Problems moving, staying in SL ... etc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

first the GD is the wrong place to ask, you should be in the answers or techie sections. Many people after 15 yrs of sl  still think speed is the thing.. while stable connection is most important.

open the viewer,  help menu / about
copy paste that info here, there's some usefull info in that file to have a first real guess about the problems. If that shows nothing it's often not at your side but your ISP.

20 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

..and still nobody showed his settings... funny

stat settings?which ones  ?? what are you referring to?

Like I said I have a small size AV and similar sized small inventory.  I even tried an alt with just a very basic heritage NONE mesh SL Avatar and next to nothing in the inventory.

Same darn problem no matter where I TP the little guy to ... 

However I did find out today that everybody in my neighbourhood is having problems getting onto SL or similar interactive sites ... so likely our cheap over used HOA ISP. 

also speed was shared above ... and the readings are OK then crap the next moment 

anyhow, what specifically should i be looking for sharing that I was able to eliminate on my own prior to coming here ? 

yes I do know to check all that but here it is ...

Firestorm 6.3.2 (58052) Sep 27 2019 22:41:52 (64bit) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (2592 MHz)
Memory: 12227 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 18362.720)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 965M/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 23.21.13.8857
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 388.57

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.25.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.7
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.00.03
Dullahan: 1.1.1320 / CEF: 3.3626.1895.g7001d56 / Chromium: 72.0.3626.121
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1442x987 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: High-Ultra (6/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 1024 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2019-2-14T1:23:7 
Built with MSVC version 1800
April 06 2020 17:31:57 SLT

I asked here to check on other possible Floridians is all.

All my ani friends have had similar issues in past but for no more than a day

with a fluctuating ISP connection being the major culprit.  This is the longest for me 

ON HOA Neighbour chat/forum same thing happening with two other SL users ... sigh 

Pretty obvious from the answers not SL's fault.  

thanks bye bye 

14 minutes ago, PhilGalaxi said:

Bandwidth: 500 kbit/s

That's awfully low. Mine is set to 3,000kb/s, consider increasing that number and see if it has any effect (yes, I know what the slider says. 

Another thing I noticed is that your graphics drivers are rather old. The current version for Windows is 445.75, I am currently on version 440.64, you are on  388.57. Not that it will help you with your current issue, but you may still want to update y9our graphics drivers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

That's awfully low. Mine is set to 3,000kb/s, consider increasing that number and see if it has any effect (yes, I know what the slider says. 

Another thing I noticed is that your graphics drivers are rather old. The current version for Windows is 445.75, I am currently on version 440.64, you are on  388.57. Not that it will help you with your current issue, but you may still want to update y9our graphics drivers.

THANKS 🙂 that is my older lap top

my tower is pretty new 

CyberPowerPC - Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i7-9700K - 32GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - 2TB Hard Drive + 500GB SSD - White

was flying last month then kaboom 😞

Well you've certainly given a lot of clues. I just tried disabling my network card while logged into SL (on the default LL viewer) and I couldn't move and the client logged me out 5 minutes later. I'm guessing that you are losing your internet connection or it becomes so degraded that the viewer can't talk to the server for a certain amount of time. It likely has nothing to do with avatar size or rendering. Your computer seems powerful enough. I would check with your provider and whatever web site they have to check the status and whatever tools they give you to diagnose your problems. 5G is a new technology so your provider may be figuring this out as well. Maybe they need to install more antennas in your neighborhood. 

10 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Well you've certainly given a lot of clues. I just tried disabling my network card while logged into SL (on the default LL viewer) and I couldn't move and the client logged me out 5 minutes later. I'm guessing that you are losing your internet connection or it becomes so degraded that the viewer can't talk to the server for a certain amount of time. It likely has nothing to do with avatar size or rendering. Your computer seems powerful enough. I would check with your provider and whatever web site they have to check the status and whatever tools they give you to diagnose your problems. 5G is a new technology so your provider may be figuring this out as well. Maybe they need to install more antennas in your neighborhood. 

BINGO  ya ISP side for sure ...   my big HOT tower with cable connection is like maybe 2 minutes better before I get the boot.

Like I told socks LOL I was just trying to see whom in my deep south neck of the woods was having same issues.  

Seems I am not alone... at least in the swamp ... 

Yours "Bree" was recent too?  Probably just SL becoming the new Disney World. Due to COVID-19

What we have to realize that although the numbers [although spiked recently] are not the all time high.  Back in the day [10 + years ago] 

we did not have all the fun things like animesh to play with in SL BIG BW users no doubt ... 

This stay at home contagion scare along with the upcoming Avatar Movies may actually be a real good thing for SL in the long term. 

provided they can get some money into their hardware 

BUT HEY, they  might be able to wrangle some money out of the GOV ...

you know

""safe social interaction with miles of distancing"" 

Feel free to use that SL 🙂

... meantime the home Q-time continues ... 

fmj.jpg

Edited by PhilGalaxi

On 4/5/2020 at 7:10 AM, PhilGalaxi said:

Hi

This has been going on for the past week now.  

No changes from previous week for me 

I can log in but after a few seconds I cannot move, then get logged out

Longest i can stay is like 5 minutes.   

Is there an issue with Second Life servers right now?

Does not matter where I go or the size of my character

I have 5 G and have never had a problem like this 

Is it because everybody is using SL now because of stay at home? 

I'm experiencing similar problems with the internet in general.  Skype has never been this bad.  Even my Netflix has been sluggish from time to time. 

Just a quick point to add here - when @PhilGalaxi copied the Help-About information, it looks as if the viewer was running but not logged-in. If you are also logged in, that information will include Packets Lost, and I suspect that that figure might have shown the problem up immediately.

That would rely on PhilGalaxi being able to remain logged-in long enough to get that information, of course!

On 4/5/2020 at 5:10 AM, PhilGalaxi said:

Hi

This has been going on for the past week now.  

No changes from previous week for me 

I can log in but after a few seconds I cannot move, then get logged out

Longest i can stay is like 5 minutes.   

Is there an issue with Second Life servers right now?

Does not matter where I go or the size of my character

I have 5 G and have never had a problem like this 

Is it because everybody is using SL now because of stay at home? 

Somewhere in the links I posted below is the answer to your issue. I'd go through and find it for you but I just don't have the time right now. Good luck! 

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/login_fail

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_install_crash

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_run_crash

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/login_fail_without_cache_clear

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 11:09 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

Somewhere in the links I posted below is the answer to your issue. I'd go through and find it for you but I just don't have the time right now. Good luck! 

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/login_fail

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_install_crash

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_run_crash

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/login_fail_without_cache_clear

Nope it was my ISP.   Had Spec----m come in and they replaced both the router and modem.  Works great now.  Back in action 🙂  thanks all but I've been with SL on and off since it started.  Figured it had to be at my end ... 

Glad you're up and running again, Phil.

I will just add that, if there's any way you can avoid it, you should not run SL on either a wireless internet (4G or 5G) connection, or on satellite internet (although this may change when Elon Musk's Starlink goes online.  That system's satellite relays are in much lower orbits and may not have the transmission delays inherent in current satellite internet).  The best internet for SL is a fiber optic network, if it's available to you.

2 hours ago, PhilGalaxi said:

Nope it was my ISP.   Had Spec----m come in and they replaced both the router and modem.  Works great now.  Back in action 🙂  thanks all but I've been with SL on and off since it started.  Figured it had to be at my end ... 

Well if it hadn't been any of the above that would have been what I would have recommended next. Many of us have been in SL 15 plus years so... ok? But yeah, thanks for reminding my why I don't go back to the FS support team.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.