Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, JanuarySwan said:

Yes, but I'd keep it simple for now and say just the pollution and many of us drive a pollutant - a car.  And then I think of all the nuclear waste and the atomic bombs and on and on it goes.  And, I'm angry at the pollutants too and wonder was it all really necessary?   I gather it's like we manipulated nature and now nature itself is sick.   But, yeah, your right, man made nature sick.  But, what's done is done.  We will undo it somehow and at least be well eventually.  If I believe otherwise, I don't think I could get up in the morning.  Yet, I'm still very, very angry right now.  I don't want to be told any more lies nor half truths about this.  

we can undo it. they keep saying  ''' what's done is done" but there is always room for change in the Mother's time. change is sometimes unexpected, but keep the faith.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'll be back when LL has gotten rid of the current crop of trolls.

Maybe.

None of this is worth it. I'm not going to stop living life because the rest of humanity wants to be dumb, panicky animals stampeding over a cliff. 

Whaaa I am taking my ball and going home to play by myself and you cant come.. that is all that post sounded like.. an entitlement minded forumite who cant stand they are not on top of the world and everyone has to bow to them and their views.

27 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Whaaa I am taking my ball and going home to play by myself and you cant come.. that is all that post sounded like.. an entitlement minded forumite who cant stand they are not on top of the world and everyone has to bow to them and their views.

You seem so unhappy with your life. Do you need a hug?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Actually i am doing fine other than a very irritating eye allergy at the moment.

No, you seem like you really need to talk about it. There are resources and people you can get in touch with. I know how easy it is to put on a brave face when you’re hurting inside. Have some warm glittery hugs. 🙂

3C9C2376-434B-4038-98F1-75D44E94386A.gif.d98b0946a1c1af4fbca2c923637a4422.gif

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, VaelFaye said:

No, you seem like you really need to talk about it. There are resources and people you can get in touch with. I know how easy it is to put on a brave face when you’re hurting inside. Have some warm glittery hugs. 🙂

3C9C2376-434B-4038-98F1-75D44E94386A.gif.d98b0946a1c1af4fbca2c923637a4422.gif

thanks for the attempt, but no really other than my eyes burning im doing ok. believe it or not I do appreciate the attempt.

• Like 1

I haven't been posting to this thread and haven't even read it since the first few pages.  Therefore, I have no clue exactly what has or has not been discussed and I'm not going to read 31 pages worth of stuff right now. 

Yet I do remember, early on, an conversation argument that started when @Tolya Ugajin made a comment about people now making more on unemployment than they did working.  If memory serves, there were a few that argued with him on that statement. 

I thought of that "discussion" when I saw this in an article today:

image.png.e567527c34dae1b449d7b37f7bf9c59c.png

The article was discussing how some folks are now going to end up with a reduction in income when they go back to work because unemployment paid them more than they were making.  The article also noted that anyone that refuses to go back, will then make themselves ineligible for any further unemployment.

The mentioned Wall Street Journal article is linked below, though if you don't have a subscription to their website, you can't read more than the first few lines.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-relief-often-pays-workers-more-than-work-11588066200

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

thanks for the attempt, but no really other than my eyes burning im doing ok. believe it or not I do appreciate the attempt.

It’s ok, I know what you’re going through, it’s not easy to open up and let others in and see how vulnerable and fragile you are. You deserve only the most glitteriest, gaudiest pink hugs, and should only be responded to with such. 🙂

6DA76BA0-A5ED-4DB0-9ED4-896CC76C1DE2.gif.4fc02711466876a38ec759b9d0429cae.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The article was discussing how some folks are now going to end up with a reduction in income when they go back to work because unemployment paid them more than they were making.  The article also noted that anyone that refuses to go back, will then make themselves ineligible for any further unemployment.

The mentioned Wall Street Journal article is linked below, though if you don't have a subscription to their website, you can't read more than the first few lines.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-relief-often-pays-workers-more-than-work-11588066200

a article on FiveThirtyEight discusses the issues also:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/many-americans-are-getting-more-money-from-unemployment-than-they-were-from-their-jobs/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I haven't been posting to this thread and haven't even read it since the first few pages.  Therefore, I have no clue exactly what has or has not been discussed and I'm not going to read 31 pages worth of stuff right now. 

Yet I do remember, early on, an conversation argument that started when @Tolya Ugajin made a comment about people now making more on unemployment than they did working.  If memory serves, there were a few that argued with him on that statement. 

I thought of that "discussion" when I saw this in an article today:

image.png.e567527c34dae1b449d7b37f7bf9c59c.png

Gosh, that Tolya is a smart fellow because, gosh, he can do math and relies on more than one source for information before he opens his yapper.

