Forum Consolidation

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

May I take this opportunity to propose to the community a consolidation of the forum headings.

I would like to get everyones input and place this as an agenda item for the upcoming CTUG.

Here is my proposal:

SECOND LIFE PEOPLE

• Your Avatar
  • Lifestyles and Relationships
  • Make Friends
  • Fashion

SECOND LIFE PLACES

• Destinations / Role Play
  • Music and Entertainment / Events
  • Sports
  • Mainland

SECOND LIFE THINGS

• Mainland
  • Off Topic
  • Forum/Blogs/Community/Answers Feedback

In my opinion this format may allow people to navigate the forum clutter with a little less difficulty.  

Any suggestions?

Yes, Q&A with sub categories was what I was implying.

I am a little tired from work today.  I recently had to move back to the main campus permanently.  This is where the money is and it is where the managers are but I swear it is like working for morons who use a different meaning for everything in an attempt to obfuscate there lack of common sense.  "Leveraged Enterprise Services."  Yes, I know what that means but anyone outside of the organization could not tell you what, exactly, they do.  The people that come up with these titles can not answer their emails if someone moves the icon on their desktop.  I kid you not, I just had one call my tech because they "just knocked the plug out of the wall an now the printer does not work."  Did they plug it back in? No.  Why? They were not sure it went into that receptacle.  There were two others right next to it.  Electrical plugs.  Just like everyone has in their house.

So maybe I am missing the blue collar atmosphere of my old office and I diffidently miss the people at the old office.

So what I would actually like to see is the Q&A area displayed prominently and up near the top.  When people come on for the first time looking for answers, they can see the place to ask quick questions right there when they come in written in large friendly letters. Don't Panic.  Or something like that.

Hmm, Second Life Things seems completely out of whack. I'd never look there for any of the subtopics you list. Nor would I look for Music in Second Life Places. Blinks. You have Mainland listed twice. Apologies for sounding grumpy, but that is about the worst taxonomy I can imagine.

Well, if i had my choice,  fashion would be (re?)absorbed into 'My Avatar' and music & entertainment would be filed under 'Events', along with sports. 

At the very least i'd recommend eliminating the sports sub-category.  It seems such a niche interest (in SL).  I mean, why sports, especially?  May as well have a category for, i dunno... SL modeling or Tinies.  It just seems silly to me.

Favourite destinations should simply be called 'Destinations'.  I think it could be opened out a bit, but not sure how.

Not sure about the Mainland sub-forum.  Part of me wants it kicked; part of me doesn't.  Mainland has the fabulous long roads and the airspace, but half of us don't live on it so why have a whole category devoted to it? 

Those are my initial thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em.  I'm sure we all have different ideas about what we'd like to see here.

Yeah any type of consolidation would be cool, there is too many sub-topics that I always feel I'm posting in the wrong place

and... maybe... I... am? :matte-motes-confused:

I think this forum is also badly in need of a kind of anything goes area, where we could just have threads of endless lolcats, silly games & stuff like that.

I totally agree that there are too many sub forums.  I have been saying this for just about as long as we've been fed all these lithium drugs.

I think your proposal is as good as any I have heard.

The bottom line is that we are having to open too many web pages or tabs to find content.  It is tedious, overly time consuming and in the big picture people are missing out on a lot of good content simply because we are having to drill down to far in order to find it.

This is in serious need of fixing.  I am an active participant here and it is driving me crazy.  Just how lost must a new user feel?

squashy Beeswing wrote:

Well, if i had my choice,  fashion would be (re?)absorbed into 'My Avatar' and music & entertainment would be filed under 'Events', along with sports. 

Squashy, I agree completely with these suggestions as a starting point. These are exactly the ones I would have singled out for consolidation, too.

Here's my idea, merge:

Your Avatar/Fashion into Your Avatar

Favorite Destinations/Mainland into Your World

Make Friends/Lifestyles and Relationships/Roleplay into Your Community

Events/Music and Entertainment/Sports into Your Entertainment or Your Events

Then change:

Forums, Blogs, Answers and Knowledge Base Feedback into Your Criticism

Off Topic into Your Off Topic (and don't matter)

Okay, the last two were a joke. But you get the idea... that cuts them down by half.

...Dres

Storm Clarence wrote:

May I take this opportunity to propose to the community a consolidation of the forum headings.

I would like to get everyones input and place this as an agenda item for the upcoming CTUG.

Here is my proposal:

SECOND LIFE PEOPLE
  • Your Avatar
  • Lifestyles and Relationships
  • Make Friends
  • Fashion

SECOND LIFE PLACES
  • Destinations / Role Play
  • Music and Entertainment / Events
  • Sports
  • Mainland

SECOND LIFE THINGS
  • Mainland
  • Off Topic
  • Forum/Blogs/Community/Answers Feedback

In my opinion this format may allow people to navigate the forum clutter with a little less difficulty.  

Any suggestions?

I agree that we need to consolidate some of the sub-forums.  I don't know if we want to do a total restructure though.  I like the feedback in this thread.  Keep it coming please! 

Wildcat Furse wrote:

excellent idea Storm!!!... Lexie can I also propose to block 'buy/sell land and commerce threads' from appearing in
'Recently Created Threads', a forum is a place to discuss topics not to be used for SPAM, I will bring it up @CTUG....*meows*

YES!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

@Storm. Restructuring and consolidating sounds like a good idea. Are you thinking the three categories - people, places, things - as replacements for *all* the categories we have today? If so, 'Things' (which might not be the most specific term to use as a category) should include anything that is under 'content creation' today. Like Mesh and building. Perhaps 'Second Life creation' is a usable term.

Also 'Fashion' could be placed in the creation category depending on how you look at it, but I agree with the ones that suggest placing it under 'Avatar'.

Events should, as suggested, have its own category, I think.

Where do we put what is Technology today? (Basically, I think a few more categories are needed...)

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.