Please do not delete this

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/25/2020 at 2:41 AM, kali Wylder said:

Oh Come now Prok, there’s no need to denigrate college students in defense of your perceptions of the free press.  I admit it. I went to college. It was over 30 years ago, but I went, and even got a BA. But I never took a survey course that included Chomsky, and I’ve never read The Intercept.

I’m very glad to hear that you think there is so much wild and free media.  But when I speak of  “The Press” I’m talking about the ones that everyone knows.  It doesn’t count as “The Press” if nobody sees it.  I am constantly searching for unbiased sources of news and they are hard to come by. 

And lets be honest, Twitter feeds are really just vanity press.

You don't really think that each person who hit follow once upon a time is still poring over every word a person tweets, do you?

1. You don't need to literally read a Chomsky book to read Chomsky as it has bled into much of college courses anyway in various forms, shaping your concept of "The Man" who is out to get you and suppressing all your freedoms.

2. There isn't any such thing as "everybody knows" anymore or "The Press" precisely because the media is so diverse now. The last time I remember everybody watching the exact same television show called "Huntley Brinkley" was when I was riding my bike down the street in Niagara Falls, NY in 1961, and a teenage boy rushed by and warned me that "Huntley Brinkley" was starting and I saw the dads coming home from work in time for Huntley Brinkley". By 1962, Ramparts magazine had started and -- oh, never mind, history is lost on the ideological such as yourself.

3. This is just a crazy, wild-eyed idea -- but maybe you can't find any unbiased news sources because...you're biased yourself. 

4. Twitter has a great diversity of truths and falsehoods and the wisdom is to know the difference.

5. You're welcome to have the last word as debates with anonymous people in SL even if they went to college 30 years ago are seldom rewarding.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/26/2020 at 4:26 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

My people have been telling the rest of the world that for over 200 years. People aren't listening. They're too selfish and greedy to listen.

oh so you have no heating , no cars no tv, no pc, no lappie, no medial care, no plastiv bowls or any modern ver usefull stuff?..
oh wait, you'r on SL so at least you have something that works like a computer.... sorry you'r found as guilty as anyone else.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 4:17 AM, Cindy Evanier said:

Doesn't matter what you call it, unless its properly enforced with fines and jail or some sort of punishment, there are plenty who seem to think it doesn't apply to them.  

interestingly,  the police here in New Zealand have been conducting random street checks.  Stop people and ask them if what they are doing is an essential activity. When they can't answer the question then according to the police, most people get embarrassed and apologetic and go back home

the police are doing the same with commercial premises, like go in to the shop and ask shopkeeper if they could explain what it is exactly they are doing/selling that would be essential to the health and wellbeing of the nation in this current situation.  Most shopkeepers it seems also get embarrassed and say maybe they should close and go home. And the police say that would be a good idea and thats what happens

has been the odd person who ended up in the police station but only after they had a physical go at a police officer seems like

i did read of one person who has been charged with failing to obey a medical order from a duly authorised medical officer. Not sure of the exact details of this, but apparently this charge has always been the law in NZ. Seems that if you are in a medical situation and the doctor/nurse/medic/etc orders you to do something to assist with the medical emergency situation and you refuse to obey the order then it can be a crime (which I never knew about until now). Like: please move away and give us room to work here, is an order to assist

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mollymews said:

interestingly,  the police here in New Zealand have been conducting random street checks.  Stop people and ask them if what they are doing is an essential activity. When they can't answer the question then according to the police, most people get embarrassed and apologetic and go back home

In the last day they have started patrolling, dispersing and generally questioning why people are out and about .  I have also seen reported of people deliberating coughing on people thinking that its funny???!  but they are now making this a criminal offence 

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

In the last day they have started patrolling, dispersing and generally questioning why people are out and about .  I have also seen reported of people deliberating couching on people thinking that its funny???!  but they are now making this a criminal offence 

this kind of behaviour is not funny at all.  There are idiots and morons in every country

and then there are the ones who know what they are doing is causing other people distress and do it anyway and then try to laugh it off as a joke. Typical bully behaviour. I have no problem at all with the bullies getting hauled down the police station for some close up questioning about their behaviour

• Like 2

Down in Colorado Spring - city south of Denver - the police say that their phones have been overwhelmed with calls from people reporting their neighbors for being outside in their own yard.  Geez - how are people that freakin stupid?  The TV news and the newspapers and the internet news are all giving full lists of what is and isn't considered okay - people are flat out told that they can go outside to exercise and such, but to just maintain distance.  These idiots read just enough to think they know it all and then do stupid things like hogging up the emergency lines with crap like that.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.