Make Us Laugh!

I was out running errands in my new Miata recently, listening to a Hidden Brain podcast interview with cognitive scientist Sian Beilock titled "Stage Fright". The subject was the psychology of crumbling under pressure. It started with the story of Australian Olympic swimmer Cate Campbell. Two bronze in 2008, gold in 2012. A month before the 2016 Olympics, she broke the world record. At Rio, the world watched what might have been the greatest "choke" in Olympic history. She started out strong and fizzled, placing 6th. Thinking she'd jumped the gun and would be disqualified, the thought ate her alive.

I was sitting at a stop light as the story unfolded, and was thoroughly engrossed.

The light turned green.

A honk from behind snapped me to attention.

I calmly threw the car into reverse and let out the clutch.

Another honk.

No worries.I've always been absent-minded. I've done this before. I got this!

Even more calmly, I threw the car into 3rd, let out the clutch and killed the engine.

I started laughing as restarted the engine, hunted for first, and eventually lurched into the intersection.

I felt like an Olympic athlete.

Cate and her medley relay team just won gold in Tokyo.

There's hope for me yet.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Last Wednesday a passenger in a taxi heading
for Midway airport, leaned over to ask the driver
a question and gently tapped him on the shoulder
to get his attention.

The driver screamed, lost control of the cab,
nearly hit a bus, drove up over the curb and
stopped just inches from a large plate window.

For a few moments everything was silent in the
cab. Then, the shaking driver said, "Are you OK?
I'm so sorry, but you scared the daylights out of
me."

The badly shaken passenger apologized to the
driver and said, "I didn't realize that a mere tap
on the shoulder would startle someone so
badly."

The driver replied, "No, no, I'm the one who is
sorry, it's entirely my fault. Today is my very first
day driving a cab. I've been driving a hearse for
25 years."

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Velk Kerang said:

Poor Kermit. lol I don't know whether to laugh or cry that we may possibly have a future little Micheal Myers serial killer in the making. lol🤦‍♂️😎

I have three boys.. That's pretty typical boys stuff there.. hehehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I have three boys.. That's pretty typical boys stuff there.. hehehehe

Oh I can totally relate. I don't entirely disagree. lol That is the typical Mom response I've come to know and love. lol I got four grandsons that lived with me when they were growing up and every time I caught them doing something like that I'd mess with them and be like stop it. Ain't gonna be no future serial killers up in this house. lol I'll lock ya'll in a padded room and you won't be allowed around no pets. lol Then I'll go up front and ask do you know what they are back there doing? The response I get. Oh that's just typical boy stuff. My response. It ain't no typical boy stuff I ever did. lol Gonna have me sleeping with one eye open in this house because ya'll are crazy. lol😎

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Velk Kerang said:

Oh I can totally relate. I don't entirely disagree. lol That is the typical Mom response I've come to know and love. lol I got four grandsons that lived with me when they were growing up and every time I caught them doing something like that I'd mess with them and be like stop it. Ain't gonna be no future serial killers up in this house. lol I'll lock ya'll in a padded room and you won't be allowed around no pets. lol Then I'll go up front and ask do you know what they are back there doing? The response I get. Oh that's just typical boy stuff. My response. It ain't no typical boy stuff I ever did. lol Gonna have me sleeping with one eye open in this house because ya'll are crazy. lol😎

My boys are outsiders.. About the only time they are in the house during the day, is when they are in trouble. That or meal times.. hehehe

If they are in the house and can't go out, They get bored and inventive.. It's usually with their little brothers stuff too.. hehehe

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

My boys are outsiders.. About the only time they are in the house during the day, is when they are in trouble. That or meal times.. hehehe

If they are in the house and can't go out, They get bored and inventive.. It's usually with their little brothers stuff too.. hehehe

Ya that sounds about right on my end too. lol It's usually when they aren't allowed to go outside. lol Unfortunately there are those times that their punishment also becomes my punishment. So I have to sometimes depending on what it is they got punished for go take a bullet and advocate on their behalf and go up front and ask are we all done being punished yet? lol🤣😎

So I decided to cut down on caffeine a couple weeks ago. I still have my occasional morning cup of coffee but throughout the rest of the day I wanted to eliminate it completely. A few of my Asian friends like Ito En. A green tea cold drink. I've had green tea before and know it has caffeine but I thought Ito En was a green tea "flavored" drink.

I read the back and the label says a lot of good things like 0 fat, 0 sugars and less than 1g of carbs which is good for another "thing" I am trying, keto. But it doesn't say anything about caffeine so I think I am good.

I really like the taste of it and it is super refreshing on a hot summer day especially when the drink is chilled. So I loaded up my fridge with them and have been drinking them throughout the day and evenings, every day for the past few days feeling very good about myself.

The last three or so nights I found myself tossing and turning and struggling to fall asleep and when I did fall asleep I'd have a hard time staying asleep and end up  having a series broken sleep all night. Well this morning upon waking up very early for my standards on an off day and being wide awake, mind racing after another night of broken sleep I looked at the label again and it still does not say it has caffeine.

So I decided to sit at my computer and google it.. On its website Ito En says it has 60g of caffeine per 16.9 fl oz (essentially a half to 2/3rds a cup of coffee's worth of caffeine). I looked at the bottle again and sure enough, it's 16.9 oz.  I looked up to see if it was required to list caffeine content in drinks and (at least in the US) it is not! I've been drinking these throughout the day, every day since the day I decided to quit caffeine!..

What actually happened is I ended up drinking MORE caffeine than I was before. I remember feeling this way back in college and banging out essays and homework and or researching due to some other "substance" known as the "study drug" that I shall not mention. xD.

Edited by Finite
  • Haha 1

So I just found out that one of my favourite comedians passed away. There's a lot of funny and entertaining people out there, but Sean Lock could make me rip my sides out completely and double over so that I'd smash my forehead against my desk like few others.

Unfortunately some of his all-time bests wouldn't fly on the forums, but in tribute, here are some of my favourite quotes and exchanges of his that I may share.

Jimmy Carr: "Do you ever show your sensitive side?"
   Sean: "Ye-- I've shown it twice. Once to my wife .. And another time, I slowed down for a horse."

Jimmy Carr: "Do you think British people judge others on their accent?"
   Sean Lock: "I judge people long before they’ve opened their mouths."

"A thing a lot of people don’t know about me: I’m incredibly organised. For example, if I make tea, I don’t make one cup of tea – I make a big batch of tea. I’ll have a cup of tea and then I’ll freeze the rest of it. And then when I want to have a cup of tea, I’ll just break off a bit of frozen tea and put it in a pan. 25 minutes later I’ve got a lovely cup of tea without all the hassle."

He was once asked what he'd want his obituary to say, his response was: "I don’t care, I’ll be dead. Ideally, I’d like it just to say ‘NOOOOOOOOO! WHYYYYYY? NOOOOOOO! AHHHH! You can’t write tears."

PRC_195249576.jpg?quality=90&strip=all