Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

52 minutes ago, Dhyaanee said:

economic problems from lockdown, well the government could have actually supported the economy for awhile, even enabling those businesses they love to stay afloat so they can easily rehire when it's safer to open up (they are doing this in some other countries). Then there would not have been as much lockdown trauma they are so "concerned" with. Of course they didn't/don't want to present this option -- it goes against their conservative principles of every man for himself and and little to none interference by government.
So basically the ship has pretty much sailed -- many of the businesses are already failed that could have been saved had our leaders done what many other countries have done -- kept them afloat until they could hire again.

I pretty much agree with this on the surface of things.  I will get to that in a minute.

But, I also wanted to say in regards to California and all it's immigrants.  I often say I live in the United Nations because that is frankly what it is in a way...it's a community of all nations.   

Many of those immigrants came here because they had a dream with something unique they wanted to offer through a little business of their own.  It meant everything to them.  Our little businesses here from all over the world were flourishing here pre-Covid-19.  Nothing wrong with having a dream and a place to live it out.  It was without a doubt absolutely flourishing here.  One of my sisters and I tried to go out for a day trip in the Fall of last year and we spent most of the day looking for parking spots.  I've never seen our community flourishing so well -  all pre-Covid-19.  Just absolutely no place to park.  That never happens except maybe at Christmas time but there are other places to go to find a parking spot.  And, we have tons of parking places in So. Cal, just tons.  

However, what the government proposed to small businesses was a kind of a loan without interest, I think.  How can those businesses take on a loan when they don't have any business let alone know what the heck is going on really?  

So, there are loans but with no business, many were afraid to take the loans.  I would be too.  

However, in another county where my sister resides (outside of L.A. county), in a "beach town" kind of county, businesses started re-opening by taking their businesses outside and selling their wares outside and the restaurants put their seating outside.  I thought it very innovative.  Her beach town community is opening up fairly well but mine is just beginning to try.   So, many businesses did make it through.  My sister's beach town is doing great.  The problem of coronavirus and/or contracting it...horrid!  

According to the media, Sweden with no lockdown has only built up just under an 8% herd immunity.  We need to get to 70-80% before we have herd immunity.  So no lockdown isn't working too well either.  

But, honestly...we all do need to get out into the sun and exercise.  Humans were not meant to live in a closet.  It is making us sick.  Sun is vital as is exercise for the best optimum healthy body.  

So, maybe the best thing to do is figure out a kind of compromise so we don't compromise our health.  It's all very shaky ground getting there though.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

What the? We aren't restricted from going outside. 😲That is not what stay at home means. It means don't leave home unnecessarily. You can be outside in the fresh air and sunshine. You can take a walk and do other thigs outside. Just don't leave home unless you have to.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

What the? We aren't restricted from going outside. 😲That is not what stay at home means. It means don't leave home unnecessarily. You can be outside in the fresh air and sunshine. You can take a walk and do other thigs outside. Just don't leave home unless you have to.

Exactly. The authorities have made a point of saying it's OK to be outside all along, and that it's fine to ride bikes, jog, take a walk, etc. Just use common sense and social distancing (i.e., no crowds packed together like sardines). No one has said lock your doors and never leave the house at all. 

• Like 6

If we were restricted from going outside, I would have been breaking the law every day and night since the shutdown started..

I've been horseback riding  like it's going out of style every chance I get, rain or shine.. Although it's pouring right now ,so I'm not gonna do it today because I worked all night and am too tired to get soaked.. hehehe

I will say,I don't envy people living in the cities in times like this.. it has to be so much harder and more scary too..

I used to live in the city when I was little and been back and forth all the time before all of these troubles..

Being in a rural area,it is much smoother and much less scary,even though it still is very scary..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mollymews said:
23 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

You make it sound like there is something wrong with a competitive capitalist market creating both winners and losers

not quite

it isn't that competition (of any kind) produces winners and losers. It does

the question is: how can we harness competition to deliver for the widest number of people ? In the merchantilist view we don't. There can be only one. Sovereignties for example are the most merchantile of systems. There is only one. The sovereign. Everybody else can only win when the sovereign lets them

Why is that?  Do you think they're stuck in the past and so can only see one solution to maintain/increase profits (an underclass of slaves earning subsistence wages)?  Or do you think they're basically attached to exploitation and maintaining the stratification of patriarchy where one class must dominate another in order for the world to feel right to them?  As if the world would cease to have any meaning if there was not the rise to the top of something, and the "endless growth" belief that accompanies this philosophy?

