Jump to content

Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, TDD123 said:
12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes. Duh.

But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind - and there really shouldn’t be in yours either - ....

History is replete with murderers, racists, etc. whom some celebrate as heroes. 

 

Do I fear those in charge ? Yes. Duh.

Do I fear you ? Yes.

Duh.

I'm not all too sure what you 2 are debating, but I want to point out that those with more power can do more harm. That's why we're more incensed when a leader abuses their position and hold them more responsible, or why we especially hate it and want severe punishment for a powerful adult abusing a helpless child.

Edited by Luna Bliss
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

*****ing *****ed up mother *****ers are *****ing the whole *****ing *****ed up ****sucking *****head *****s. And then some.

Cutting in with a rando side comment because I haven’t kept up - I’m tired of all the conspiracy theories behind it, and all the Americans on my feeds (note: I am also an American) pointing fingers at

You are out over your skis here Saucey. Babies with jaundice receive UV/Blue phototherapy because exposing blood to UV aids oxidation of the toxic bilirubin in it. A significant volume of blood reache

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

It's a lot easier to detect the virus on surfaces than in the air, which has little to do with how it spreads.

Since Covid is not smoke , I reckon it's effects do not spread as wide as, for instance, the smoke of a cigarette exhaled by a smoker.

Keeping your distance remains as vital as wearing a mask.

Link to post
Share on other sites

New measures being announced tomorrow. More local lockdowns. Alone on a small island in a pandemic with the Tories. No deal Brexit looming. 

Still better than Gor, I suppose. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

Since Covid is not smoke , I reckon it's effects do not spread as wide as, for instance, the smoke of a cigarette exhaled by a smoker.

Keeping your distance remains as vital as wearing a mask.

Hmm. I'm not so sure since both are particles and the lighter weight ones will travel further than the heavier (larger) ones. In truth it is possible for the air born virus particles to travel as far, if not further than, exhaled smoke particles. Then there is the wind to factor in if present. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Hmm. I'm not so sure since both are particles and the lighter weight ones will travel further than the heavier (larger) ones. In truth it is possible for the air born virus particles to travel as far, if not further than, exhaled smoke particles. Then there is the wind to factor in if present. 

So if it's lighter than smoke it's easier dispersed and lessened in volume by wind as well as ventillation.

Which is apparantly not the case.

ETA : smoke particles are dehydrated and more likely to cover the greater distance if accellerated by dry air.

Edited by TDD123
ETA
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think that depends upon whether one can prove knowing and purposeful negligence. And that probably would be difficult to actually prove in court.

It would be super difficult to prove a leader's state of mind and that they were deliberately lying. Such a leader would have to do something like state they knew the dangers of the disease early on and deliberately withheld that information from the public. It would take a real moron to do something that idiotic. Doubly so to let someone record them saying it.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes. Duh.

I think that depends upon whether one can prove knowing and purposeful negligence. And that probably would be difficult to actually prove in court.

But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind - and there really shouldn’t be in yours either - that there are many among those in charge, or trying to manage public discourse on this subject who have deliberately and consciously lied or mislead for political or personal reasons. That they probably can’t be convicted in court on this makes them no less culpable, or repugnant, on ethical grounds. 

History is replete with murderers, racists, etc. whom some celebrate as heroes. 

I first became aware of Donald Trump during the prosecution of the Central Park Five, when he took out a full page ad in the New York Times effectively demanding their execution. When they were eventually exonerated, rather than backing down, he doubled down, stating that his call for their death was still justified.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/06/19/what-trump-has-said-central-park-five/1501321001/

I agree that it would be difficult to prove anything about Trump's handling of Covid-19 that could convict him in court, but I do have some hope that an impending loss of power will allow the cowards who've enabled him to claim bravery when they turn on him. I can imagine there's evidence in his tax records that'll give him a voucher for public housing.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I first became aware of Donald Trump during the prosecution of the Central Park Five, when he took out a full page ad in the New York Times effectively demanding their execution. When they were eventually exonerated, rather than backing down, he doubled down, stating that his call for their death was still justified.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/06/19/what-trump-has-said-central-park-five/1501321001/

I agree that it would be difficult to prove anything about Trump's handling of Covid-19 that could convict him in court, but I do have some hope that an impending loss of power will allow the cowards who've enabled him to claim bravery when they turn on him. I can imagine there's evidence in his tax records that'll give him a voucher for public housing.

Of Trump's moral turpitude I have no doubts whatsoever. His vileness as a human being is in the public record.

