Forum Consolidation

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Wildcat Furse wrote:

for all the lonely hearts in second life ........ would
DATING
be an idea as category? *meows*

(mhhh .. CAT ... EGORY .... /me laughs :smileyvery-happy:)

Great Idea.  The fora oligarchy can charge $L1 per word.  Success!  I would like to be the moderator of that CAT-egory: we don't want Blondin to have all the fun now, do we?

*meows 

Storm Clarence wrote:

After reading the meeting minutes may I suggest: destinations/sports/leisure

As SL sports are a destination, sailing/yachting/bumpercars are leisure destinations.  

No! Leave sports alone, they're slowly getting some vsibility!

In reality sports should be in some sort of recreation or lesiure forum, possibly with music/entertainment but the taglines are important, the sports forums is very slowly getting noticed.

I'd say that urgent intervention is required. You can actually "hear" the death-rattle in here. I did a quick count of the posts on the first page of the category this thread is in  - it's around 200-ish total - spread over a pageful of topics. Is it just my nostalgic imagination or didn't most half-interesting threads easily tally up a couple of hundred posts each??

I doubt that simply tidying up the mess of catogories, sub-categories and sub-sub-categories will be sufficient to resuscitate the poor, dying creature, but it'd be a start.

agree_smiley.gifModeration is the other issue, or at least an other issue. It's gotten to the point that it's virtually pointless to even try to have a decent discussion here. The very moment there's a disagreement and someone shows the least bit of attitude posts are being redacted or completely wiped out. I do think threads that deteriorate into verbal fist fights should be frozen (with a post from the moderator as to why), but only as a last resort. Frozen, not erased.

This attempt to keep the forums squeaky clean has scrubbed off any sense of character it could have had. Who wants to spent time in a bleach inundated, stark white room with no place to sit down and get comfortable? But I suppose this really isn't the thread for this discussion.

I'd suggest starting a thread about the moderation, but what would be the point? Have any of the other ones done much good?

...Dres

PS. The decision to create an off topic forum to use as a general discuss forum, instead of having an actual GD forum (like most of us wanted from the start) was just ridiculous imo. It should be relegated to threads that, indeed, go off topic... a place that moderators can send people to when a thread goes astray. Basically a garbage dump... instead, we have a forum that's slowly turning into a social wasteland.

ETA: a short sentence.

This may have been brought up before...

Where does Art and Photography belong in a restructuring of the forums? It is under 'Content creation' and contains both tips and tricks, best practices, instructions for taking pictures, and also quite a few threads where showing pictures is the main point. The category does also not have a huge amount of threads. Would a broader category, perhaps called 'Art', be an idea? Which could also contain what is now in the Machinima category?

- Luc -

WADE1 Jya wrote:

I think this forum is also badly in need of a kind of anything goes area, where we could just have threads of endless lolcats, silly games & stuff like that.

:smileyvery-happy: We have one thread like this, Wade! Hippie created it on March 3rd when the new forum was launched. As of today, 67 pages of anything(s), including lolcats! :smileytongue:

http://secondlife.lithium.com/t5/Make-Friends/Where-are-all-my-friends-Come-on-in-and-lets-get-comfy-by-the/m-p/888515#M3337

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.