Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

56 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I think things are gonna spike up here about 5 days after thanksgiving..

Yup, politics seems to stray from the reality of the situation and tries to lay blame on sides.. In my eyes that's a distraction from what's really going on..

It's much better to look at human nature..

Everyone think about how many people any of us know that go through life not taking a lot of things they should, serious?

I know I would need more hands to keep counting.. hehehe

I agree that the numbers are going to spike regardless of whether masks are worn or not. That's not to advocate not wearing them but to point out they are not a great line of defense and even the social distance of 6 feet is really not enough when talking to people. And yes on the politics and human nature. Some seem to not get it that trying to lay blame only makes the other side dig in their heels more defending their position, whether it is about not wearing masks or that peacefully rioting in the streets with thousands of people magically exempts them from contracting Covid 19. Politics just polarizes people from dealing with the reality.

The best reason to wear a mask though is so you don't give people a heart attack!

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I agree that the numbers are going to spike regardless of whether masks are worn or not. That's not to advocate not wearing them but to point out they are not a great line of defense and even the social distance of 6 feet is really not enough when talking to people. And yes on the politics and human nature. Some seem to not get it that trying to lay blame only makes the other side dig in their heels more defending their position, whether it is about not wearing masks or that peacefully rioting in the streets with thousands of people magically exempts them from contracting Covid 19. Politics just polarizes people from dealing with the reality.

The best reason to wear a mask though is so you don't give people a heart attack!

Oh ffs. People are going to get covid if they wear a mask, sure. Why? Because nothing is 100%. Plus so many people don't even know how to wear the darn things. Plus people take them off and put them back on without using proper procedures. Because people touch surfaces and their faces. Because...  but to say they do NO good is stupid. Just stupid.

Wash your hands (often). Stop touching your face. Wear a mask. Social distance.

It isn't a cure-all. If you are looking for things that are only 100% well... try a bubble. 

Basic hygienic principles in a frikkin pandemic is NOT (or shouldn't be) a political issue.

Common sense is polarizing too, apparently.

• Like 1

Behaviors that were pretty safe a few months ago are currently much more risky than before, simply because there is so very much more virus around now. Even just a quick masked, socially distanced trip to the grocery store for essentials is riskier now because it's currently much more likely that one of the people you encounter will be shedding virus. All the things we do for protection are probabilistic, they reduce the risk of contracting the disease, but having more virus in the environment offsets that reduction. Same with the benefit of having a young and healthy immune system: that all reduces the risk of dying from COVID-19, but that's a reduction from a variable and now rising risk of encountering the virus.

It's not only foolishness and fatigue anymore. Especially in the US, the virus is currently kicking ass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow you are quick aren't you? @Gatogateau
I'm so sorry, that was THREE posts in ONE minute. 😂
I don't drink alcohol, let alone beer 🤮 lol

Certainly I have just finished mowing one third of the lawn in 30c heat after
congratulating 30 students today on their success this morning. Same tomorrow.
Then you expect me to read the snipey tripe of an alt? 😝😂

Ponder your "quick draw" abilities here: and weep. 

DespScreenshot 2020-11-26 121043.jpg

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Gatogateau said:

Seriously? 

Yes. I'm sitting at my computer. And multi-tasking. Including posting. Much as I always do. So... Yeah. You can find similar posting timings if you go back on any day that I'm posting, using any avatar.

And this has to do with what about covid? And fyi, and for the record, those responses are not all to you.

Oh look! I'm commenting a lot, in short posts, on a topic I cared enough about to start a thread on! Woot!

Get a grip. 

Done.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Because...  but to say they do NO good is stupid. Just stupid.

But then I didn't say they were no good. I said they were not a great line of defense. That was backed by at least 2 of the studies i referenced that were tl;dr for you. The difference between those who contracted the virus and wore a mask and those who didn't varied only by a few percentage points.

17 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Behaviors that were pretty safe a few months ago are currently much more risky than before, simply because there is so very much more virus around now. Even just a quick masked, socially distanced trip to the grocery store for essentials is riskier now because it's currently much more likely that one of the people you encounter will be shedding virus. All the things we do for protection are probabilistic, they reduce the risk of contracting the disease, but having more virus in the environment offsets that reduction. Same with the benefit of having a young and healthy immune system: that all reduces the risk of dying from COVID-19, but that's a reduction from a variable and now rising risk of encountering the virus.

It's not only foolishness and fatigue anymore. Especially in the US, the virus is currently kicking ass.

Plus it getting colder and doors and windows getting closed up, That's what is really going to bring it up probably more than anything.. We're in boxes more now than we were in the spring and summer and recirculating the same air..

• Like 4

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

But then I didn't say they were no good. I said they were not a great line of defense. That was backed by at least 2 of the studies i referenced that were tl;dr for you. The difference between those who contracted the virus and wore a mask and those who didn't varied only by a few percentage points.

So instead of masks, what would you suggest to people who need to go out?  Unless someone has another option, masks are the way to go.  Period.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

They are PART of a defense. And has been shown here, and elsewhere, for every questionable study you want to produce showing little to no effect there are many others that show the opposite.

So your point? Do you have one?

3 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

They are PART of a defense. And has been shown here, and elsewhere, for every questionable study you want to produce showing little to no effect there are many others that show the opposite.

Well feel free to post links to those opposing studies. Several other posters have hinted they exist but failed to provide anything so hopefully you can.

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Yea, It went sour when I pictured Walmart..

I was like, Eew no way! \o/

Not to mention if with ball gags, those things make you drool like crazy. I can't imagine that would be good for the old stop-the-pandemic efforts. :)

8 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

So instead of masks, what would you suggest to people who need to go out?  Unless someone has another option, masks are the way to go.  Period.

Yeah and maybe as i been doing, refocusing on hand washing which i have to admit i was letting slide as everyone was too preoccupied with masks. 

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well feel free to post links to those opposing studies. Several other posters have hinted they exist but failed to provide anything so hopefully you can.

Seriously? You cannot google on your own and find them? It took about 30 seconds to come up with pages of hits, and do I want to read through each and every one of them because you are being stubborn and perverse? Nope, I do not want.

They are there. They are quite available. There are some going back to early this year and some very recent.

Just now, Gatogateau said:

Not to mention if with ball gags, those things make you drool like crazy. I can't imagine that would be good for the old stop-the-pandemic efforts. :)

I have really bad gag reflex so I couldn't wear one anyways.. I put a superball in my mouth one time and I started gagging.. It kinda got stuck in my upper teeth and had to use my finger to get it out, which really triggered me gagging even more..

It was just a bad experience all around..

hehehehe

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
7 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Expand  Expand  

You got your links and studies from this guy?   This anti-vax quack?

https://americanloons.blogspot.com/2018/03/1989-jim-meehan_31.html

Despite coming from him, I checked a few before losing patience.

You misinterpreted the one study saying the difference is only a couple of percentage points...they were talking about between different TYPES of masks -- they were not comparing wearing a mask vs not wearing one.

The 2nd one didn't meet science requirements, was not replicated.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.