Of his "criminality," more narrowly and legalistically defined, I have no idea. We have seen far too many instances of the "exoneration" in court of those who pretty clearly deserved incarceration for a variety of things, ranging from sexual assault and racially-charged extra-judicial murder, to high level financial fraud. And I don't know for a fact that whatever his financial records might show represent clear illegality, rather than a clever employment of the many, many loopholes available to would-be white collar criminals.

I am, more generally, reluctant to talk about what might or should happen to this man after his (hopeful) defeat in the election, because the appalling cries of "Lock her up" still ring in my ears. That was banana republic stuff, and was, and should still be, an enormous embarrassment to anyone who cares about the state of democracy in the US. But I know you agree with me on this.

As for Trump's erstwhile allies, I imagine that, unless his polling improves significantly over the next couple of weeks, we'll see their knives, already well-whetted and honed, coming out into the open.

It is to me both sad and ironic that, if he is defeated, the judgment of history will be that it was his mismanagement of the government response to the pandemic that was the cause of his downfall, rather than the staggering list of other horrors that he has inflicted upon the US and the rest of the world.

 

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

the staggering list of other horrors that he has inflicted upon the US and the rest of the world.

I know very little about the fraud at a global level Trump is connected to.  This article today from The Atlantic was eye-opening:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-s-very-ordinary-indifference-to-the-common-good/ar-BB19Tal8

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I know very little about the fraud at a global level Trump is connected to.  This article today from The Atlantic was eye-opening:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-s-very-ordinary-indifference-to-the-common-good/ar-BB19Tal8

The overall point of this article is an important one: this isn't just about Trump. It's about a systemic blindness to the abuses of wealth and corporate power that is worldwide, and that has only been strengthened by 50 years of neoliberalism.

Trump's a symptom, not the cause.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not intruding into the discussion. I just wish to say I will continue to wear my masks when I do leave my home which isn't often because I'm one of the at risk groups. Even while wearing a mask, I still socially distance. I do this for others and myself. 

I just hope everyone takes care of themselves, stay informed and stay safe because although I may not agree with what is said at times, I still respect all of you. I enjoy seeing your posts and having you all around. 

I know someone who passed on from Covid. I made myself listen to all the struggle they went through alone because that's the only respect I could give her since I couldn't even give her comfort. I could at least learn what she went through. It isn't something I would wish on anyone.

So I'm just going to say please be safe and take care of yourselves. These forums wouldn't be the same without each of you. Yep...I know this is an emotional outburst of sorts, but oh well. Just take care of yourselves and be safe! All of you please.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

/me gets out Domly hand-slapping stick (ie: ruler)

Please don't get this thread shut down for off-topic. (Generic politics)

The subject is broad enough to include politics, since the virus has become politicized and has been since its first appearance (which was before any of us knew about it thanks to it being politicized).

I'd like to think we could keep this place open for people who need to actually say something about COVID.

A person very close to me, in heart, but far away on the opposite coast, recently lost a close family member to COVID and is near to losing another. He feels helpless.

I feel helpless because there's less than nothing I can do from "here."

I'd like to keep a place open in the Forum where I can yell into the wind about it.

Thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

I'm not intruding into the discussion. I just wish to say I will continue to wear my masks when I do leave my home which isn't often because I'm one of the at risk groups. Even while wearing a mask, I still socially distance. I do this for others and myself. 

I just hope everyone takes care of themselves, stay informed and stay safe because although I may not agree with what is said at times, I still respect all of you. I enjoy seeing your posts and having you all around. 

I know someone who passed on from Covid. I made myself listen to all the struggle they went through alone because that's the only respect I could give her since I couldn't even give her comfort. I could at least learn what she went through. It isn't something I would wish on anyone.

So I'm just going to say please be safe and take care of yourselves. These forums wouldn't be the same without each of you. Yep...I know this is an emotional outburst of sorts, but oh well. Just take care of yourselves and be safe! All of you please.

Just wanted to say that you are not intruding into the discussion in this thread.

Your comments, and those like them, ARE the discussion in this thread.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2020 at 11:39 AM, TDD123 said:

So if it's lighter than smoke it's easier dispersed and lessened in volume by wind as well as ventillation.

Which is apparantly not the case.

ETA : smoke particles are dehydrated and more likely to cover the greater distance if accellerated by dry air.

That's not what I was trying to convey. Particles have weight and, depending on the weight, the heavier the particle the less it travels distance wise. If the wind is blowing those particles can travel even further. The weight of the particle determines how far it can travel. The larger a particle is, the less it will travel because the larger particles are heavier. That is all I'm saying as something to take into consideration.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2020 at 2:21 PM, TDD123 said:

Since Covid is not smoke , I reckon it's effects do not spread as wide as, for instance, the smoke of a cigarette exhaled by a smoker.

