Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I saw that to mean that they present both biases and that is what they are balancing. Up to the individual which bias if any one decides to accept. The one or two articles i skimmed over, made no judgement as to which bias they favoured.

The problem there is one of false equivalencies.

If I make it my political stance that the moon is made of blue cheese and we need to spend 90% of our budget preparing for the incomming Martian invasion fleet. And you say the moon is made of cosmic dust and rock fragments of the primordial Earth, and that Mars is a bunch of red lifeless sand - that if it has life, that life is at most early stage simple organisms - but the chances of even this are slim to none...

- should we get equal billing to balance out the biases when my stance here is clearly that of 'wingnut and crazy'... 😉

Better to give people solid educations in social sciences and media awareness so they have the ability to see that my stance is wacko... and not to entertain such nonsense...

Paying homage to 'the other side' when that side in a given topic has been racist, science denial, xenophobic, homophobic, and so on - has been a problem for decades that has more or less led us to this point in history.

When we had fools ranting up about communist utopias and living in communes where we meditate to moon crystals and are led by a guy who's sleeping with all the women in the place... nobody bothered to give the 'radical left' "equal space" for it's wing-nuttery... they got tossed, and basically haven't been heard from again since the early 1970s... or perhaps I should say Nov 18, 1978.

Wacko wingnuttery doesn't have a bias... but our collective willingness to put up with it does...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 5

Hello folks. OP here. Amazingly this thread is up to 58 pages! Usually my OPs last at most 2 pages, so...cool.

Since COVID is around to stay for a while, let's keep this thread alive and stay on topic. Yes, many topics touch upon venting about COVID but I think we are straying, and straying into the realm where threads get shut down.

As an avid fan of thread derails, you know its gotta hurt for me to say this. :/

So, please, if you are just ranting about straight old politics, left, right or center, USA, EU, whatevs... dial it back to on topic.

Thank you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Hello folks. OP here. Amazingly this thread is up to 58 pages! Usually my OPs last at most 2 pages, so...cool.

Since COVID is around to stay for a while, let's keep this thread alive and stay on topic. Yes, many topics touch upon venting about COVID but I think we are straying, and straying into the realm where threads get shut down.

As an avid fan of thread derails, you know its gotta hurt for me to say this. :/

So, please, if you are just ranting about straight old politics, left, right or center, USA, EU, whatevs... dial it back to on topic.

Thank you.

Thank you.  I woke up this morning and started reading and was preparing to say something like this.  I am sorry if I sparked it by posting my image yesterday.  It was not my intention but knowing how things go here when politics can be dragged into any thread, I should have thought it through.  *prepares to be spanked*

6 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Be honest -

If you had a much higher of chance of dying if you got it vs NO bad effects afterwards(when you're immune) ... 

Would you prefer that to getting it and then maybe having long term lung/health problems?

The after-effects scare me. Not only the persistent effects, but the potential of resurfacing effects, not uncommon for viral infections; the COVID equivalent of shingles or post-polio syndrome that spontaneously appear decades after recovery. This fate could await everybody—every child, evenwho overcomes the virus whether or not they get symptoms; we have no good reason to think it won't.

Meanwhile, Ontario and Quebec are going to hell again. The case numbers are setting new records, but of course we're testing much more, so maybe we're getting 1/3 instead of 1/10 of the true case counts, but we're again getting the same geometric growth as the first wave. So the provinces try to re-tighten the recently relaxed restrictions, without reverting to a full lockdown.

And so far, It's not working. Hospitals are starting to fill again, and elective procedures backlogged from the first wave will be postponed again. Really not working: Toronto public health no longer has capacity to trace contacts leading to this flood of new cases. Without that, is there any way to regain control without a lockdown, or a vaccine?

And now, flu season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

The after-effects scare me. Not only the persistent effects, but the potential of resurfacing effects, not uncommon for viral infections; the COVID equivalent of shingles or post-polio syndrome that spontaneously appear decades after recovery. This fate could await everybody—every child, evenwho overcomes the virus whether or not they get symptoms; we have no good reason to think it won't.

Meanwhile, Ontario and Quebec are going to hell again. The case numbers are setting new records, but of course we're testing much more, so maybe we're getting 1/3 instead of 1/10 of the true case counts, but we're again getting the same geometric growth as the first wave. So the provinces try to re-tighten the recently relaxed restrictions, without reverting to a full lockdown.

