Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I know you asked Prok, but my opinion on it:  A resounding NO - our President most definitely should not be given more power right now.  Even with a President that I trusted on a general sense, I would still say NO.

But you don't give any reason.  Trust or no trust is not a good reason....it's more a visceral reaction.    

What concerns me is not having borders from state to state.

New Zealand just published they have cases going down and they believe the reason is because they closed their borders.  

Many rural states weren't issuing the shelter in home for reasons such as "We are not New York".  I know rural states don't co-mingle as much as more congested areas of the country but still, coronavirus started with one person....the original host of one.  All it would take is one person from a hot spot or from anywhere really (who knows) going into these more rural areas and....kaboom.

Edited by FairreLilette

2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

But you don't give any reason.

It would undermine States' rights - part of what this country is all about.

We all know from experience that once we give the government anything - be it money or ability - they never relinquish it and often abuse it.  Thus, I would never vote for giving our President that ability.

Some states have put in mandatory quarantine for people entering the state. Other states can do the same thing.

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It would undermine States' rights - part of what this country is all about.

I understand and appreciate all that you said but are states rights that important regarding a pandemic with no known appropriate treatments and it can be lethal.  Those going on a respirator are said will be on a respirator until they eventually die.  Their lungs are too damaged.  

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Some states have put in mandatory quarantine for people entering the state. Other states can do the same thing.

Some.  I think we really need to work together as a nation on containing this rather than just thinking "some" is enough when it could be 18 months before a vaccine.  

But, I still think you have a right to your opinion and to express it.  

Edited by FairreLilette

I’m just going to go ahead and clear up a couple of things about unemployment since this is what I do and I’m working 12 hrs a day to make sure people actually have money to buy food and pay rent, because now I’m peeved.

The additional $600 has not been paid out yet and it is TBD when it will actually will be.

The current turn around on a claim is now over 21 days (3+ weeks). That’s 3+ weeks people are going to go without any income, the majority whom are now out of work by no fault of their own. People who...statistically are living paycheck to paycheck and a $400 disaster away from being in serious trouble.

The average weekly benefit rate is about $372 in the state I work in. It’s also the highest paying state as far as unemployment benefits go. With the additional $600 that would pay about 30k a year, not 50k.

Most white collar workers(Those who would receive the maximum benefits) are not unemployed, they are working from home. The majority of people applying for unemployment are blue collar workers( some of them will receive $200 a week), who legitimately lost their jobs. Nationally, it’s creeping towards 7 million people unemployed. 

Because some jack wagon said they are quitting their job because they’ll make more on unemployment than working does not guarantee they will actually receive benefits. There are laws that protect employers from this there always have been, and they still apply.

Hope this clears up a few things about unemployment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

I stand corrected on the $600. I thought it was per month, not per week. Just for general stating purposes, unemployment is 60% of your normal income, usually factored over a period of many months. Different states do figure it differently. I had a choice of filing under one New England state or another, one was considerably higher in payment.

While the WHO isn't above reproach, imho Trump made things much worse and tens of thousands of lives are (well, will be) directly on his hands. There are many reasons for this, but one of them is the original deny-er and down playing (that he's still doing) of the severity. Anyway, on THAT issue we could go back and forth. I'm not up to that. I just know you're wrong. :)

And while I was just "schooled" about the SSDI by someone with the IQ of a radish... yeah, no.

