Make Us Laugh!

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

And a two-word historical novel:

"Stuff happened."

Now that I have posted the text of a hypothetical novel, I am reminded of my favorite Jane Smiley novel, The Greenlanders. In writing it, she took great pains to adopt the style of the old Norse eddas. That meant devoting long passages to describing the land and hardships that the people endured (weather, starvation, illness...) but relatively little time to the sort of saber rattling detail that we usually associate with fight scenes in modern novels. (It now occurs to me that Laxness did the same sort of thing in writing Independent People, which won the Nobel Prize in literature in 1955).  At any rate, I remember reading one of those long expository sections about a particularly hard winter and almost missing the one-line paragraph that I recall as, "And then Bjorn slew Hraldar." A character dispatched with almost no fanfare. Ho-hum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Now that I have posted the text of a hypothetical novel, I am reminded of my favorite Jane Smiley novel, The Greenlanders. In writing it, she took great pains to adopt the style of the old Norse eddas. That meant devoting long passages to describing the land and hardships that the people endured (weather, starvation, illness...) but relatively little time to the sort of saber rattling detail that we usually associate with fight scenes in modern novels. (It now occurs to me that Laxness did the same sort of thing in writing Independent People, which won the Nobel Prize in literature in 1955).  At any rate, I remember reading one of those long expository sections about a particularly hard winter and almost missing the one-line paragraph that I recall as, "And then Bjorn slew Hraldar." A character dispatched with almost no fanfare. Ho-hum.

My guess, Jane was a Hraldar fan.

There was a man who entered a local newspaper's pun contest. 
He sent in ten different puns--maybe one of the puns would win. Unfortunately, no pun in ten did.

You know what sucks about being an agnostic dyslexic insomniac? 
You end up staying awake all night wondering if there is a dog

What does a nosey pepper do? 
Gets jalapeño business. 

Two reddit moderators walk into a bar 
[removed]

• Like 1
  • Haha 8