Virus containing particles tend to be encapsulated in water rather than oil (like smoke). These behave very differently. Your experiences with one do not translate to the other.

The behavior of atmospheric microscopic particles is an exceptionally complicated field of study, often reduced to broad statistical analysis, practical observation or computer simulation being borderline impossible.

Complex local conditions (of which you can't be aware) include a fair range of conditions in which viral particles may remain airborne and viable indefinitely.

The only mitigation is a broad approach to reducing infection potential to a statistically acceptable level. No single mitigation will be entirely successful. For example; Replacing air / being outside (the solution to pollution is dilution), filtration & face masks (vastly increasing probability of capturing surface collision), controlling humidity (to strip away protective water), causing damage to viral package via radiation (heat & light - not hard scary radiation, although in this context that's helpful too) or chemical interaction (detergents, like soap).

The only safe assumption is that intuitive guesswork based on macro scale life experiences will be entirely incorrect.

tl;dr: Wear a well fitting mask. Wash your hands. Wash/replace your mask. Keep distance. Meet outside (with a mask). Cycle air. Don't slack off.

Edited by CoffeeDujour
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 of us walked out of the main campus building this morning to inspect a tutors replacement vehicle after his original car was squished by a semi-trailer on his way to work late last term.
Upon assembling beside the car and as we were expressing delight as to the condition of it, we automatically widened our little circle to be spaced at approximately 1.5m between individuals.

This happened without prior discussion and I was very pleased indeed with my work colleagues, given that only I have worn a mask for most of the last 2 months. 😷
There's hope! 😏

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

5 of us walked out of the main campus building this morning to inspect a tutors replacement vehicle after his original car was squished by a semi-trailer on his way to work late last term.
Upon assembling beside the car and as we were expressing delight as to the condition of it, we automatically widened our little circle to be spaced at approximately 1.5m between individuals.

This happened without prior discussion and I was very pleased indeed with my work colleagues, given that only I have worn a mask for most of the last 2 months. 😷
There's hope! 😏

That's a hard post to react to, Maryanne. First "eek" about a car squished by a semi-trailer. Then "happy" that it was repaired. Then relieved that you all social distanced to (I did the math so others don't have to) five feet apart, just shy of our recommended six feet, but still... good, good. Then a facepalm and sadness that for the past 2 months you are the only one to have been wearing a mask (happy face that you are).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the email from school at 5 pm... your child has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive and must now isolate for 14 days.  Since half term is coming up, that means do not come back to school until 3rd November.   Through some detective work on my behalf I found out only 1 of his gang of friends has also been told to isolate and he only shares 1 class with that child, so the possible close contact with the mystery infected child or teacher must have been last Thursday.  That means this is day 5 and no symptoms showing.  

Also at the clown PM's briefing last night, we found out our local hospital currently has the highest amount of covid patients currently in the country and 3rd highest in Europe.  

Oh well, back to the school of mum for a few weeks.  

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Sad 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody have experience getting contacted through a smartphone-based exposure-tracking app? Canada has this "COVID Alert" app that I installed as soon as it was available in Ontario, but in my case I think it's more or less ornamental: I'd have to stay a while within range of somebody who is also using the app and who subsequently contracts COVID and tells their app about it.

Even if everyone always carried a phone with the app enabled, I don't think I spend more than 15 minutes within 2 meters of anybody other than my partner. I guess the app isn't really intended for me, so I'm wondering whether anybody else sees benefit from these apps.

(I'm not worried about privacy of these apps. I know how they work and any such concern would involve belt-and-suspenders tinfoil millinery. I'm just dubious that they can make much difference, even if ubiquitously adopted.) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a Govt approved app here @Qie Niangaoand its functionality/success depends upon how many are using it of course.
I don't have it as I only move in strictly limited circles and always wear a mask if out of my comfort zone or notice anything "suspicious". 

As of covid-19 my casual day job now requires one to have a mobile phone, where that never used to be the case.
I have seen my day job progress from hand written notes, through photocopied handwritten notes, now to personalised custom documentation specifically to suit each student, using Orifice 365 online and locally installed 2016, 1 mobile phone, 1 tablet and one campus PC. (my home workstation too because I like to work from home where I can).

You are asking far too much for a casual position Dept of Education. Our days together are numbered, I'm telling you! 🙄
 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...