CNN, MSNBC, etc. all were talking early on about how Covid wasn't too bad, the flu is worse, etc. etc. etc.  So, if you want to claim Trump has "blood on his hands", that's fine - we're all entitled to our wrong opinions - but you better be putting Rachel Maddow, Anderson Cooper, etc. in line for some blood  They all downplayed it for WEEKS, while Trump was putting travel restrictions on, organizing a task force, etc. It wasn't until mid-March, when the WHO declared it a pandemic, that the MSM changed their tune.  Don't take my word for it, it's all on video.  The hypocrisy on this is extreme even by CNN's degenerate standards  Oh, and when an avowed Trump hater like Gavin Newsome is on camera praising Trump, you might want to reconsider who awfully he's handling the response.  His pressers are a joke, but for the most part, the public and governors are giving him good marks thus far.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

CNN, MSNBC, etc. all were talking early on about how Covid wasn't too bad, the flu is worse, etc. etc. etc.  So, if you want to claim Trump has "blood on his hands", that's fine - we're all entitled to our wrong opinions - but you better be putting Rachel Maddow, Anderson Cooper, etc. in line for some blood  They all downplayed it for WEEKS, while Trump was putting travel restrictions on, organizing a task force, etc. It wasn't until mid-March, when the WHO declared it a pandemic, that the MSM changed their tune.  Don't take my word for it, it's all on video.  The hypocrisy on this is extreme even by CNN's degenerate standards  Oh, and when an avowed Trump hater like Gavin Newsome is on camera praising Trump, you might want to reconsider who awfully he's handling the response.  His pressers are a joke, but for the most part, the public and governors are giving him good marks thus far.

Yeah but for the vast majority of Democrats, Trump is the devil no matter what.  Similar to how for the majority of Republicans, Obama was the devil no matter what.

• Like 1

Hello everyone!
A friend and I were making a machinima at the weekend as our response to Coronavirus. It started out as promoting washing your hands, but we discovered along the way that the more salient message here is to have fun, to smile. When you smile, you boost your immune system, right? So in that spirit I would love to submit for your pleasure -

"Smile (Wash your Hands)". URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmzbdFKbea0

Unlike the virus, this is something I'd like you to share widely and wildly - friends, social media, Lindens - everyone!

Stay well / stay happy / stay sane.

Frankie X

• Confused 1

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah but for the vast majority of Democrats, Trump is the devil no matter what.  Similar to how for the majority of Republicans, Obama was the devil no matter what.

Let's just agree that, when food gets really tight, all politicians, regardless of political affiliation, will be on the menu.  When we run out of politicians, lawyers, bankers, and HR people are next.

I wonder who will taste better, AOC or Lyndsie Graham?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

On my list, HR people are much higher up. But they are gristly and taste bad.

If we really are what we eat, I taste like frozen pizzas, McDonalds, steak, and red wine.

Speaking of which, time to drive to work, pick up the mail, hit Home Depot for supplies, and grab a Bic Mac for lunch.

2 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

If we really are what we eat, I taste like frozen pizzas, McDonalds, steak, and red wine.

Speaking of which, time to drive to work, pick up the mail, hit Home Depot for supplies, and grab a Bic Mac for lunch.

Hmmm,  Micky D's or politicians/lawyers for lunch.  Now there's a tossup.

• Haha 3

Okay, this is super petty, but since it's a vent thread... I would freaking KILL for a manicure.  The lady who does my nails has (very reasonably) closed down until probably the end of April, and by then my nails will be an utter disaster.  I mean, I'm totally going to survive, but I've only just gotten them looking nice (she uses a gel overlay, which helps my normally tiny, fragile nails actually look like adult fingernails), and in a couple weeks I'm going to be back at having baby hands :P

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

I was just "schooled" about the SSDI by someone with the IQ of a radish..

I spoke about the money going to those on disability and the reasons more because of people from other countries on SL who might not know how ridiculously low the disability monthly amount of money is here in America as well as that some people on disability do work part-time and are allowed to work part-time, though it varies from state to state but there is a cap limit on how much you can make working part-time.  If your income can or will go over a certain level, you are considered no longer disabled.

I didn't want other countries to think that America has people who don't work and get free money too for not working?

Well, stimulus' have happened many, many times in America whether people are working or not working.  I only remember the one from the banking crises during the Obama administration in that many of us received one lump sum of $600 to "jump start the economy again".  