44 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

However, what the government proposed to small businesses was a kind of a loan without interest, I think.  How can those businesses take on a loan when they don't have any business let alone know what the heck is going on really?  

So, there are loans but with no business, many were afraid to take the loans.  I would be too.

Yes it would be dangerous to take out a loan when we don't know what the fallout will be after Covid.

It the government had simply continued to pay the business as if they were open then after lockdown payments to employees from said business could have resumed with ease (that is if customers don't feel perpetually fearful of public spaces for years to come and cause everything to crash no matter what businesses do).

Edited by Dhyaanee
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I know.  I know but not where I am.  It's different...just different.  It needs to change here.  It has been far too strict here.  Just way to strict.  I know this is the general thing happening that we are allowed to be outside and walk our dog and go to the store but some places it has been too strict so it's not unilateral.  

Something does need to change for those where it has been far, far too strict.  

The Governor of the state of California was the first to issue a lockdown.  He has been too strict with certain areas.  I've explained my situation that I live in a building with 110 people so it's different than living in a private dwelling.  I have to get permission every time I want to leave.  I want to just come and go as I please too.  I just want to walk around outside.  We have a back garden.  That is mostly where I am allowed without being hassled but she offers no comfortable seating for our outside garden.  I have been to the store twice but mostly I order online so as not to face the being yelled at.   My landlady makes me feel like if I get it, I am responsible for 110 people who live here.  It's a lot of guilt been put on me and makes me afraid.  I don't want to be responsible for 110 people getting sick.  All of us have been yelled at here in this building constantly period. 

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Fairre lives in a building where the manager has decided that the Stay at Home order means a true lockdown.  The manager has stated that if anyone leaves without permission, they cannot return -- even though that is illegal.  Back in the beginning of this, the Manager actually locked the door to the building, but now still has super strict rules regarding coming & going.  Many are afraid to push the legal aspect of them basically being evicted if they go against the Manager - possibly because it might mean that after all of this is over and building managers can again evict people, the ones that went against the Manager's orders would get evicted.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

They wanted to make that better money rather than keep their job I guess..

The bad thing is,refusing work  will more than likely give them problems with their unemployment now.

Yep, unless a state puts in some sort of modified rule, refusing to go back to work is no different than voluntarily quitting, which means no unemployment or severely penalized unemployment amounts.

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Fairre lives in a building where the manager has decided that the Stay at Home order means a true lockdown.  The manager has stated that if anyone leaves without permission, they cannot return -- even though that is illegal.  Back in the beginning of this, the Manager actually locked the door to the building, but now still has super strict rules regarding coming & going.  Many are afraid to push the legal aspect of them basically being evicted if they go against the Manager - possibly because it might mean that after all of this is over and building managers can again evict people, the ones that went against the Manager's orders would get evicted.

I know. She and the rest of the tenants won't stand up for their rights. Evictions would get thrown out of court.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, this is true.  When the Governor issued the lockdown, his being the first State and her being from Russia, she thought it meant to actually lock the doors which she did for four days.  Later, as time passed and we knew our rights from the TV and internet, she said "If you go out that door, don't expect to be let back in."  We talked as residents but decided we didn't want to press it at this time because otherwise we like/love living here and it's home to many.  She has let me out twice but it was like nearly having my head torn off...if you don't know Russian people, you do now.  0.o  They don't talk, they explode.  She is not an easy person to deal with.  I haven't wanted to press things.  I am alright and taken care of...I just want to walk around the streets in front in the sunshine.  I am not a reckless person and have masks now and hand sanitizer for on the go needs.  But she still is crazed re: coronavirus and that we (the building) do not get it nor bring it here.  None of us want to get it nor bring it here.  

Edited by FairreLilette

2 hours ago, Dhyaanee said:

well the government could have actually supported the economy for awhile

Either "we the people" would have been supporting the economy, via increased taxes, or our national debt would have climbed even higher, meaning our children for many generations would have been paying.  Nothing the government does is free and eventually it all impacts the people financially.  Our US national debt is now over 25 TRILLION.  The large relief package that Congress passed was 3 Trillion of that --- TRILLION, i.e. a number with TWELVE zeros (1,000,000,000,000).  How many more Trillion would it have taken to pay for everything for multiple months?

