I'm having trouble uploading mesh from Blender to SL

Jonh Maven

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I'm learning 3D creation in Blender, and I made a simple shield with a star.
To know how it would look in SL, I uploaded it, but simply 3d is with an alpha / transparent on the face.

Remembering that I didn't put any texture or UV map, it was just a 3d object in extension .dae

See in the photos what happens:

ON BLENDER:

image.png.25e5b10854b2c95cf36e5a9e441b1e4c.png

ON SECOND LIFE:

image.png.8db3ee6d643f16bc3eeb7a62ffc76e7f.png

image.png.ace559697c4044a2df7bf062768d3b8b.png

image.png.ebef11bd9684ae174f36d7d41a6e2df7.png

Could someone help me with this problem, I believe it is something super simple.

Thank you very much in advance !!

Jonh Maven

You have flipped (inverted) normals. Only one face of an object is rendered.   You need to change some settings so that you can see what your upload will REALLY look like when it gets in world.    You need to turn on backface culling.   That will show the problem. THEN you can flipped the faces so that the face in the other direction (and so that they will be solid when you import your mesh). 

image.png.5404508027b1376e3adc79a39d1b39f1.png

Then in EDIT mode you select the faces that are turned in the wrong direction and choose "flip direction".  You can also (sometimes) select the whole object and try "recalculate". If you are lucky that works. If not, you can undo and make changes manually.

I am using 2.79 so if you are using 2.8 this is likely confusing ans major changes between versions. BUT that is what you need to do and hopefully you can find a tutorial that shows you where the features are in 2.8.  Good luck. 

ALSO YOUR MESH IS WAY TOO DENSE  :D.   You have too many triangles for Second Life.   So look up "low poly modeling". That is what you are after. 

image.png.b1be974d98a5fc0ba427ed0e4902fac5.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

ALSO YOUR MESH IS WAY TOO DENSE  :D.   You have too many triangles for Second Life.   So look up "low poly modeling". That is what you are after. 

Based on the Blender screenshot, the shield is Fine™. How did you determine it's too dense?

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

I based that comment on the BLENDER shot here. You do not get that look of super smoothness from a low poly model.  Now the model could have been changed before uploading (or during upload actually) and I grant that the inworld model doesn't look like the  "in Blender" model.  

But, since the OP seems to be very new to 3D modeling it is good to know about LOW POLY  - IMO :D.   I doubt seriously that they made the model, did a high poly bake,  retopoed the model and THEN uploaded it  -- but of course that could be what happened.   Just seems like a big stretch LOL.    

So I will restate that comment saying that  one should NOT upload something "this smooth" into SL.  And the sub-surf modifier is NOT your friend here :D.   It can be used wisely but usually needs edge loops to be removed to be  "game asset".    

image.png.25e5b10854b2c95cf36e5a9e441b1e4c.png

34 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I based that comment on the BLENDER shot here. You do not get that look of super smoothness from a low poly model.  Now the model could have been changed before uploading (or during upload actually) and I grant that the inworld model doesn't look like the  "in Blender" model.  

But, since the OP seems to be very new to 3D modeling it is good to know about LOW POLY  - IMO :D.   I doubt seriously that they made the model, did a high poly bake,  retopoed the model and THEN uploaded it  -- but of course that could be what happened.   Just seems like a big stretch LOL.    

So I will restate that comment saying that  one should NOT upload something "this smooth" into SL.  And the sub-surf modifier is NOT your friend here :D.   It can be used wisely but usually needs edge loops to be removed to be  "game asset".    

I mean you can see the verts without even zooming in. If it has a subsurf modifier on it, it's not set very high or the base model is extremely simple...

f2d091626a.png

It looks like a plain UV sphere with 64 loops. I can remake it with 1700 tris and no modifiers. (Or 1300 with sharp edges.)

ad94e270b1.png

You're not wrong to mention the importance of low-poly though. 1700 or 17000, there's always room to improve things.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

YAYYY!!! Thank you veryy much!!! 

I solved the problem!! When I saw that it worked, I felt such a joy !!

I am very excited about learning 3d.

For those who have the same problem, I use Blender 2.8 latest version. I did it as follows, as Chic recommended:

image.png.14da47a20b33d9d683692350430c6cdb.png

image.png.558bba91ea4506656f1e03c640311b0b.png

image.png.eba5be0314d63aa752a7f9d552596e1f.png

image.png.63bd2d870886d51c90d3fc7cdb64fa75.png

image.png.ee1a38d933b551475118a07235669556.png

ITS OK NOW!! 

Thank you so much Chic and Wulfie for the help !!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.