I was disabled from a car accident and lost my main occupation in the 1990's.  I then began working for Ebay part-time and received full disability benefits from SS albeit a very low amount.   So, there are people on disability who are working part-time and have lost their income from that.  I just wanted to say that and I don't think you need to jump all over me because of it.   

9 minutes ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Okay, this is super petty, but since it's a vent thread... I would freaking KILL for a manicure.  The lady who does my nails has (very reasonably) closed down until probably the end of April, and by then my nails will be an utter disaster.  I mean, I'm totally going to survive, but I've only just gotten them looking nice (she uses a gel overlay, which helps my normally tiny, fragile nails actually look like adult fingernails), and in a couple weeks I'm going to be back at having baby hands :P

Nail magic works wonders.  Used it for years!  I use Nail Medic now and could grow 3 feet long nails if I wanted too.  Unfortunately, Nail Medic has become hard to find but Nail Magic is still available.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

I would like this three times if I could. I just bought acetone to remove my gel tips. Mama Mia....it’s going to be a job I just don’t want to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janetosilio said:

I would like this three times if I could. I just bought acetone to remove my gel tips. Mama Mia....it’s going to be a job I just don’t want to do.

Oh lordy, tell me about it.  I have a vat of acetone here at home for when I can't take it anymore, and the misery of leaving them on outweighs the drudgery of removal.

• Like 1

my local supermarket has been doing a pretty good job at managing us their customers. Long lines to get in because restrictions on the numbers allowed in at one time. Most people just queue and want patiently at distance. I was in the queue for 45 minutes when I went first thing in the morning

there are two queues. The main queue is for us non-essentials who have all day to do our shopping. The short priority queue for essential services workers, which us non-essentials accept as necessary. There are some burly people on the doors who manage all this with a light touch, so all good

my vent is people who have begun to treat the supermarket as a daily social outing because everywhere else is closed. They come to queue and chat to whoever will listen, linger about in the shop for ages, buy one or two things and then come back the next day and do it again

the burly people are now putting time-bans on some of these people

when I was in the queue there was this guy. He gets in ahead of me. Wanders about with a trolley with nothing in it for the whole time I was in the store. Then he buys one box of beer and that's it.  The checkout person never said anything. Just did their job and rang up the sale. The burly people on the door had plenty to say,. I earwigged on the conversation. It went: You have plenty of food and toiletries at home sir!. The guy says: Yes I do.  The burly person asks: Enough to last you for 3 days? Beer box says: Yes I am fine.  Burly person: Great! here is a trespass notice, don't come back here for three days. Have a nice day sir!

i was laughing all the way home, still am

Edited by Mollymews
good
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Your DIY project isn't essential and it isn't worth lives. Stay the F*CK at home.

Your 6 pack of beer (re: @Mollymews post) isn't essential, truly, and it isn't worth lives. Stay the F*CK at home.

And one of the saddest most infuriating stories, because people didn't stay the F*CK at home: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/03/826817866/take-this-serious-bus-driver-dies-of-covid-19-after-calling-out-coughing-rider

image.thumb.png.1d0506f304374cb397111a458ac5f67c.png

image.png.ba095afef0fefa772527c60096858aeb.png

https://www.wfae.org/post/your-home-improvement-project-anothers-social-distancing-nightmare#stream/0

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Your 6 pack of beer (re: @Mollymews post) isn't essential, truly, and it isn't worth lives.  Stay the F*CK at home.

I'm pretty sure that the alcohol in our house is pretty essential to us staying somewhat sane.  Not sure how things are where Mollymews is, but over here my husband can go to a liquor store, which is much smaller than the grocery store and thus has a much smaller line to get in, and does not interfere with people shopping for general groceries. 

If I could only buy my wine at the grocery store, I'd go there for it.  However, I would also make sure that I stocked up on that at the same time that I stocked up on my regular groceries so that I did not have to make a special trip.  Making a special trip pretty much says that it is just a social outing.  So yeah, specifically for that guy:  Stay the F*CK at home.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.