And so far, It's not working. Hospitals are starting to fill again, and elective procedures backlogged from the first wave will be postponed again. Really not working: Toronto public health no longer has capacity to trace contacts leading to this flood of new cases. Without that, is there any way to regain control without a lockdown, or a vaccine?

And now, flu season.

In the U.S. we're doing close to a million tests a day and been staying right around the 4.7% positivity rate..

Which 5% or below shows a slowing of the spread.. Hopefully going into the colder months it stays in that range or lower and not increase too much..

But with the cold and the flu coming in soon, plus Covid-19 still hanging around.. omg  it's gonna be a hell of a 2020 winter, that's for sure..

I know I'm gonna be jacking up the volume of immunity foods and drinks even more than ever now with my family..

They thought they were eating and drinking too much veggies and fruits during the summer.. By the time I'm finished this winter, they'll think we've turned vegans..hehehehehe

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

They thought they were eating and drinking too much veggies and fruits during the summer.. By the time I'm finished this winter, they'll think we've turned vegans..hehehehehe

And, isn't it ironic that these viruses that have emerged in the 21st Century are possibly from "meat"; i.e. eating cadavers.  I sometimes cannot believe we are a people that eats cadavers.  

I was a vegetarian for  11 years and exercised six days a week.  So, no, I was in no way a "weak" person because I was a vegetarian as some myths will perpetuate.  I worked out with "the princess of pain" lol.  That no pain, no gain thing which many are re-thinking may not be such a good idea.  

Be well!  

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

By the time I'm finished this winter, they'll think we've turned vegans..hehehehehe

Better keep a close eye on hubbie and the kids....if you start to notice a green or berry-red hue it's time to dial it back!   😉

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

And, isn't it ironic that these viruses that have emerged in the 21st Century are possibly from "meat"; i.e. eating cadavers.  I sometimes cannot believe we are a people that eats cadavers.  

I was a vegetarian for  11 years and exercised six days a week.  So, no, I was in no way a "weak" person because I was a vegetarian as some myths will perpetuate.  I worked out with "the princess of pain" lol.  That no pain, no gain thing which many are re-thinking may not be such a good idea.  

Be well!  

That's because a lot of people buy their meat from someone else.. We raise our own meats and a lot of our veggies and some fruits..We also use our own feed which we grow..it's also our own seed..

The people that live around town that grocery shop at walmart couldn't tell me what was in their food.. I could tell them what's in ours..hehehe

To me the meats in grocery stores looks rotten compared to ours.. I'd never eat from any of them.. I don't even like going down that section because just seeing the meats in there makes my tummy turn.. My gag reflex starts flexing hehehe

14 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That's because a lot of people buy their meat from someone else.. We raise our own meats and a lot of our veggies and some fruits..We also use our own feed which we grow..it's also our own seed..

The people that live around town that grocery shop at walmart couldn't tell me what was in their food.. I could tell them what's in ours..hehehe

To me the meats in grocery stores looks rotten compared to ours.. I'd never eat from any of them.. I don't even like going down that section because just seeing the meats in there makes my tummy turn.. My gag reflex starts flexing hehehe

I hate meat.  I don't like it.  There is nothing like California fresh eating with avocados.  Although now California is heading towards a 10-year drought.  Thank you, all you other states, that have been trucking water to us.  We wouldn't have made it without you!   We are hanging in there, although the produce is pretty sucky.  

But, there is nothing like "fresh picked".  Most of our local farmers closed when property sky-rocketed in California.  Fresh picked veggies and fruits are like ambrosia of the kind for the mythical gods of ancient legends to me.  

Edited by FairreLilette

13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Better keep a close eye on hubbie and the kids....if you start to notice a green or berry-red hue it's time to dial it back!   😉

The real drawback is all the freaking energy they have now..

They were energetic before, but my god, they are all over the board now..

I'm just glad we have more than enough room for them to roam outside and planty to keep them busy..If they were stuck in the house, I'd be looking at making a heck of a lot more turkey..hehehe

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I hate meat.  I don't like it.  There is nothing like California fresh eating with avocados.  Although now California is heading towards a 10-year drought.  Thank you, all you other states, that have been trucking water to us.  We wouldn't have made it without you!   We are hanging in there, although the produce is pretty sucky.  