As long as I've logged in to see why someone had tagged me (thanks, BTW) I'd like to share an anecdote for the folks who went on and on about how messed up the unemployment system is, how it doesn't pay workers, how hard it is to collect unemployment, how it's biased against the worker, I don't know anything, yadda yadda yadda.

I recently got a notice that one of my employees had filed for unemployment after being laid off back in March.  Having just spoken to the employee (actually one of our managers, who makes far too much to risk being fired over a fraudulent attempt to collect unemployment) a couple times the prior day, I found this curious.  After verifying with him that he had not filed for unemployment, I responded (by fax and overnight mail,  both with confirmed delivery prior to the deadline) to the notice disputing the claim, pointing out that the employee still worked for us, had not had a gap in employment for more than 20 years, that the hire date on the form was wrong, and offering to provide a copy of the most recent pay stub to the unemployment office to verify his continued employment.  The employee also reached out to the unemployment office to say he had not filed.

Today, I got a notice that the unemployment office had awarded him unemployment benefits anyway.

And here I had thought I'd seen it all.

• Sad 2

Fraudulent or exaggerated fanciful tales about benefit abuse make up the majority of stories about state benefits, but constitute an almost insignificant minority of actual claimants.

Due to the insane volume of claims, some offices have switched from the assumption that all claimants are frauds, to just starting the claim, which IMO is how it should always work (at least until UBI prevails and ends this nonsense once and for all).

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 2:55 AM, Tolya Ugajin said:

No, it's not weird math, and it was pointed out before the package even went to a vote.  People who don't understand how programs work wrote a bill with no understanding of what the effects would be, because, well, we just gotta go spend money so people will think we're doing something!

this is a unfair characterisation of Congress.  The members of Congress were fully understanding of the consequences of the bill

they understood that in the US, unemployment benefits are paid by the States. There is no federal unemployment benefit programme. As the payment was coming from the federal government and not from the individual states, the decision was made to pay the affected people directly and not give the money to the states to dole out as the states saw fit according to each state's own benefit eligibility programme. No two states have the same programme, they are all different

it may be that $600 was over generous to the lowest paid workers, but I do think it raises a question: Why is it that some USA employers think that paying their workers less than what even Republician Party senators think is ungenerous, is ok ?

if thru this people realise that their years of work and loyalty has been undervalued by their employer and they quit and go do something else for money then good 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Fraudulent or exaggerated fanciful tales about benefit abuse make up the majority of stories about state benefits, but constitute an almost insignificant minority of actual claimants

this^^

also people who adminster these programmes do make mistakes. Is not deliberate and the mistakes are rectified as soon as

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

this is a unfair characterisation of Congress.  The members of Congress were fully understanding of the consequences of the bill

they understood that in the US, unemployment benefits are paid by the States. There is no federal unemployment benefit programme. As the payment was coming from the federal government and not from the individual states, the decision was made to pay the affected people directly and not give the money to the states to dole out as the states saw fit according to each state's own benefit eligibility programme. No two states have the same programme, they are all different

it may be that $600 was over generous to the lowest paid workers, but I do think it raises a question: Why is it that some USA employers think that paying their workers less than what even Republician Party senators think is ungenerous, is ok ?

if thru this people realise that their years of work and loyalty has been undervalued by their employer and they quit and go do something else for money then good 

They were fully understanding...once a GOP Senator pointed it out the day before it was voted on.  Prior to that, it's unlikely they understood it or, the GOP at least, would have attempted to change it during negotiations.

Unemployment benefits are paid by the states, but with a hefty share of it coming from a federal tax called FUTA.  The extra $600 are subject to additional federal eligibility rules. Considering how Congress has behaved for the last 25 years, you're being awfully generous to assume they understand how benefits are processed.

I'm not even sure what your 3rd paragraph means.

Our state is opening things back up but so many people are just ignoring the social distancing protocols, are only half heartedly wearing masks but just pulling them down etc. ‘contactless’ pickup for groceries is failing because the workers are pulling down their mask, and can’t hear the verification replies unless we open the car window😒 do people even know what 6 feet/2m distancing looks like? I’m beginning to doubt it. 

Work is the only place I go, and with only 12 of us there, it's like  being in that show, Last Man on Earth..

3 people are on break at a time and the tables only have one chair at them..

They only have one person at a machine and only 4 machines running.. two of them have die casters so those two have two people at a machine,but they are  30 yards apart from each other..

It's really gonna suck when everyone else gets back.. Because I know there are going to be people just going on like it was before without a care in the world yelling in each others ears, getting all close to each other..

Right now everyone  knows it's serious that is there..plus they had a meeting  for everyone that came in Sunday night to stress about keeping clearance of each other..

Heck they are only running two out of the three shifts..Us which is 3rd shift and 1st shift..

