Shop with heads

KarolinaTalaoc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a problem buying a head. I recently bought an ebody and I can't buy a head. When I buy from Marketplace, it doesn't work for me. It only changes the shape of the body. Please advise me on how to buy a head. And what shops give me or the name of the heads in the marketplace what to combine with ebody. I would necessarily like Korean or Japanese head.

11 answers to this question

eBody doesn't sell heads, but most mesh heads should be compatible with their bodies.  What head(s) are you buying that "only change the shape of the body"?

Buying a mesh head is like buying a mesh body...get a lot of demos and try them out first, before spending a lot of money!  Popular brands include Catwa, Lelutka, and Genus.  If you join their group, Genus is currently offering a FREE head as a gift.

33 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

eBody nie sprzedaje głowic, ale większość głowic siatkowych powinna być kompatybilna z ich ciałami. Jakie głowy kupujesz, „które zmieniają tylko kształt ciała”?

Kupowanie głowicy z siatki przypomina kupowanie korpusu z siatki ... zdobądź wiele wersji demonstracyjnych i wypróbuj je najpierw, zanim wydasz dużo pieniędzy! Popularne marki to Catwa, Lelutka i Genus. Jeśli dołączysz do ich grupy, Genus oferuje obecnie BEZPŁATNĄ głowę jako prezent.

i did try Jennie - Shape for Genus Baby Face and {Nyaru} - Lisa Shape - Catya/Maitreya  and it did broken body and head been same, i did by in marketplace. wow. i did't know. thank you :) and for it can got skin?

6 minutes ago, KarolinaTalaoc said:

i did try Jennie - Shape for Genus Baby Face and {Nyaru} - Lisa Shape - Catya/Maitreya  and it did broken body and head been same, i did by in marketplace. wow. i did't know. thank you :) and for it can got skin?

What you bought were shapes. You want to buy heads. Those are two different things.

Search inworld for Genus Project and TP to their store. They currently have a 40% off sale on all heads.

Those items are not heads, they are shapes.  A shape is a set of Appearance menu slider settings that control your body and face shape.  Mesh bodies, and mesh heads, are what is called "fitted" mesh.  This means that they are linked to your avatar's skeleton and can be affected by the Appearance sliders just like your non-mesh standard body and face.  The "Jennie" shape is meant to be used if you also have a Genus Baby Face head.  The Nyaru Lisa shape is meant to be used with the Catya head by Catwa and the Maitreya Lara body.

Yes, you can get skins for mesh bodies and heads.  They come with several skins to start with, often skins from Glam Affair.  Other skin makers also make skins for mesh bodies and heads.  Just be sure that the skin you buy says it's made to work with your particular mesh body and head.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

Unfortunately, though mesh heads and bodies are separate things, they both respond to the settings of the single shape we're able to wear. This can be frustrating when trying mesh heads, as they will come with shape settings designed to produce a pleasing look for the head that may produce an unacceptable look for the rest of the body. The same happens if you try a new mesh body with an existing mesh head. The body's shape settings are likely to produce an unattractive head.

So, you're stuck with the cumbersome process of transferring the body settings from the shape that produces a good looking body into the shape that produces a good looking head, or transferring the head settings from a shape that produces a good looking head into the shape that produces a good looking body. I've done that in the past using a simple text file to keep track of the names and values of every slider in the shape.

All of the other advice here applies. Make sure that any mesh head you buy is compatible with the body you're going to screw it on, and that any skin you buy works with both.

This is a long standing problem.  People want to know how to change their face.  Everyone wants to do that.  And in the marketplace what you find are "shapes" and "skins." Certainly, everyone who is new has asked the question:  which one changes my face? 

How many new people have purchased a "skin" for hundreds of lindens in order to look like the picture advertising it, only to put it on and look nothing like the advertisement.  And too, later on, you try buying a "shape" to look like an advertisement and you put that on and it changes your face!  So you panic and try to get back to what you were looking like before that waste of effort, and you never open that shape again, it goes into limbo of forgotten crap in your inventory, like the skin you bought and feel you've wasted your lindens on both of them.

NOW, is this new thing called, "mesh heads." What a nightmare. Surely, this OP is asking about her face. Why is it that never seems to be adequately addressed or explained for new people?

[ I'm sure it has been, and hordes of us probably missed it ]

You are not wrong, @Lancewae Barrowstone!  All three things...skin, shape, and mesh head...work together (or fight against each other!) to produce the final look of your face.  Different people approach the problem in different ways.  All of them require quite a lot of experimentation to finally get the result you're happy with.

4 hours ago, KarolinaTalaoc said:

i don't know a lot things. but thank you fot help

A very fine reason to stick to the "demo, demo, demo!" routine for now and test everything you can, play with all kinds of mesh heads and get to know them - then, only then, do drop your L$ on the final product.

18 hours ago, KarolinaTalaoc said:

I have a problem buying a head. I recently bought an ebody and I can't buy a head. When I buy from Marketplace, it doesn't work for me. It only changes the shape of the body. Please advise me on how to buy a head. And what shops give me or the name of the heads in the marketplace what to combine with ebody. I would necessarily like Korean or Japanese head.

What you bought was a shape, in this case one made specifically for the Genus head. Shapes are a collection of slider numbers in the "Edit Appearance". They are designed to go with particular branded heads and bodies.

The main brands of heads available are, in order of popularity, Catwa, Genus, Lelutka, LAQ. There are smaller brands too, like GA:EG, Akeruka, Lightstar, Logo and a few more. All of them will fit e-body because neck sizes for head and bodies are standard.  When searching for these, you need to search for the actual stores themselves; anything with those names as keywords that isn't from the actual store, will be a shape.

If you want to try a free mesh head, Genus currently has one as a group gift. You can join the group for free and pick up the head either in the in-world main store, or in their group notice dated 3 April. The shape you bought is made for Genus and while it's not for that specific head, it should work well enough with the free one.

At this point, scores of newbies just flee. Just go back to IMVU or Sims and be a simple cut-out.  Beats the brain damage of trying to COMPREHEND what's going on at SL.

An intrepid newbie might try to keep at it and decide to experiment, thinking well, if shape makes me one way and skin makes me another way, maybe I should just buy this whole avatar I see here that comes with both skin and shape, and just hope that it will make me look just like that advertisement!  But it can cost $900L and with no demo!

Sooo, sooner or later another newbie tries, and another newbie buys, puts on that new avatar skin and shape.  Then, stares at it a long stunned moment; then logs out and never comes back. 

Something very simple, clear, methodical, and step by step, with examples and COMPREHENSIVE bottoms-up approach seems to be missing in the informational link between SL and the new arrival who wants to enter our "world." 

I can't create that informational Youtube but someone else should and maybe an SL blogger would try.  I know, there are scores of various Youtubes from over the last decade all with a bit of info here, and a bit of different info over there... and almost all are incomplete and leave a new arrival who knows nothing with more questions than answers, again! 

And so still, the brand new Second Life arrival remains confused.  What a failing.

Edited by Lancewae Barrowstone
fixed typo
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.