Scientific Data on Covid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Beth Macbain said:

You left that one wide open... I couldn't resist!

Besides, the baby is cute! 😋

Granted!  (It is so nice to have an actual conversation with you, Beth.  Even though we are on completely opposite sides of the political spectrum, I like you!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I felt Trump's stupidity would prevent him from doing too much damage, because he'd be outflanked by smart opponents in Congress and the agencies.

being outflanked by stupid political colleagues

recent example of stupid in New Zealand

Health Minister David Clark.  After days and days of standing next to the Prime Minister Jacinda Arden at the public conavirus briefings, where the Prime Minister is urging safe practices and stay home, Mr Clark decided to put his bike in a van emblazoned with his name on it, and drive to the mountains and go for a bike ride. Which made a lot of the population wonder about Mr Clark's state of stupid. Large swathes of the public and media demanding the Minister be sacked. The Prime Minister left gnashing her teeth quietly to herself at being outflanked by the stupid of her Health Minister

Broadcasting Minister Kris Faafoi.  Bauer, a German magazine publishing company, had over a number of years bought ownership of many historically iconic NZ print magazines - like the Listener and Womans Weekly among quite a few others.  The print magazine industry is fading, Bauer had been struggling to turn a profit on these iconic print magazines for a while now.  Coronavirus was the final tipping point for Bauer.  Bauer decided to close them all, give all the staff 3 months notice with pay, honour existing staff redundancy agreements, pay all suppliers and bills, and exit the NZ market

massive uproar in the media over the next 48 hours. Bauer attacked as cruel foreigners for putting people out of work. The government attacked as incompetent for allowing foreigners to scoop up iconic ownerships. Foreigners not understanding / not caring about the historical importance to NZ of the content/narratives in these iconic magazines. Yada yada

after some hours of this, a Bauer representative coughed discreetly in that polite german way. And mentioned publicly that in their explanation letter to the Broadcasting Minister, they (Bauer) had offered to sell all of the print copyrights ever published to the Crown for the sum of $1, turning them over to the NZ people because Bauer understood what doing so would mean for the people of NZ

an offer that the Minister, Mr Faafoi, failed to mention to anyone, including the Prime Minister, when he freaked out at the closures and ran with the news. The next 48 hours of media after Bauer had coughed discreetly, now attacking the Minister demanding he be sacked for incompetence. The Prime Minister left to quietly gnaw her foot off at the stupid of her Broadcasting Minister

Which may just go to show that there are NO smart people in politics!

Even Congress recognized this.  One Congressman said, "The human brain is a wonderful thing.  It starts working in the womb, and doesn't stop until you get elected to Congress."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On the contrary, there are many brilliant, honest, patriotic, heroic, deeply moral people in Congress, working constantly to save our democracy. The impeachment was not a circus, but a battle brilliantly executed in the name of truth and justice. 

But there are a lot of others with blood on their hands. And they are fine with it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

On the contrary, there are many brilliant, honest, patriotic, heroic, deeply moral people in Congress, working constantly to save our democracy

i agree. Most people elected are good people and do good work.  Is just the few that do stupid. Which is not always exclusive to the terminally stupid

otherwise intelligent and calm people can also do stupid when under pressure. Is just a bit frustrating sometimes when it happens

• Like 1

Just now, Pamela Galli said:

It is indeed bending most places. Not in the US, still going up with a bullet.

Yes, and that's why no way am I leaving my house for the next week or 2!  Birx even said not to yesterday, which surprised me. Thank God for Birx and Fauci.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Twitter is trending with #Fire Fauci

Are these the right-wingers who are angry because Fauci corrects Trump in public?  I remember hearing he needs more security now.

* Looked it up...seems like 4chan guys paranoid about deep state stuff. I guess they've moved from Pelosi to Fauci for now...lol.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Confused 1

In the US, it's hard to talk COVID-19 science without talking politics.

Impeachment may be off the table and while in office he's immune from criminal charges, but hawking snakeoil without a license is grounds for civil suits, and the damages may be enormous. All that hydroxy-/chloroquine being diverted to uses for which it's apt to do a lot more harm than good, and he openly urged folks to "just try it," "what have you got to lose?" However many billions he's actually got, it won't be nearly enough.

One thing that mystifies me is the "flu" terminology that keeps echoing in right-wing circles. They desperately want this thing to be just like the flu, even want to call it the "Wuhan flu" when it's not the "Chinese virus." Of course it's technically not influenza at all (and much worse in nearly every way), and yet there are states that seem to think they'll be safe from this because they're more remote than the coasts -- as if the flu doesn't pass through all those communities every year. Maybe a month later than the coasts, but every year. If they think it's like the flu, and it's filling reefer trailers with corpses in NYC, how could they imagine they'll be spared.