That's kind of nice anyways itself,since second shift really sucks because the supervisors are the laziest bunch out of the whole plant..So it's refreshing to not have to come in after them..

I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts..

13 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Ohhh if you're not needing them, just package them all up and send them to me will you. I'm running low on hugs.

I can send you eye drops in return if hypromellose ones are any good to you.

Edited by Marigold Devin

8 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Gosh, that Tolya is a smart fellow because, gosh, he can do math and relies on more than one source for information before he opens his yapper.

As long as I've logged in to see why someone had tagged me (thanks, BTW) I'd like to share an anecdote for the folks who went on and on about how messed up the unemployment system is, how it doesn't pay workers, how hard it is to collect unemployment, how it's biased against the worker, I don't know anything, yadda yadda yadda.

I recently got a notice that one of my employees had filed for unemployment after being laid off back in March.  Having just spoken to the employee (actually one of our managers, who makes far too much to risk being fired over a fraudulent attempt to collect unemployment) a couple times the prior day, I found this curious.  After verifying with him that he had not filed for unemployment, I responded (by fax and overnight mail,  both with confirmed delivery prior to the deadline) to the notice disputing the claim, pointing out that the employee still worked for us, had not had a gap in employment for more than 20 years, that the hire date on the form was wrong, and offering to provide a copy of the most recent pay stub to the unemployment office to verify his continued employment.  The employee also reached out to the unemployment office to say he had not filed.

Today, I got a notice that the unemployment office had awarded him unemployment benefits anyway.

And here I had thought I'd seen it all.

There isn't an emoji appropriate for what I wanted to convey about your post.

I find it incredible the people who do manage to get universal credit (unemployment)/milk the system to their advantage, but there always seems to be those who can. It's frustrating for those who are in genuine need. Of course. 

After this covid-19 thing is over, if there are still enough jobs to go back to, a lot of people will have got used to getting money from the government while not working, and will join the masses, and then the government will no doubt cut the benefits rate down again for everyone, and the genuine ones will suffer yet again.

Grumble over. Thanks for letting me vent under your comment (not that you had a choice!). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I find it incredible the people who do manage to get universal credit (unemployment)/milk the system to their advantage, but there always seems to be those who can. It's frustrating for those who are in genuine need. Of course. 

After this covid-19 thing is over, if there are still enough jobs to go back to, a lot of people will have got used to getting money from the government while not working, and will join the masses, and then the government will no doubt cut the benefits rate down again for everyone, and the genuine ones will suffer yet again.

Why the outrage over those who manage to game the system and get undeserved disability or unemployment insurance monies?  They are such a small part of the equation - few are actually able to game the system - and far more important are those who are suffering and never receive assistance.  Yet I don't see the same people who fear others cheating champion those who need money and never get it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Why the outrage over those who manage to game the system and get undeserved disability or unemployment insurance monies?  They are such a small part of the equation - few are actually able to game the system - and far more important are those who are suffering and never receive assistance.  Yet I don't see the same people who fear others cheating champion those who need money and never get it.

I'm in the UK. I'm outraged about a fair few things that are already unfair with "the system". Because quite simply, of how much certain services are penalised and cut back for those genuinely in need as a result. Disability living day care centres, for physically and mentally handicapped people. The most vulnerable in our society are always penalised. And it's frustrating to watch and feel powerless against. 

I would be going right off the topic to continue in this post, because my main beefs are pre-covid based. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I'm in the UK

I watched PM Questions a little earlier and found it hilarious how one guy called for them all to come back to the house by 1st June and others start arguing its not safe.  THEN they all start about wanting our kids back to school.  The effin irony 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I watched PM Questions a little earlier and found it hilarious how one guy called for them all to come back to the house by 1st June and others start arguing its not safe.  THEN they all start about wanting our kids back to school.  The effin irony 

I suppose I should have been watching that. I am missing so much. Wherever I am, I should be somewhere else. I need to make me some real life alts!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Personally, I'd rather the (Canadian) house never again meet in person. Same with the US congress. Let them spend more time in their districts/ridings and less time on airplanes. It's too bad this crisis wasn't enough to make that happen.

Education is a whole different problem. I know one thing for sure: if I were about to start college as a freshman, I'd take a year off. No way I'd settle for a half-real first year of college. Sophomore and later years, though: sure.

(Primary education is a complete mystery to me under the best of circumstances, so I have no idea what makes sense this year.)

5 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I suppose I should have been watching that. I am missing so much. Wherever I am, I should be somewhere else. I need to make me some real life alts!

If you figure that out let me know! I could have one do my dishes, one my laundry and another get food in these crazy times. oh wait I do have alts but they are all trapped in the same body.. go figure..

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.