Do you have "real" friendships in Second Life?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Certainly. I have one friend, for instance, whom I talk to pretty much every day in-world for, nor infrequently, hours on end.

Apparently we have between us produced 3.9mb worth of IMs over the course of the last year and a half, and she out-talks me by a statistically significant margin. I know this because she ran the numbers yesterday.

She neglected to account, however, for exchanges in DMs and public posts here on the forums. And, as we've been friends for about 10 years (during much of which, however, I was absent), I imagine that we have a pretty hefty weight of discourse propping up our friendship. Probably I should get her on to analyzing that too.

Yeah, she's a bit weird that way. But lovable.

• Like 6

Very much so! I'm very shy and don't make friends easily. I also don't have many, but the ones I have are the ones that count. My husband and three sisters aren't just friends, but my family. Things began in SL with my hubby, but evolved to rl over time. I'll be settling over in the UK in less than a year now with him. My three sisters are long time friends. All four have shown unconditional love and acceptance. I'm so blessed to have these beautiful people in my life and love them unconditionally.

• Like 8

I've only been on SL for about three months and though I have acquaintances I chat with from time to time I've yet to make real friends. However, having said that, I do think it's 100% possible to form real and true friendships various places online and Second Life is no acceptation. 

So: No I don't, but I'm looking forward to hopefully make some with time. 

• Like 4

I absolutely do, in fact I’m probably more of a “people person” here than in RL. Meaning I’m more likely to just randomly talk to people.

Also, I’ve been seriously into my SL Partner for about 15 years now......which kinda seems to indicate that “real feelings” are involved where I’m concerned 🙂

SL friendships have their ups and downs, just like RL. This is made more complicated in SL because in SL you sometimes encounter people who consider you “just an NPC in their personal Game”......but frankly, RL has no shortage of those.....

I value and love my SL friends for many reasons and I can’t really ever see giving them up until I experience that “final fatal error” and go offline for good.

Of course...in my little circle of friends I am also probably the “weirdness magnet” of the bunch; which is fun....

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29b04392526cc3e61373

• Like 7

I'm not big on friends in RL. I prefer acquaintances. But I do meet up for lunch or coffee occasionally with a few confidantes.

In SL, I have a small number of what I regard as good friends. Probably 80% forumites. Some I chat with every day I'm in world. 

I find friendship here is consequential. By that I mean it's not my objective, but it just evolves.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

Treat your friends like fingers!

Keep them out of your nose.

I have several very good friends in SL, people I have known for 13 years now (Gosh, it really has been 13 years!  My rezday was three days ago.  I almost forgot.) I have never met any of them in RL, but we chat, dance, swap stories, and get silly several times a week. They are the reason that I stayed after the first week or two, and I think they would each say the same thing about why they have stayed.  We've known each other through illnesses and deaths, career changes and retirement, and all the little daily crises that occupy our lives.  We're a good gang.

• Like 9

Yes, I do. Real friends I've made in SL, some I also now know outside of SL. The vast majority of my close friends in SL, however, are SL specific. We do not engage outside of SL and they do not share their RL names or info, so that is a tricky thing. When they disappear and stop logging in you really are at a loss and have no way to contact them or their family to find out if they are ok, died, or whatever. 

I've never thought of Second Life as a game. It is to me is and always will be a virtual society, virtual existence, and because of the nature of it not everyone you can be close in SL is willing to share their RL existences. They are here as [this name]. this personality, and that's who they are. Here. It is both a blessing and curse. Sometimes heartbreaking. 

• Like 4

Absolutely. I met my friend thru another virtual game. I met her cause she used to had an agency there and I used to be her model. We got pretty closed and I ended working as her graphic designer (which in RL is what I am, Im a Graphic Designer). We got bored to the other game and we both came here to SL years ago. We loved it so we stayed. We still friends. even though right now she's not login to SL anymore as before, we are still friends and talk on the phone.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.