Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1158 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

27 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:
14 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I do want to control people who are killing others by not wearing masks, no doubt about it.

I'm done with being non-confrontational and nice about this issue. It seldom works, if at all. Unfortunately, with some people the only solution is to point out their stupid reasoning. Where's @Klytyna ?

7uYVbVB.jpg

The "Karen Meme" is used to insult women who are perceived as overly-controlling and angry and attempting to control trivial aspects of reality. Are you saying unnecessary death is trivial and that society shouldn't take any remedial action to control or minimize it?

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Are you saying unnecessary death is trivial and that society shouldn't take any remedial action to control or minimize it?

No, but, IMHO,  condemning non-mask wearing people to instant killers, does sound a little harsh and overstated to me.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The "Karen Meme" is used to insult women who are perceived as overly-controlling and angry and attempting to control trivial aspects of reality. Are you saying unnecessary death is trivial and that society shouldn't take any remedial action to control or minimize it?

The meme speaks for itself and the last part of your statement is extremism, which is not surprising.  Keep on keepin' on, Karen. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

No, but, IMHO,  condemning non-mask wearing people to instant killers, does sound a little harsh and overstated to me.

I'm not so sure. Not every incident of going without a mask leads to death, true, but when it does it's not merely negligent homicide anymore  -- it's premeditated. At this point, everybody knows it kills. The ones who deny mask-wearing is completely justified by the data are simply trolling "to pwn the libs" or whatever their miserable death cult calls it as it fades into history's dustbin.

• Like 2

@Qie Niangao : afaik public awareness of the combination of precautions taken like measured distance, constrained coughing and avoiding contained ill ventilated public spaces, will likely be more effective than solely the use of obligatory worn masks only.

Isn't it too ironic a lot of debate was held only a few years ago about NOT restricting someones mouth by covering it ?

28 minutes ago, TDD123 said:
33 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Are you saying unnecessary death is trivial and that society shouldn't take any remedial action to control or minimize it?

It is now accepted science -- mask-wearing reduces the spread of Covid. Of course no one individual can ever know with certainty if they were responsible for another's death via not wearing a mask, but there can be no question that SOME of those not wearing a mask and thereby spreading Covid will have caused deaths.

Someone who is willing to risk being a killer is the same as being one.

17 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:
34 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The meme speaks for itself and the last part of your statement is extremism, which is not surprising.  Keep on keepin' on, Karen. 

Gage, given your frequent alt-right arguments on so many matters, I can only assume you are one of those rebelling against wearing a mask? If you've been following along in this thread, attempting to point fingers at anyone on the left who might not be wearing a mask as an excuse for not wearing one isn't flying so well. Now we see another excuse from you -- trying to deflect responsibility by accusing me of being too extreme by pointing out the fact that not wearing a mask causes Covid spread and subsequent deaths. Time for you to just accept responsibility for your actions and wear a mask.

Like I said to TDD, someone who is willing to risk being a killer is the same as being one.

BTW, you need to do a little reading -- the Karen Meme is a misogynistic slur.

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Not the devil's advocate here, BUT ...

.. are you calling your very own current president a killer now ? Honestly ?

Edited by TDD123
speeling

12 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

afaik public awareness of the combination of precautions taken like measured distance, constrained coughing and avoiding contained ill ventilated public spaces, will likely be more effective than solely the use of obligatory worn masks only.

Never leaving my house will also likely minimize getting Covid, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't wear a mask when I leave the house.

What, exactly, is your argument?

49 minutes ago, TDD123 said:
54 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Indeed, he is a killer. And in far more ways than spreading Covid by not wearing a mask.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I cannot get my head around the fact how you can so easily declare another human being a killer like that.

Edited by TDD123
declare, not accuse

1 minute ago, TDD123 said:
2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I cannot get my head around the fact how you can so easily accuse another human being a killer like that.

Well if you do something that you know could kill people yet choose to do it for no valid reason....what exactly would you be?

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well if you do something that you know could kill people yet choose to do it for no valid reason....what exactly would you be?

Again .. not my point. I would simply not immediately convict another merely by their conduct for the sake of awareness.

Edited by TDD123
addition

@Luna Bliss : My current job is checking cargo of trucks. The drivers have to report in a contained room and are obliged to wear masks inside. I need to police that ( part of my task ). I'm also obliged to wear a mask inside myelf.

This is true.

Think I can get away with shouting all day telling about 80 drivers : "WEAR YOUR MASK, KILLER !!!11!!'

Edited by TDD123

3 minutes ago, TDD123 said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Again .. not my point. I would not convict another merely by their conduct for the sake of awareness.

Imagine someone running around the city with a gun, firing randomly, knowing some shots might hit a building while other shots could very well kill a person.

What would you call them?

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Imagine someone running around the city with a gun, firing randomly, knowing some shots might hit a building while other shots could very well kill a person.

What would you call them?

Probably an Imperial Soldier.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Gage, given your frequent alt-right arguments on so many matters, I can only assume you are one of those rebelling against wearing a mask? If you've been following along in this thread, attempting to point fingers at anyone on the left who might not be wearing a mask as an excuse for not wearing one isn't flying so well. Now we see another excuse from you -- trying to deflect responsibility by accusing me of being too extreme by pointing out the fact that not wearing a mask causes Covid spread and subsequent deaths. Time for you to just accept responsibility for your actions and wear a mask.

