My display name was restored to username ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was trying to change my display name to a new one, and foreseeing questions "have you accidentally tap 'reset' button?", no, I haven't. That name was accepted, it was visible over my avatar and in my profile feed (you know, those "has changed their name" system messages).

But later my friend asked me why I have only username visible and weirdly I noticed one more "has changed their name" message in profile feed right after 14 minutes after I changed name. I swear I never used "reset" button. I had no reason to use it.

So here's the question how that even was possible? I know I can do nothing but wait a week to get my name back, but I'm curious about reasons for that :c

Edited by kuragenox
Typos XD

1 hour ago, kuragenox said:

So here's the question how that even was possible? I know I can do nothing but wait a week to get my name back, but I'm curious about reasons for that

The server chews it up and spits it out. Typically within an hour. You'll need to login using your Second Life account info to see this bug report and related links on the issue BUG-11555 Setting certain characters in Display Name results in DN changing twice within minutes and resulting DN changes to Korean.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Willow Wilder said:

The server chews it up and spits it out.

Oof, so harsh...

Well, thank you for the link, I've roamed from one linked bug ticket to another and found out that sometimes LL may reset 7 day timer if you ask them. And the case commented with that information was the same as mine..

So thank you again, I definitely should try to fill a support ticket, maybe I'll be lucky enough!

19 minutes ago, kuragenox said:

Oof, so harsh...

Well, thank you for the link, I've roamed from one linked bug ticket to another and found out that sometimes LL may reset 7 day timer if you ask them. And the case commented with that information was the same as mine..

So thank you again, I definitely should try to fill a support ticket, maybe I'll be lucky enough!

I gather Support is pretty good about resetting the timer, but of course don't use the same characters again. Good luck! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Willow Wilder said:

Although the article claims to support most Unicode, I'm not sure LL anticipated the Unicode spaghetti some residents would want to use. 

and quite often because of how I've got my system setup some of that unicode is [] lol,  so it's been weird seeing unicode in []

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.