The Self Care Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Day 2 of working from home, and now I don't ever want to go back into the office again. 😁

(And I am just adding a few comments here and there to get that awful spam off the front page).

Not only will I never want to go back to the office, but it will take me a while to get back into the habit of getting up earlier in order to go to the office.

When going into the office, I typically get up at 5:00 am or so to be at the office by 6:30.  When working from home I start anywhere from 6:30-7:00 and typically get out of bed about 10 minutes before that -- enough time to feed the cats and get a cup of coffee.  Shower and dressing happen at lunch time.

• Like 3

2 cups of Epsom salts and a few drops of lavender oil in a tub...stress-melting. 🌊 

I am only having one cup of coffee in the morning then switching to chai made with mostly chicory and spices, adding just a bit of black tea. My moods are still quite up and down though. I’m not really very good company at all. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I am only having one cup of coffee in the morning then switching to chai made with mostly chicory and spices, adding just a bit of black tea. My moods are still quite up and down though. I’m not really very good company at all. 

If I only had one cup of coffee in the morning, I would most definitely not be very good company for anyone.  I require a minimum of half the pot.

• Like 4

Normally.............

Up @ 5:50am, check e-mail, get dressed, check look, hop in car, drive thru Mc Clown faces for a coffee, medium cap, 3 raw shoogz and full cream milk, drive 22kms, start work @ 7:30.
Hardest part is getting car out of the backyard via second driveway. (huge corner block - gates n stuff).
I park it right up against a wall and sometimes it gets stuck, (totally my fault), so its back and forth, back and forth sneaking it out 1 degree of steering wheel at a time until its free.
Got a super new radio fitted to the little old thing, (don't own any cassettes lol), and sound is incredible so that makes it all worth the effort.

Drives off... boom tish, boom tish, boom tish....... cyaaaa~! 🖐️🤘✌️

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 2:45 AM, Skell Dagger said:

For anyone feeling off kilter, this blog post by author Chuck Wendig is a good read. (Warning: in usual Wendig-ian style, it contains no small amount of swearing, but in that cathartic kind of way that's very satisfying to read.) http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2020/03/19/its-okay-that-youre-not-okay/

Finally got around to reading the link and yeah, he's spot on!

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 8:29 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

If I only had one cup of coffee in the morning, I would most definitely not be very good company for anyone.  I require a minimum of half the pot.

I have tried unsuccessfully to limit my black tea intake and just the opposite of @Fauve Aeon, today I decided "flip" it, and had 4 cups of the hi test this morning.

Edited by kali Wylder
fix the misquote
  • Like 2

My self care for today was immersing myself in SL. I haven't felt like logging in since all this mess started for some reason. It's like I felt the world had gone so freaking crazy that I needed to keep myself grounded in reality or something.

So today my alt landed a sweet little cabin parcel in Bellisseria and then I spent the day galloping through all the new regions on horseback. I forgot how good it could feel to just shut everything else out for a while. 

It's okay to play pretend, isn't it? 

• Like 6

Dawn, dress fully, tea and sundries, hit the spring cleaning in the form of games with my gal crew, we post our cleaning rounds...
...self-care for me right now is comfort in routine on weekdays. Afternoons are for freelance work, art, hobby craft. 
61A6A602-8876-44F2-93A2-974A622B4DF1.thumb.jpeg.2634e6fcf42a6bc08b05da75f5b91cd2.jpeg

FFD204E1-DB5F-400C-A960-51959B804EE7.thumb.jpeg.d9dbbdfacc935664453d9bb2763bcd61.jpeg

4C3F3095-F186-4A2E-83B8-61417EF42D3C.thumb.jpeg.f3ea1a331955efc171df3ed91c9ab3bd.jpeg

2EA1E5DF-7F3E-4690-A25C-CBE8EE640017.thumb.jpeg.a81b5a1a44ed926c9fe817ac652d8dd6.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm not beating myself up about the house being a mess(much).  I don't have any extra time since I've always worked at home.  My work is just as demanding and stressful as always and really takes way too much time out of my day.  I do beat myself up because I haven't packed more, since when this siege is over I still plan to sell my house and get the heck out of dodge (dodge being Northern California which has permanently replaced autumn with fire season and it's not fun to live here anymore). I know beating my self  up is not exactly self care, I just don't know how to stop it. I do take longer than usual lunch breaks and I got permission from my boss to do so since i have to really force myself to go back to work. I'm taking online exercise classes put out by my workplace which is something they are doing to help their employees to keep their sanity.  It does seem to help me feel a bit better.  I am taking a mental health day off tomorrow, because my mental health is rather MIA right now.

Edited by kali Wylder
esl, my first language must be typonese
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Cindy Evanier said:

/me hands out tin hats to protect us from the trolls whose mission it is to get threads closed down or ponies.. we still haven't had our ponies 

I’ll re-start this sort of thread if it goes sideways. I’m sure several of us would. It will be ok. 🦋 

self-care, Pony AND TS. 😉

• Like 4

Now that we're a couple of months into this goofy awful pandemic, I find I'm surprised by how much my self-care needs have changed, or continually change. 

I'm wanting more silence then I ever thought I would. During the day, I'm working. When we worked in our offices, we'd often just sort of yell back and forth to each other, or walk into each other's offices to talk, etc. Now, though, it's all about dings. MS Teams dings, Zoom dings, FB dings, forum dings, Discord dings, Outlook dings... and that's only on my desktop. At the same time my phone is dinging with all those same dings, and so is my iPad. 

And then Alexa dings to let me know my Amazon order is on it's way. 

SO MUCH DINGING. 

Yes, I could turn it all off but I'm also afraid of either missing something important, or my boss trying to get hold of me and thinking I'm not working (this is absolutely not her style and she couldn't care less if I'm sitting at my desk or taking a nap on the couch as long as my work gets done).

So at 5:00 on the dot, I shut it all off. I turn on my governor's press conference that starts exactly the same way every single day. "We will get through this. We will get through this together. Repeat it with me - We will get through this, we will get through this together." He goes for an hour, and it's my signal that workday has ended and now it's me time. After that, it's an hour of quiet time spent usually on Discord, or sometimes inworld, chatting with my fella. Same routine every single weekday. 

It's silly, but it's helping me. 

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.