Frigga Freidman

SL 6.3.8.538264 install problem

I'm surprised to see no other comments here about today's installer release SL 6.3.8.538264 - I've tried downloading and installing it from the viewer login page and from the link on the web site with the same result. And the previous viewer that I'd been using yesterday no longer works either. Does anyone know if LL is aware of this? Is there a place I should be reporting it officially? Thanks.

SLproblem1.JPG

SLproblem.JPG

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Frigga Freidman said:

I'm surprised to see no other comments here about today's installer release SL 6.3.8.538264 - I've tried downloading and installing it from the viewer login page and from the link on the web site with the same result. And the previous viewer that I'd been using yesterday no longer works either. Does anyone know if LL is aware of this? Is there a place I should be reporting it officially? Thanks.

I installed this version on the 18th without any issues and it runs fine. Your second screenshot suggests that either your firewall and/or antivirus program has blocked the dullahan plugin (used for media and web services). You'll want to do another install, disable whatever your AV program is temporarily until the installation is complete, then add the viewer components as exceptions (whitelist). Once that is complete, enable your AV program again, and reboot your PC. You may need to Google your particular AV program if you don't know how to add exclusions. 

If you need any further detailed help, I suggest you contact LL Support  https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new  

Edited to add, components to add as exclusions:

Windows: inside the viewer install folder --

The viewer itself (firestorm.exe), slplugin.exe, slvoice.exe and

dullahan_host.exe (inside llplugin folder)

Edited by Willow Wilder

28 minutes ago, Willow Wilder said:

I installed this version on the 18th without any issues and it runs fine. Your second screenshot suggests that either your firewall and/or antivirus program has blocked the dullahan plugin (used for media and web services). You'll want to do another install, disable whatever your AV program is temporarily until the installation is complete, then add the viewer components as exceptions (whitelist). Once that is complete, enable your AV program again, and reboot your PC. You may need to Google your particular AV program if you don't know how to add exclusions. 

If you need any further detailed help, I suggest you contact LL Support  https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new  

Edited to add, components to add as exclusions:

Windows: inside the viewer install folder --

The viewer itself (firestorm.exe), slplugin.exe, slvoice.exe and

dullahan_host.exe (inside llplugin folder)

Thanks, Willow. I've never had a problem before with this machine/set-up. Will take a look later and report back. (This did prompt me to install Firestorm for the first time, though, so may have a play with it to see if there's a real reason to pursue a fix before the next viewer update.)

11 hours ago, Frigga Freidman said:

I've never had a problem before with this machine/set-up.

Antivirus programs are notorious for mangling the plugins, especially the dullahan plugin. When considering a "real reason" to pursue it, consider what it does:

Extracted from the Firestorm Wiki:

In addition to playing media, Dullahan is also used for:
Websearch
Web profiles
Built-in browser
Splash Screen when the viewer is launched
Media-based HUDs
Destination Guide
Wiki Help pages (when clicking the ? in a floater)

Many thanks for your responses, @Willow Wilder. I haven't been using my laptop since I last wrote, and just started off today deleting the multiple copies of the updated viewer from my Downloads folder, downloading it again from the downloads web page, and tried the installer 'for one last time'. The only thing that *may* have differed from previous attempts was my closing down that browser window before starting the install. It worked! So now I have two current viewers to use :)  

Usually, I install updates directly from the SL viewer screen, but got the message I originally posted when I tried that at the beginning of all this.

(.dll files were the bane of my existence with my previous Win7 desktop. Tiny things, but they can really throw a spanner in the works if they misbehave.)

• Like 1