Pamela Galli

Scientific Data on Covid

No, and don't change the subject.  What makes you think this yahoo knows anything?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Yeah, Lindal's right.  Don't get involved in that.

And you are who?

Edited by Shansi Kenin

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

No, and don't change the subject.  What makes you think this yahoo knows anything?

I believe my government starts baseless wars like Iraq & Libya that kills millions of children, So i know they can lie about anything else or just exaggerate things for an agenda.

2 minutes ago, Shansi Kenin said:

Yeah, i am sure i would sleep better at night on her opinions. " you believe this fat, inarticulate, non-MD?"   she is being so non-discriminatory.

Okay, you're right...she didn't need to go there...but I took it more towards "venting" at the article rather than an actual person...but this is not a time to get into nit-picking either.

Although she did ask you another question.  

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Although she did ask you another question.  

AFK

Edited by Shansi Kenin
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

But you didn't know any of this, did you?

How arrogant of you to presume. 

15 minutes ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

I gotta tell you, that says more about you than you realize.

Right back at you.

• Like 1

Just now, Shansi Kenin said:

Are you the left sock or the right one?

Sorry didn't mean to step on any toes there.  Sorry.

I am neither sock.  And, if you meant politics...I don't want any involvement with politics in any way shape or form and that is my right.  I think they all lie about stuff all over the world is my main reason.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I am neither sock.  And, if you meant politics...I don't want any involvement with politics in any way shape or form and that is my right.  I think they all lie about stuff all over the world is my main reason.  

You are not the only one.  It's great to be intellectually free, isn't it?  We get to observe, think, decide, for ourselves.  I suppose we are standing outside the congregation, smelling the Spring flowers and observing the sun warming the bees, while all those loud voices rise inside where the commonly decided text is recited through great hymns to the rafters. Excuse me, I'll move a little further away over here...

Thank you, Madelaine.  And yes, I fully expect the USA to pull some magic rabbits right outa the hat, because unlike China, we are an open, intellectual society and many such irons are IN THE FIRE right now.  Better treatments are about to be spawned as well as preventatives.  I expect we will be proud of this nation in this year.  Sure, I could be wrong, but I'm just reading the tea leaves.  Let fate bring on the rest. 

22 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

But, regarding medicine.  We need medicine and we don't have time for clinical trials with over a thousand dying a day in the U.S.  Does anyone know of or heard of any other medicines that may be hopeful in this horrific situation?  

Not really in the current timeframe. I mean, there's not much reason to hope the hydroxychloroquine cocktails are better than taking two aspirin -- the early "studies" are so flawed, and the ones that are a little better are still tiny and show either no effect or a very modest effect. At the same time, it's being widely used in NYC hospitals as a kind of desperate trial -- and the results are obviously not miraculous.

There are promising antivirals like Galidesivir, Umifenovir, Remdesivir, and really a host of others, but none are really off-the-shelf for this purpose. There are also drugs that target the auto-immune response that seems to lead to much of the morbidity. And lots of stuff way earlier in the research pipeline.

I blame pharma. They took lots of money from us for drug profits and used it for CEO bonuses and shareholder dividends, all the while bragging on how much research they're doing and how that justifies the drug costs. Instead, they should have had general-purpose anti-virals proven and stockpiled ready for this, and a way to generate effective targeted drugs as soon as the RNA was sequenced. The profit motive only works when profit is contingent on producing value. What would be of most value now, and why don't we have it available?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Maddy, regarding the anti-parasitic drug, is there any possibility this came from a parasite from the bats or other Chinese farmed animals that were taken to slaughter at the Wuhen Marketplace?  Aka, the "wet markets".  

Edited by FairreLilette

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Maddy, regarding the anti-parasitic drug, is there any possibility this came from a parasite from the bats or other Chinese farmed animals that were taken to slaughter at the Wuyen Marketplace?  Aka, the "wet markets".  

I don't know the etiology of Ivermectin, so I can't answer that. Antiparasitics, antiviral, antibiotic, etc drugs derive from need, and those needs are usually first expressed in poverty stricken areas with poor hygiene and rudimentary food distribution systems. It may well be that whatever Ivermectin does to ward off parasites is somehow related to its SARS-CoV-2 antiviral properties. It might also be a happy accident.

Regarding wet markets, while they're certainly a vector for transmission of zoonoses, we're also inviting more contact with other species via destruction of their habitats. We needn't invite bats into our homes in bowls of soup to risk our health. If they set up shop in our eaves because we've bulldozed their habitat, they're gonna make us sick.

There's so much information flooding into view because of COVID-19 that I can't possibly keep up. I can only hope that, when the dust begins to clear, we are able to learn something from all of this.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

Closing the thread as it has gotten off topic and become a back and forth about political views.

I hope everyone is staying safe and having a good weekend!

• Thanks 8