passing on built regions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1483 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think its time SL added a feature that would allow members who built fantastic regions for all to explore not die with the owner, I own and create the only one Jack the ripper of east London

and I am contemplating lowering my status as a just a member and that would mean losing all my land and all the years work I put in creating my region, it would be great if I was able to pass this on so someone else to continue. ( little like selling a house or a business or even giving it away

You can do that, if all the items included in your build are made by you, or if they are made by others and are transferable. When you set the land for sale, tick the box that says "Objects included in sale". Unfortunately, no-transfer objects cannot be included.

2 hours ago, greek Wingtips said:

I am contemplating lowering my status as a just a member and that would mean losing all my land and all the years work I put in creating my region,

yes but that's the choice you make .. no pay no stay
sometimes it's indeed a loss, but also often precious in the eyes of the creator, but nobody else wants to pay for it.

Matty is totally right about the things you have created .. and the things you bought  .. yóu are the only one who has a usersagreement for the items you bought, sometimes transferable, but if not.. can't pass it, and also shouldn't be made possible because of the rights owned by the creators.

If the buyer never turns on auto-return and just leaves the stuff alone, objects you continue to own should remain, I think. You'd want to test this to be sure.

Clearly they'd need to leave the items on the parcel, but if you set them "Shared" with a group, another owner in that group can move them around in the editor. That might be useful.

There are a tiny handful of SL historical landmarks that the Lab has taken over and owns themselves. This is necessarily an extremely exclusive group -- otherwise I'd get LL to take over all the railroad land my group owns and make an alt to do other stuff with equivalent tier. The economists call it "moral hazard" I think.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Clearly they'd need to leave the items on the parcel, but if you set them "Shared" with a group, another owner in that group can move them around in the editor. That might be useful.

I did this on a build I was making and styling for someone else. I just set everything to  a group they made for the purpose. It worked out very well. IF all items are set and shared with a group and the land set to the group, then I "think" you would be able to turn on autoreturn without any issues.   A quick test would confirm this.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

I did this on a build I was making and styling for someone else. I just set everything to  a group they made for the purpose. It worked out very well. IF all items are set and shared with a group and the land set to the group, then I "think" you would be able to turn on autoreturn without any issues.   A quick test would confirm this.   

Yes, I believe this is correct. Setting the objects to the same group the land is set (or deeded) to should make them immune from auto-return, I think, and sharing them with a group makes it possible for other members to move them around. (The thing about sharing with group, though: if they are transferable, members of the group can just Take them.)

But yeah, always test stuff like this. Things have a habit of going not quite as planned due to some oversight.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yes, I believe this is correct. Setting the objects to the same group the land is set (or deeded) to should make them immune from auto-return, I think, and sharing them with a group makes it possible for other members to move them around. (The thing about sharing with group, though: if they are transferable, members of the group can just Take them.)

But yeah, always test stuff like this. Things have a habit of going not quite as planned due to some oversight.

The GROUP could always be just the "buyer", the "seller" and an alt or two :D.   Agree though that some testing would be a good thing. 

Actually, in theory, it IS possible.

Read https://www.lindenlab.com/tos#tos5   section 4.1 specifically.  Quote "You may not sell, transfer or assign your Account or its contractual rights, licenses and obligations, to any third party (including, for the avoidance of doubt, permitting another individual to access your Account) without the prior written consent of Linden Lab. "  (bold and underlined by me)

I guess if you had good reason, and someone else was interested in taking it over, you could always ask LL for permission to transfer that specific account to the interested party. 

On 3/25/2020 at 4:29 AM, greek Wingtips said:

I am contemplating lowering my status as a just a member and that would mean losing all my land

Your region is a mainland region, right? There's no requirement to be premium to own estate regions, but many people think it's required.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1483 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.