But, there is nothing like "fresh picked".  Most of our local farmers closed when property sky-rocketed in California.  Fresh picked veggies and fruits are like ambrosia of the kind for the mythical gods of ancient legends to me.  

I love veggies and fruits more than I do meats.. But when it comes to meats, there is such a huge difference between what I see in the stores and what we have.. To me the stuff in the stores always look  loose, fatty,dull and pink, where ours is much more tight very lean red to almost dark purple.. Just packed with protein.. they actually look tasty before you cook them.. like a good piece of deer meat..

If I do eat meat, it has to be ours..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I love veggies and fruits more than I do meats.. But when it comes to meats, there is such a huge difference between what I see in the stores and what we have.. To me the stuff in the stores always look  loose, fatty,dull and pink, where ours is much more tight very lean red to almost dark purple.. Just packed with protein.. they actually look tasty before you cook them.. like a good piece of deer meat..

If I do eat meat, it has to be ours..

Stahp! You're making me hungry!  🤭

I miss the old grocery stores that had their own butchers and meat delivered fresh daily from local farmers. Same with the fruits, veggies, nuts, gourds, beans, peas, taters, maters, and oh so many other fresh foods! 

Oh and there was a Holsum bakery right outside of town so fresh baked bread/products daily as well and the smell, oh man, nothing like the smell of baking bread as you drive by with the windows down.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

In the U.S. we're doing close to a million tests a day and been staying right around the 4.7% positivity rate..

Which 5% or below shows a slowing of the spread.. Hopefully going into the colder months it stays in that range or lower and not increase too much..

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. It’s still way higher than 5% in many states. I don’t expect it to improve with colder weather,  but I’ll be happy if it does. 

• Like 1

I have to fill out two forms every day and pay for my own PPE for work- If I don't, I'll be fired.

If I try to claim quarantine and not go to work, I'll be fired.

If I catch covid and can't work, I'll be fired. The only place I'm going to catch covid, because it's the only place I go, is at work.

Up until recently, people not working were getting their unemployment benefits, plus a big bonus check. I know people collecting all forms of disability so they don't have to work or pay taxes.

I clearly picked the wrong career, this whole "honest work" thing is overrated.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

18 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Thank you.  I woke up this morning and started reading and was preparing to say something like this.  I am sorry if I sparked it by posting my image yesterday.  It was not my intention but knowing how things go here when politics can be dragged into any thread, I should have thought it through.  *prepares to be spanked*

Nope. I am not a switch. :) Besides, you just might enjoy it too much.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I know people collecting all forms of disability so they don't have to work or pay taxes.

Reeeaaaallly? I know "people" on disability, too. Me. It isn't because "so I don't have to work". It is because, wait for it... I'm disabled and *can no longer work*. My exorbitant income, sucking at the public teat, is LESS THAN the amount listed as the official poverty line. Yup, just partying it up, just to goof off and pull one over on you hard working types. [sarcasm font]

ffs

However, the ridiculous situation at your work regarding COVID is still horrendous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. It’s still way higher than 5% in many states. I don’t expect it to improve with colder weather,  but I’ll be happy if it does. 

Yea, Some states got hit  later than others, like mine.. That's why early on some media were reporting a second wave, then realized it hadn't really hit hard there yet..

you have some states that are way lower than 5%.. That is just the nations percentage which has been going down since the beginning of August and has been hovering just under 5% for about 3 weeks or so now..

Here is hoping it stays or even drops more , but yea with colder weather it doesn't seem likely..Especially with flu and cold coming in soon as well..

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

Reeeaaaallly? I know "people" on disability, too. Me. It isn't because "so I don't have to work". It is because, wait for it... I'm disabled and *can no longer work*. My exorbitant income, sucking at the public teat, is LESS THAN the amount listed as the official poverty line. Yup, just partying it up, just to goof off and pull one over on you hard working types. [sarcasm font]

... Good job being the exception, I guess?

Don't take it so personally, I just call 'em like I see 'em.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I have to fill out two forms every day and pay for my own PPE for work- If I don't, I'll be fired.

If I try to claim quarantine and not go to work, I'll be fired.

If I catch covid and can't work, I'll be fired. The only place I'm going to catch covid, because it's the only place I go, is at work.

Up until recently, people not working were getting their unemployment benefits, plus a big bonus check. I know people collecting all forms of disability so they don't have to work or pay taxes.

I feel bad for not going into work tonight now! \o/

at-work-funny-internet-memes.jpg

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.