Iowa, I'm looking at you. The flu spreads through the state every year - despite vaccine. The media age is about the same as New York's. Lots of rural and small town population between ventilators. This will not go well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Not going there.  Nope.

Let's talk about coronavirus instead...it's something we can all agree on, more or less.

Not all of us are being hoodwinked.

Edited by Shansi Kenin
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

In the US, it's hard to talk COVID-19 science without talking politics.

Impeachment may be off the table and while in office he's immune from criminal charges, but hawking snakeoil without a license is grounds for civil suits, and the damages may be enormous. All that hydroxy-/chloroquine being diverted to uses for which it's apt to do a lot more harm than good, and he openly urged folks to "just try it," "what have you got to lose?" However many billions he's actually got, it won't be nearly enough.

Qie, I'm not a political person.  I don't get involved in politics because I view politicians as "talking heads"...there are very rich and powerful people in the shadows pulling strings whom we don't know their name nor their face.  I mentioned my feeling about it and that's really all it was a "feeling" because it struck me very peculiarly that a president would say and/or do what he did. 

Now I'm later finding out 3M is accused of possibly being involved in "scalping"...meaning selling masks to the highest bidder and even as much of as at a 700% mark up though 3M denies this.  The CIA has been cracking down on horders looking to profit.  I saw a photo of one of the boxes a horder had and the masks (the N95's) weren't even in plastic and they were dirty.  Boxes of hand sanitizers and gowns and all kinds of things are being intercepted by the CIA and others because some are trying to profit and in unclean ways too boot.

But, regarding medicine.  We need medicine and we don't have time for clinical trials with over a thousand dying a day in the U.S.  Does anyone know of or heard of any other medicines that may be hopeful in this horrific situation?  

Edited by FairreLilette

Whoa.. the political haymakers are flying in here!  And lots of media-fed "experts" seem at large.

You might rather ask yourself, when the first Corona virus case hit a state in the USA, did the governor of that state consider a lock down of the major city where it popped up, in order to protect the citizens of the state at large? We might never know, but we do know that such a thing will include a myriad layering of complicated overlying contexts.  And at that early stage you would have seen riots in the streets, people faced with jobs shut down, commerce coming to a halt, grocery buying panic, local economies collapsing, school kids stuck home, etc.  All the things that happened later.

Everyone wants the easy answer, but it ain't there, and certainly not just because mainstream media, or one oppositional party, says it is.  Did you know that Alabama only just NOW has finally declared a state emergency and called for staying at home?  Where they been, you might ask? Well, we are a nation of sovereign individual states (a UNITED states).  Those are our government!  The Federal branch has a few overarching limited and stated powers to regulate interstate affairs toward openness and fairness according to Constitutional principles and national peace. The Federal government is not your saviour, that's your local community, your town, your state! 

A Cleveland newspaper asked just yesterday, why Michigan's coronavirues cases have soared 4 times higher than their neighboring state of Ohio. It makes an interesting question and with many answers. Michigan (with 10 million people) has 5 times more corona deaths now than Ohio (with 11.7 million).  All the national media attention on the federal government is just the same old political football game that actually just keeps Americans comfortably ignorant and easily misled.  Michigan's answer to the question is to say it's because they are testing more, and that boosts the numbers. But as Cleveland.com reports, Michigan's response:

"'I guarantee you the Detroit positives will continue to grow because we are doing far more tests than anybody else.'  But data doesn't bear out this argument.  As of Thursday, more tests have been processed in Ohio than in Michigan according to COVID19tracking.com, which aggregates testing data."

But you didn't know any of this, did you?

And you may remember just a few weeks back that progressive icon of the country, Austin, Texas, claimed there was no reason NOT to hold their annual SxSW festival in spite of the COVID-19 fears, and so all the world was invited to come party again this year.  This was so internationally embarrassing for a supposedly intellectual leader, that within 2 days that city did an abrupt about-face and slammed the city gates dis-inviting the original invite.  I'm sure everyone in Austin, Texas however, is talking about how everything is Trump's fault too. That's just the easy narrative for a sheep herd fed a the common trough.  

I gotta tell you, that says more about you than you realize.

Edited by Lancewae Barrowstone
faulty keyboard, yeah... that's why
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

And you believe this fat, inarticulate, non-MD?  Please, Shansi.  Find out the FACTS, not the conspiracy theories.

Yeah, Lindal's right.  Don't get involved in that.  This is real until proven otherwise.  Our country would not just shut down like this.  

• Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.