When it come to survival men are the weaker sex. FACT

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

You aint gonna hear me contradict you on that, Selene :)

As a species we are "adapted" to taking control of our environment as much as possible. So far, we've been fortunate enough that we haven't fouled that up to the point of an exctinction-level "oops"

You want to give odds on that state of affairs continuing? I sure don't.

And as for the "preceding" social organization, which one had you in mind? Misogynistic medieval or Matrilineal celtic? Victorian-European that combined elements of both? Or going further back the Roman system where the paterfamilias effectively owned everyone in their household? Or its descendant in the modern latin culture where even the man of the house lives in fear of "La Chancla"from mom?

ETA: In my list of examples I explicitly excluded examples from the Masai or from other African cultures where the feminine role is much more powerful than it may at first seem, because while these cultures were imported to America, which was the continent you cited, they were viciously suppressed there.The dominant culture in America has always been European - albeit modified by local adaptions -  and while it is slowly coming to terms with inputs from other continents it could not be considered "mature" in that respect. Not even with the penetrance of Asian culture in HI.

I'm not a betting kind of person. lol

All of the above and further back.

Re: ETA  There were matrilineal societies in the Americas long before anything was brought over. My own people being one example. At least we were before the European invasion. Many of the different tribes were matrilineal. So, no, the dominant culture has not always been European since indigenous peoples occupied the continent for well over 10,000 years prior to. Dominant cultures would be ones like Cahokia (moundbuilders), the Anasazi, Aztec, Mayan, Inca, etc. Granted those particular societies were patrilineal for the most part, but my point is they were the dominant cultures before the European one.

21 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

FIFY!

Are you positing men are dropping faster than women due to climate change?

Perhaps so, but it would be the last explaination I would consider. 

We, as humans, die.  Men are the weaker sex in this reality.  Climate change should kill us all equally (so they say).

Edited by Storm Clarence

12 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

stress greatly lowers the efficiency of the immune system. Most men have to endure years of yelling and bitching and pitching a fit by the wife. So wives are killing  their men... 😂

Who are you?  Rodney Dangerfield?

Although I found some humor in the Thai government asking their female citizens to not nag their husbands as much during this quarantine.  Go figure. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/3/2020 at 2:44 PM, Storm Clarence said:

It’s still early, but in almost every country that we have numbers, more men than women are dying from the virus.  What is being overlooked in some of the explanations given is when it comes to coronavirus taking a disproportionate toll on men is that this is not an anomaly.  

“This innate biological advantage is apparent at every age and stage of human life: Baby girls are consistently more likely to make it to their first birthday; 80 percent of all centenarians today are women; an incredible 95 percent of those who reach the formidable age of 110 years old are women. While on average genetic males have more muscle mass and greater height, overall size, and physical strength, when it comes to surviving the physical hardships encountered from birth to late-in-life, genetic females almost always outlast genetic males.”

I am not a doctor or any other type of health care professional, I am just a man.  It seems like I can run but I cannot hide. 

Here's another data point:

When my infant daughter was born prematurely and put in an NICU, the pediatricians, who happened to be African American, told me the following:

a) African American premature baby girls have the best chance of surviving

b) Caucasian premature baby girls have the next best chance of surviving

c) African American premature baby boys have the next best change of surviving

d) Caucasian premature baby boys have the worst chance of surviving

They may have told me the chances for Hispanic premature babies but I just don't recall them -- I think they were worse than blacks as I recall.

So the hardiest little tiny babies are black females who have had generations to develop hardy genes. The white boys have the worst chance. 

Even so, my daughter, the smallest baby born alive who survived for more than 48 hours in the hospital's history (she had Russian and Irish genes) died at one month's of age because it's hard to get out of the NICU alive and unharmed. Today, they do a lot more for such babies but it's still a lottery.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/4/2020 at 7:39 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

Even so, my daughter, the smallest baby born alive who survived for more than 48 hours in the hospital's history (she had Russian and Irish genes) died at one month's of age because it's hard to get out of the NICU alive and unharmed. Today, they do a lot more for such babies but it's still a lottery.

My condolences for such a painful loss in your life Prok, no parent should have to go through that.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.