Chic Aeon

Sansar appears to NOW be owned by Wookey

Posted (edited)

Daisy get's the credit for reading the VERY small print under the links -- likely due to a Discord conversation about rights of the "new company".  

The bottom of Sansar.com reads.  © 2020 Wookey. All Rights Reserved

And the link to Wookey is here: https://wookey.com/

For more info see the Discord SANSAR channel (the one we seem to be using for EVERYTHING now as there isn't all that much conversation going on) LOL.   

So this seems to be official enough to post.  Of course we don't know what the plans are.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Was a bag of chips included in the sale? Offered to Wookey that is, not LL, heh.

Also, how long before this sub-forum is closed?

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

If you know how to look up corporations, you can find out who's behind Wookey. It's a buyer of distressed businesses. Anyway, this means Sansar is now totally removed as a distraction for LL management, and they can now focus on their core business, Second Life.

• Like 1

big applause again for the wonderful communication from LL that they sold our Sansar accounts

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Kurshie Muromachi said:

Not a name I'm familiar with in the business realm. Doesn't sound promising but we'll see. I found this page on their site doing a "site:wookey.com" query.

https://wookey.com/elementor-20/

The CSS on that page is absolutely WILD. At least on the mobile version. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

The CSS on that page is absolutely WILD. At least on the mobile version. 

haha yea. The effects/transitions used remind me of the old school days with Flash and stuff.

Good News!..the technology was not there both on the linden side & end user side..VR will never gain mainstream until the technology is something in regards to what is now science fiction..AR is more likely the inbetween technology until then.

Linden Lab did the right thing, they should have learned lessons for the next try in the years ahead.

I'd be interested in details, what was sold, what happens to Sansar, Sansar$, Do wookey now own user accounts, content, etc ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Shansi Kenin said:

Good News!..the technology was not there both on the linden side & end user side..VR will never gain mainstream until the technology is something in regards to what is now science fiction..AR is more likely the inbetween technology until then.

Which technology was missing exactly?

Because from what I seen every bit of tech was available, on both sides.

4 hours ago, Gindipple said:

To me, not the hardware, rather the software tech in Sansar was missing. Whether it be scripting API implementations or graphics related editor, the platform is lacking under many aspects in comparison to the competitors's standards. Support for PBR workflow isn't the only thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

To me, not the hardware, rather the software tech in Sansar was missing. Whether it be scripting API implementations or graphics related editor, the platform is lacking under many aspects in comparison to the competitors's standards. Support for PBR workflow isn't the only thing. 

Exactly .. the closest analogy I can think of is 'Windows Mobile' ...

• Well that's impressive! ... 
  • So how do I ... Not yet.
  • But can I just ... No.
  • Why did I ... !! Glorious potential !!
  • Feature parity !  ... bored now. Bye!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Gindipple said:

Because from what I seen every bit of tech was available, on both sides.

Well true VR is a long ways off until the diving goggles are replaced by something more simple then using contacts. manufacturing nodes are nowhere near were that will need to be. sansar was dead(was given up for adoption) for not having Mobile or Apple Support from the gitgo

Mobile support, a joke. What is it with people wanting a full fledged experience on a 3 inch screen?

Apple support, yes businesses should throw money at a 5% market....because you happen to be one of the 5%

The tech is there, hardware wise. They blew it on software side. Doesn't equate to the tech isn't there.

It equates to mismanaged resources and budget.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Inara Pey said:

A little late, but I published this over the weekend:

Sansar: looking at the apparent new owner – Wookey Projects Inc.

A quick look at Wookey Projects Inc (aka Wookey Search Technologies), and who runs it, the fact it might be transitioning its business into the AR / VR environment), etc.

Hopefully LL got enough cash to keep SL running for a couple of seconds. Anyone with a least amount of cerebral matter in their skull wouldn't have paid a pierced dime for it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Eh, I'll give them the benefit of my assuming they looked it over and played around before they bought it.  Maybe they got what they wanted.  They seem to be looking for a 3D presentation space that is encapsulated.  That is what they got.  Let's give them time to show the world what they intend to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Hopefully LL got enough cash to keep SL running for a couple of seconds.

Maybe they paid Wookey to take it and assume all debts :D

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Eh, I'll give them the benefit of my assuming they looked it over and played around before they bought it.  Maybe they got what they wanted.  They seem to be looking for a 3D presentation space that is encapsulated.  That is what they got.  Let's give them time to show the world what they intend to do with it.

And they had to buy a crippled product to do what basically anyone can do for free using Unity or Unreal Engine? If so, they will have to boot everyone out and keep it close to the general public, otherwise their intent is clearly to keep developing it and make it their own business. When full ownership will be established, their intent will be clear. Hopefully Wookey will be willing to put development on par, assuming that LL's developers haven't left the code in the same state of untouchable, un commented, undocumented spaghetti code as they did with SL code base. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

There's an official post up as of recent.

A lot of you might be wondering what we’ve been up to these past few weeks. Where we’ve been, what we’ve been working on, what’s next for this platform and its extraordinary community. Today, we finally have answers to share, and we can’t thank you guys enough for your patience and support in the meantime. None of this would be possible without you!

Meet the new Sansar. Recently we were presented with an exciting opportunity: strike out on our own as a new entity, under new management with a focus on premier virtual events. We knew we needed to keep together our team and our vision, and the incredible community we’d built over the years.

Lucky for us, there was a company out there just as ambitious and passionate about virtual events as we were - a team that is nurturing and expanding our platform to new heights, deploying capital and expertise in a time full of opportunities for virtual communities around the globe. This week, we’re thrilled to join their family officially. Join us in saying hello to our new owners, Wookey Project Corp.!

Wookey is bringing together some of the world’s most exciting technology verticals out there at the intersection of music and entertainment, AR, VR, and mobile.

Together, we’re turning a page on Sansar’s most dynamic chapter yet, and we’re excited to take you with us. We’re also grateful to Linden Lab for their many years of support, and we look forward to building on the work we started there.

What does this mean for you? More of the amazing events you know and love! More cosplay karaoke, more zero-gravity game nights, more of the massive interstellar shows that Sansar’s known for - thousands joining from anywhere in the world for one-of-a-kind live performances. You can also expect more features for meeting, socializing and hanging out with friends from around the world. Possibly even more ways to experience Sansar across different devices (more on this in weeks to come!). Nothing will change in your day-to-day.

In these challenging times, we know just how important it is to stay connected. That’s why we’ll be working hard these next few weeks to bring people together with new shows and surprises. Meet-and-greets and live performances from some of music’s biggest names. Virtual versions of the festivals you thought were canceled or postponed. It’ll be the most fun you ever had staying home!

Thanks to you, the future looks bright. We’ve said it before, we’ll say it again: Sansar wouldn’t be what it is today without its dedicated community. Big, big thanks to all of you still throwing parties, creating, exploring with friends and staying connected through Sansar. We’re ecstatic to be embarking on this journey with Wookey, and we couldn’t be more excited for what’s to come!

Edited by Kurshie Muromachi
Reflect changes to official post

What does this mean for you?

nothing else than that a empty account with hardly 30 minutes Sansar presence during the years is now in the  registers of another company i never signed up for. :)

• Like 1