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yep, unless a state puts in some sort of modified rule, refusing to go back to work is no different than voluntarily quitting, which means no unemployment or severely penalized unemployment amounts.

Ours has 5 questions that you have to answer each week when you re-certify your claim..

there is one that asks, Were offered work and refused to work..

That question comes right after this one. Were you able to work and available to work

Those two are the ones that are going to sting them hard..

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
2 hours ago, Dhyaanee said:

well the government could have actually supported the economy for awhile

Either "we the people" would have been supporting the economy, via increased taxes, or our national debt would have climbed even higher, meaning our children for many generations would have been paying.  Nothing the government does is free and eventually it all impacts the people financially.  Our US national debt is now over 25 TRILLION.  The large relief package that Congress passed was 3 Trillion of that --- TRILLION, i.e. a number with TWELVE zeros (1,000,000,000,000).  How many more Trillion would it have taken to pay for everything for multiple months?

Yet some other countries are managing to do this - paying businesses to keep afloat until it's safe for business to resume. Otherwise the business must close in many cases, the business owner and all their employees never to return. What will the economic fallout of that be?  I can tell you now it's not pretty, and will cost more over the long term than simply paying them to keep afloat for awhile.

So now, in the US, we have a huge unemployment problem, and I probably don't have to tell you what the likes of a Great Depression would bring to our world.

Sometimes giving to those in need actually improves society in the end, even economically.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Nothing the government does is free and eventually it all impacts the people financially.

It doesn't seem to affect the wealthy as much though, especially these days.  Funny, that.

51 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I know. She and the rest of the tenants won't stand up for their rights. Evictions would get thrown out of court.

We know in a way but you don't know my landlady.   I wouldn't want to go to court with her with the way she belittles and intimidates and yells.  Plus my friends and neighbors hanging their head and saying "This has been my home for 15 years".  Many don't want to mess with that; this has been our home.  So I've agreed to stay with my residents on this because I didn't want to mess with their home.  She threatened just a few days ago, if you go out now, you are going into quarantine, and then she changed her mind as long as it wasn't with anyone outside of this building such as family member or friend who lives somewhere else.  If we go alone, we can go but she is not even unilateral on that as to who can go and who can't?????????  :/   She is Classic and I mean Classic KGB in her personality and way of speaking.  It has been like being a prisoner of the KGB in how she acts and speaks.  It is very difficult to deal with her and I cannot always understand her 100% of the time.   I used to like living here and this was indeed my home.  I don't like living here anymore quite honestly.  I think all I will have now is bad memories, mostly of her.  I do visit regularly in the back garden with others who live here.  It's been Spring, we want to be outside.  So, we talk and laugh a bit but mostly we are just confused about her and all the guilt she puts on us.   She changes what she says a lot and confuses us a lot.  I thought I'd live here quite a few years but I think I just may move "after this".  I am not really sure though.  Without her interference, it's a good place to live.  I used to just pay rent to her and that was it.  

35 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

We know in a way but you don't know my landlady. 

What neighborhood do you live in? 

I have offered to make an anonymous call to the police on your behalf. And, yes, I do know what Russians are like. The way you are allowing this to happens is shameful and scary. Suppose the Governor and the Mayor go on TV tomorrow and say, "Hey, lockdown is over. Everyone can go about their normal business now," and she is still acting like a crazed banshee and refusing to let you out? 

Unless there is far more to the story than you are telling us, what she is doing is kidnapping. What she is doing is violating every fire code in the city of Los Angeles by keeping the doors locked without the residents being able to open them. 

Her behavior is criminal. She could end up killing you all, and you're going to sit there and let her.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

What neighborhood do you live in? 

I have offered to make an anonymous call to the police on your behalf. And, yes, I do know what Russians are like. The way you are allowing this to happens is shameful and scary. Suppose the Governor and the Mayor go on TV tomorrow and say, "Hey, lockdown is over. Everyone can go about their normal business now," and she is still acting like a crazed banshee and refusing to let you out? 

