy in front of me. Some woman, who was wearing blue scrubs because a medical center is across the street and shifts had just let out, just cut in line in front of me and stood too close to both me and the guy in front of her. I said "Excuse me, ma'am?" loudly. She ignored me. I repeated it, adding "You just cut in line." She turned around and pointed, "You were standing way over there" pointing to where I was still standing. She turned back around. Several people behind me audibly gasped. I said, "Seriously?" and then "Really." She just stood there. Several people were loud-enough passive aggressive. "It is called social distancing." And "Isn't it nice that our health care workers understand social distancing so well?" I finally just shrugged and said loudly enough, "I guess she just needs her alcohol faster than I do." As I was checking out a store worker apologized for it. (Why then, didn't that person tell the woman to go to her place in line?)

There's always gotta be one...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Speaking of masks:

Washington (CNN) - President Donald Trump made a dramatic claim about Covid-19 in an interview, at a campaign rally and in his televised town hall on NBC Thursday night.

All three times, Trump suggested that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had found that 85% of people who wear masks catch the virus.
"CDC comes out with a statement that 85% of the people wearing masks catch it," Trump said on Fox Business in the morning.
"Then they come out with things today, did you see CDC -- that 85% of the people wearing the mask catch it?" he said at a rally in North Carolina in the afternoon.
Trump did not name the CDC as the source of the statistic at the town hall -- he attributed the claim to an unnamed "they" -- but the substance of his assertion was the same.

Facts First: Trump's claim is false. The CDC study, which was released in September, did not say that 85% of all people who wear masks get infected with the coronavirus. In fact, it did not even attempt to figure out what percentage of people who wear a mask get infected with the coronavirus.

In fact, it was a study of people who reported symptoms and were subsequently tested. The main result was that those who tested positive were much more likely to have dined at a restaurant, where it's impossible to effectively wear a mask while eating. Nonetheless, those who tested positive self-reported (after they knew their test results) nearly as much mask use as those who tested negative. The 85%? That was the share of the tested-positive group who claimed to use a mask "always" or "often", about the same as the 88.7% of those who tested negative.

Nearly half of Americans will vote to re-elect.

Canadians: You know we may need to defend that border, right? Winter is coming, there's no wall, and a lot of them are getting infected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Gatogateau said:

Pppppht. It'll just take a few boxes of Tim Bits wafted, and that line'll break.

You’ve forgotten our secret fifth column, working feverishly behind enemy lines to destroy your morale.

That’s right, you sad, doomed fools. Celine Dion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Speaking of masks:

In fact, it was a study of people who reported symptoms and were subsequently tested. The main result was that those who tested positive were much more likely to have dined at a restaurant, where it's impossible to effectively wear a mask while eating. Nonetheless, those who tested positive self-reported (after they knew their test results) nearly as much mask use as those who tested negative. The 85%? That was the share of the tested-positive group who claimed to use a mask "always" or "often", about the same as the 88.7% of those who tested negative.

Nearly half of Americans will vote to re-elect.

Canadians: You know we may need to defend that border, right? Winter is coming, there's no wall, and a lot of them are getting infected.

omg , this just came to mind hehehehe

• Like 2

On 10/16/2020 at 7:14 PM, Gatogateau said:

I had to do some errands today, and because masks are required where I was, everyone was complying. I decided to pick up some alcohol because today seemed like a good day to drink. :/ Everyone in the store, which was moderately busy, was nice and also social distancing in the aisles. The checkout line was long enough that it went down an aisle and around the back of it. I was at the back of the aisle so at a 90 degree angle to the aisle line but there was no doubt I was in line, about 6 feet away from the guy in front of me. Some woman, who was wearing blue scrubs because a medical center is across the street and shifts had just let out, just cut in line in front of me and stood too close to both me and the guy in front of her. I said "Excuse me, ma'am?" loudly. She ignored me. I repeated it, adding "You just cut in line." She turned around and pointed, "You were standing way over there" pointing to where I was still standing. She turned back around. Several people behind me audibly gasped. I said, "Seriously?" and then "Really." She just stood there. Several people were loud-enough passive aggressive. "It is called social distancing." And "Isn't it nice that our health care workers understand social distancing so well?" I finally just shrugged and said loudly enough, "I guess she just needs her alcohol faster than I do." As I was checking out a store worker apologized for it. (Why then, didn't that person tell the woman to go to her place in line?)

There's always gotta be one...

That is disgusting of her.  For a so-called medical professional, she should know better.  I would've taken a snapshot of her face and make her famous on social media. But that's just me.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You’ve forgotten our secret fifth column, working feverishly behind enemy lines to destroy your morale.

That’s right, you sad, doomed fools. Celine Dion.

And Justin Bieber. And Nickelback. Egads, have we not suffered enough?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.