SL 6.3.8.538264 install problem

Frigga Freidman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm surprised to see no other comments here about today's installer release SL 6.3.8.538264 - I've tried downloading and installing it from the viewer login page and from the link on the web site with the same result. And the previous viewer that I'd been using yesterday no longer works either. Does anyone know if LL is aware of this? Is there a place I should be reporting it officially? Thanks.

SLproblem1.JPG

SLproblem.JPG

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Frigga Freidman said:

I'm surprised to see no other comments here about today's installer release SL 6.3.8.538264 - I've tried downloading and installing it from the viewer login page and from the link on the web site with the same result. And the previous viewer that I'd been using yesterday no longer works either. Does anyone know if LL is aware of this? Is there a place I should be reporting it officially? Thanks.

I installed this version on the 18th without any issues and it runs fine. Your second screenshot suggests that either your firewall and/or antivirus program has blocked the dullahan plugin (used for media and web services). You'll want to do another install, disable whatever your AV program is temporarily until the installation is complete, then add the viewer components as exceptions (whitelist). Once that is complete, enable your AV program again, and reboot your PC. You may need to Google your particular AV program if you don't know how to add exclusions. 

If you need any further detailed help, I suggest you contact LL Support  https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new  

Edited to add, components to add as exclusions:

Windows: inside the viewer install folder --

The viewer itself (firestorm.exe), slplugin.exe, slvoice.exe and

dullahan_host.exe (inside llplugin folder)

Edited by Willow Wilder

28 minutes ago, Willow Wilder said:

I installed this version on the 18th without any issues and it runs fine. Your second screenshot suggests that either your firewall and/or antivirus program has blocked the dullahan plugin (used for media and web services). You'll want to do another install, disable whatever your AV program is temporarily until the installation is complete, then add the viewer components as exceptions (whitelist). Once that is complete, enable your AV program again, and reboot your PC. You may need to Google your particular AV program if you don't know how to add exclusions. 

If you need any further detailed help, I suggest you contact LL Support  https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new  

Edited to add, components to add as exclusions:

Windows: inside the viewer install folder --

The viewer itself (firestorm.exe), slplugin.exe, slvoice.exe and

dullahan_host.exe (inside llplugin folder)

Thanks, Willow. I've never had a problem before with this machine/set-up. Will take a look later and report back. (This did prompt me to install Firestorm for the first time, though, so may have a play with it to see if there's a real reason to pursue a fix before the next viewer update.)

11 hours ago, Frigga Freidman said:

I've never had a problem before with this machine/set-up.

Antivirus programs are notorious for mangling the plugins, especially the dullahan plugin. When considering a "real reason" to pursue it, consider what it does:

Extracted from the Firestorm Wiki:

In addition to playing media, Dullahan is also used for:
Websearch
Web profiles
Built-in browser
Splash Screen when the viewer is launched
Media-based HUDs
Destination Guide
Wiki Help pages (when clicking the ? in a floater)

Many thanks for your responses, @Willow Wilder. I haven't been using my laptop since I last wrote, and just started off today deleting the multiple copies of the updated viewer from my Downloads folder, downloading it again from the downloads web page, and tried the installer 'for one last time'. The only thing that *may* have differed from previous attempts was my closing down that browser window before starting the install. It worked! So now I have two current viewers to use :)  

Usually, I install updates directly from the SL viewer screen, but got the message I originally posted when I tried that at the beginning of all this.

(.dll files were the bane of my existence with my previous Win7 desktop. Tiny things, but they can really throw a spanner in the works if they misbehave.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Derarude Placebo said:

I installed SL Viewer on Mac OS X, but it won't let me open it! Something about being unable to check for malicious software. What's up with that?! Can anyone help me?

Right click or ctrl-click on it and open it. Or go to System Preferences, Security & Privacy and click "Open Anyway". 

• 3 weeks later...

Now having the same problem as I originally stated with today's forced download of SL Viewer 6.4.1.540593 - 3 attempted installs. Norton AV and Malwarebytes say that the file is clean, so I guess I'll try disabling the AV for the actual install. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Nope, dullahan still refuses to install after disabling my AV software. Looks like it's back to Firestorm.

Edited by Frigga Freidman
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ardy Lay said:

Look in task manager for dullahan instances still running and terminate them.  Then install the viewer.

Before seeing this I created a new folder in Program Files and installed the viewer there successfully. With SL open, I looked in the Task Manager and saw 2 instances of dullahan were running. But when I closed down the viewer, both disappeared from the listing. Curiouser and curiouser. 

dullahan.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've just walked through nearly the exact experience of the original poster, except my issues were with the latest mandatory update to 6.4.2.541639 (64 bit default Windows release).

Before coming to this thread, I tried uninstall reinstall, no luck

Then I tried another uninstall, and now I can't even uninstall.  And further, the contents of the folder C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer are locked.  Trying to delete or rename the folder gets me an error telling me the contents are in use, even when SL is not running.

I had to create a new installation folder and download/install the RC version 6.4.1.541204 (64bit).

I did nothing to disable my AV (Windows Defender) or Malwarebytes, but the RC installation went off without a hitch.

In summary, I found a workaround, but it's just that, a workaround.  I hope I won't have to create a new installation for every update going forward.

Edited by Daemon Davidson
misidentified OP

On 5/19/2020 at 11:20 PM, Daemon Davidson said:

I've just walked through nearly the exact experience of the original poster, except my issues were with the latest mandatory update to 6.4.2.541639 (64 bit default Windows release).

Before coming to this thread, I tried uninstall reinstall, no luck

Then I tried another uninstall, and now I can't even uninstall.  And further, the contents of the folder C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer are locked.  Trying to delete or rename the folder gets me an error telling me the contents are in use, even when SL is not running.

I had to create a new installation folder and download/install the RC version 6.4.1.541204 (64bit).

I did nothing to disable my AV (Windows Defender) or Malwarebytes, but the RC installation went off without a hitch.

In summary, I found a workaround, but it's just that, a workaround.  I hope I won't have to create a new installation for every update going forward.

I was the OP; the problem didn't occur with an update between the two that I reported here. If it happens with the next update, I'll report it here and then consider whether it's worth pursuing with LL via a ticket. (Note: it's only been an issue with my Win 8.1 laptop, not my Win10 desktop.)

• Thanks 1

I was "offered" an update to my RC install.  I accepted it, but pointed the updated code at my original SL directory.  

The update seemed to go smoothly until near the end, when I got an error about dullahan host (please accept spelling errors) "Abort, Retry, Skip"

With that dialogue still active, I went to my MalwareBytes dashboard and turned off all of my "Real Time Protection" options.

Then I hit "ReTry" on the error box that popped during the installation process.

The rest of the installation went off without a hitch.

So, MAYBE, this is a MalwareBytes issue?

On 5/21/2020 at 11:53 PM, Daemon Davidson said:

I was "offered" an update to my RC install.  I accepted it, but pointed the updated code at my original SL directory.  

The update seemed to go smoothly until near the end, when I got an error about dullahan host (please accept spelling errors) "Abort, Retry, Skip"

With that dialogue still active, I went to my MalwareBytes dashboard and turned off all of my "Real Time Protection" options.

Then I hit "ReTry" on the error box that popped during the installation process.

The rest of the installation went off without a hitch.

So, MAYBE, this is a MalwareBytes issue?

Mmmmm. Interesting. Though my (full, paid for) copy of Malwarebytes is installed on both my laptop and pc. Will report back the next time if there's an issue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.