Unless there is far more to the story than you are telling us, what she is doing is kidnapping. What she is doing is violating every fire code in the city of Los Angeles by keeping the doors locked without the residents being able to open them. 

Her behavior is criminal. She could end up killing you all, and you're going to sit there and let her.

I live in what is called "The Valley" but it is actually short for the San Fernando Valley.  I live in the South-East part; the part closest to Los Angeles via the freeways.  I don't want to give out the exact place on the internet.

I did want to explain that the doors are locked from *the outside*  We could go out but once we are out, the doors are locked to those wanting to come back in here...so then the problem begins there.  Calling the Police, of course or going into her "quarantine" even when I just tested negative for the coronavirus is not something I want to do.    I do not want to be locked in my apartment for ten days when I don't have coronavirus.   And, that's what she made up "ten days".   Things are improving a little Beth.  She has agreed to me to let me go outside to and from the stores I would like to go as long as I don't go with anyone who doesn't live in this specific area.  I may only go with residents here or myself.  I'm going soon.  But, I can't take this yelling.  She needs to have a meeting with the residents here about how we can begin to go to and from this building without having our head nearly torn off and horrible yelling so that the yelling ceases.  I think she has serious Mama Bear syndrome.  I know she loves her daughter.  I met her daughter.  She is cool.  Things may be finally ready to turn here but she needs to call a meeting so we all have the story clear here and can go in calmness.  

Thanks for caring.  

And, I also just wanted to add.  If I took my landlady to court our ties are severed forever.  She would find a way to oust me.  I'd lose my home, my friends.  I don't know if it's what I want.   If I involve the Police where I live, I'm sure I would lose my home here as she'd think me an enemy who hurt her and got her in trouble.  I'd definitely need to find another place to live and would definitely lose my home here.  I don't know if I want to lose my home and my friends.  We've known each other four years.  It's my home.  

Edited by FairreLilette

Yeah, don't let it become your problem because it's not.  You don't live here with her and the other residents like I do.  I said we were alright.  It's more my nerves that are frazzled and I want a bit of freedom to come and go, and I am not a reckless person.  I take to heart there are 110 other people here besides me and I have some protection with masks and hand sanitizer.  I'm the one who has to deal with doors being locked from the outside once I go out, not you.  So, don't let it be your problem.  

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

*headdesks repeatedly*

Sorry, I thought you were reacting to my very, very peculiar current living conditions.  It is one of the most peculiar things I've encountered in my entire life.  

I might join you though in the headdesk thing though.  Just pure frustration from all of this with this virus.  

Carry on your convos.   It's been interesting to read.  

Edited by FairreLilette

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

I live in what is called "The Valley" but it is actually short for the San Fernando Valley.  I live in the South-East part; the part closest to Los Angeles via the freeways.

I lived there. Pretty much right where you are so I know exactly where you're talking about. 

My offer was to call the police, or the housing authority anonymously. The call could be from any of the 110 residents, or someone in their families, or just some Joe Schmo that overheard something at the post office. 

If you change your mind, send me a private message. The offer stands. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I lived there. Pretty much right where you are so I know exactly where you're talking about. 

My offer was to call the police, or the housing authority anonymously. The call could be from any of the 110 residents, or someone in their families, or just some Joe Schmo that overheard something at the post office. 

If you change your mind, send me a private message. The offer stands. 

Thank you for the offer.  I don't want to make an enemy.  I came here to live in peace and this was my home.  If I make her my enemy, I could lose my home later on because she would hate me for hurting her.  I sometimes lay in bed at night and think she has some kind of a "crazed Mama Bear syndrome".  She is being protective of her daughter, her own life and us because we are kind of "communal living" which is forbidden under social distancing rules, so it's weird.   We even have a community dining room we can use which, of course, is now out of the question.  We have a lot of communal places within the residence itself we all have lost due to social distancing.  Our gym is closed, etc.  She does go back and forth in crazy kind of ways about the going out thing...so I am going to ask if she would please have a residents meeting as we begin to "open up" here a little bit as I want to know what she understands from the American rights point of view and the state's rights views re: opening up.   I think we stand a good chance of being freer now...she just needs to clarify that instead of scaring us out of our home because she is so fearful.   

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.