Like I said to TDD, someone who is willing to risk being a killer is the same as being one.

BTW, you need to do a little reading -- the Karen Meme is a misogynistic slur.

I've been wearing a mask since May, everywhere I go in public. My point is that you cannot control what others do, only yourself.  I see people everyday not wearing masks but in reality what are you going to do? It is worrisome yes, but I cannot control people and neither can you. You can only control what you do and for me I wear the mask. 

You need to label people don't you? I see that pattern with you and it's a you problem not a me problem.  Also the Karen meme is funny, I don't care what anyone says....If the shoe fits? 😄

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

Think I can get away with shouting all day telling about 80 drivers : "WEAR YOUR MASK, KILLER !!!11!!'

Well this is a forum -- communication on a forum or in articles often is different than personal conversations. And I think many don't realize the possible ramifications of their actions, and so best to state it clearly, strongly. Humans are notorious for not taking responsibility.

If my partner was leaving the house without their mask I'd probably say something like "you better put your mask on...you know you could be responsible for spreading Covid and killing someone if you don't, or you might catch it yourself".

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

You don’t think Trump’s policies have led to the deaths of thousands? And that in many cases, these were informed choices, made in a conscious and probably cynical act of political calculus? Really?

I'm not being partisan here, btw. Obama also has much blood on his hands. (Hello, cloud of drone missiles!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well this is a forum -- communication on a forum or in articles often is different than personal conversations. And I think many don't realize the possible ramifications of their actions, and so best to state it clearly, strongly. Humans are notorious for not taking responsibility.

If my partner was leaving the house without their mask I'd probably say something like "you better put your mask on...you know you could be responsible for spreading Covid and killing someone if you don't, or you might catch it yourself".

OK.

Point(s) taken.

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You don’t think Trump’s policies have led to the deaths of thousands? And that in many cases, these were informed choices, made in a conscious and probably cynical act of political calculus? Really?

I'm not being partisan here, btw. Obama also has much blood on his hands. (Hello, cloud of drone missiles!)

One might as well point your accusation to other politically responsible in any government worldwide since covid is a global problem and was not confronted good enough and contained anywhere.

To actually have courtcases against those for death by neglect seems very unlikely to me.

10 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

I've been wearing a mask since May, everywhere I go in public. My point is that you cannot control what others do, only yourself.  I see people everyday not wearing masks but in reality what are you going to do? It is worrisome yes, but I cannot control people and neither can you. You can only control what you do and for me I wear the mask. 

You need to label people don't you? I see that pattern with you and it's a you problem not a me problem.  Also the Karen meme is funny, I don't care what anyone says....If the shoe fits? 😄

There's nothing wrong with trying to control others through our words -- making an attempt to influence others to make wise decisions. And we all do this every time we speak here.

Ultimately we can't control others as they make the final decision, that is true, but fighting the good fight is a worthy goal.  The good fight is to fight for what is good for all in hopes of making a decent world for everyone to live in....as much as possible because it's difficult -- our ego tends to get in the way all too easily..

Interesting that you accuse me of labeling others while calling me a misogynistic name -- a 'Karen'.

14 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

20 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Expand  

One might as well point your accusation to other politically responsible in any government worldwide since covid is a global problem and was not confronted good enough and contained anywhere

Yes. Duh.

15 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

To actually have courtcases against those for death by neglect seems very unlikely to me.

I think that depends upon whether one can prove knowing and purposeful negligence. And that probably would be difficult to actually prove in court.

But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind - and there really shouldn’t be in yours either - that there are many among those in charge, or trying to manage public discourse on this subject who have deliberately and consciously lied or mislead for political or personal reasons. That they probably can’t be convicted in court on this makes them no less culpable, or repugnant, on ethical grounds. 

History is replete with murderers, racists, etc. whom some celebrate as heroes. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes. Duh.

But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind - and there really shouldn’t be in yours either - ....

History is replete with murderers, racists, etc. whom some celebrate as heroes. 

Do I fear those in charge ? Yes. Duh.

Do I fear you ? Yes.

Duh.

Edited by TDD123
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TDD123 said:

Isn't it too ironic a lot of debate was held only a few years ago about NOT restricting someones mouth by covering it ?

Not sure to what you're referring. When I think of "mouth covering" I'm reminded of some extremely Islamophobic rhetoric here in Canada, some of which even contributed to a shameful law in Quebec. I'm guessing you're referring to something else, though, but I don't know what.

A more germane embarrassment about face covering: for a few weeks very early in the pandemic, there was some misguided public health advice questioning whether masks could be counterproductive by causing more face touching. That was purely anecdotal, with no real data behind it at all, although at the time there was the idea that surface contamination spread the virus more readily than air (this for a known respiratory virus!). I suspect this all had the same origin as looking for lost keys under a streetlight: It's a lot easier to detect the virus on surfaces than in the air, which has little to do with how it spreads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1158 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.